PDA

View Full Version : Irritable Bowel Syndrome, advice needed

jj.tails
08-10-08, 12:57
Hi. I'm actually a member of the site for my own anxiety issues, which haven't been too great lately. But my mum on and off has been suffering from stomach pains for a number of months. She has been to the GP about it and had tests and they suspect IBS. Since yesterday though the pains have been very violent and acute, she couldn't move out of bed and she's repeatedly being sick. She's very distressed. Took her to the emergency GP centre last night. They gave her an anti-sickness injection and some anti-sickness tablets and pain killers to take away. This morning still in acute pain and repeatedly vomiting if she tries to take on any fluid. So can't keep the tablets down. Back to A&E. She's had an ultra sound scan which is clear. Advised to keep taking the tablets to reduce the sikness and pain. Fine, if she can stop being sick long enough to hold down the tablets and some fluid. Otherwise it's a complete catch 22. So on top of everything I'm concerned she might get dehydrated. Thankfully she hasn't been sick again yet since getting back, though still very distressed. I'm left to deal with it at a time when my anxiety is already running riot, but there's not much else I can do but try to swallow it back and try to get on with it. I've come close to a panic attack twice already today so I'm not in the best of moods.

Sorry that's a long pre-amble. My question is can IBS be as acute and make you as unwell as all that? I don't know much about the condition so any advice or info would be welcome.

Andyroo
08-10-08, 13:03
hmm i have ibs and i know other people with ibs... if she is in that much pain id take her to the doctor and demand they do somthing about it.. if shes throwing up and nott getting enuff fluids .. thats not good. if she gets dehydrated that another problem added to the one she already has. if that was my mother id take her to the hospital and demand more thenjust pain killers.. mainly because she's throwing up and loosing fluids!

june
08-10-08, 13:29
jj.tails, I have just read IBS on left of screen it does not say about actual vomiting. try to keep mum calm and plenty of fluids.
BUT could you visit her doctor and explain how worried she is and how best can you help her???
sorry this is not much help
all my best wishes to you both
june

jj.tails
08-10-08, 14:06
hmm i have ibs and i know other people with ibs... if she is in that much pain id take her to the doctor and demand they do somthing about it.. if shes throwing up and nott getting enuff fluids .. thats not good. if she gets dehydrated that another problem added to the one she already has. if that was my mother id take her to the hospital and demand more thenjust pain killers.. mainly because she's throwing up and loosing fluids!
Hi Malv. She has at least not been sick since I brought her back from A&E and so the tablets have stayed down. Been to the hospital twice now in less than a day but they are unwilling to admit her. This morning at A&E the doctor will only speak to the patient privately, so exactly what was said I don't know. The advice she got to take the tablets and drinking plenty of water to counteract the problem of throwing up the tablets and fluid each time seems ridiculous to me, but I wasn't there to challenge it. She's sleeping now, but if she's sick again I'll call out her own GP and get her admitted anyway. I've got some soluble rehydration powders for her, but she doesn't like the taste so wont take them. So nobody is playing ball at the moment.

Thanks as well June. I think I've read some link between nausea/vomiting and IBS. The vomiting could be in response to the pain as much as anything. What has been coming up though is effectively bile from the stomach. Which I've found does not wash out of the carpet easily either. I just wasn't aware that IBS (if that's what it is) could cause this amount of pain and sickness.

june
09-10-08, 10:54
jj you must be at your wits end.
this is where "patient confidentiality" is wrong, when you are the only help the patient has you should be made aware of ALL the advice.
There are tablets you can take to "stop you throwing up" i take some for virtigo (which can make aperson qhite sick).
drink plenty of fluids = squash, water, herbal tea, weak tea all help.
In any case i would contact the GP just to put your own ming at rest.
my very best wishes to you both
june

peach
09-10-08, 11:38
hi,

ive had ibs for about 6 years now, and personally have never thrown up that intensly from it, not to say it cant happen, im sure it can.

i have however been THAT sick that ive wanted an ambulance called and have almost been unconcious with the pain. the pain experienced has been likened to labour pains.so it can be pretty bad for the sufferer.

im so sorry i cant offer more advice, but i can sympathise and feel awful for both of you.

ibs seems to be different for all sufferers. there is an ibs website that is similar to here and they have a forum also, perhaps this might help? sorry i dont have a link for you, but just google ibs forum and you will find it, its very popular, hopefully you may get more help there?
good luck to both of you in this tough time

jj.tails
12-10-08, 10:21
Hi. Thanks for your replys. Managed to get my mum admitted into hospital last Fri. She was constantly vomiting, no fluid for 4 days, and in very bad pain. Thankfully in hospital they've got her stabilised, rehydrated and relieved the pain by draining the pressure from her stomach. After a battery of tests it's not IBS but a blockage in the lower colon, possibly caused by chrones(?) disease. They are are operating, well, just as I type this. In some ways it's a bit of a relief. I've been bouncing up and down for the last week trying to get doctors etc to take notice because I knew there was something wrong that I couldn't take care of. At least now things are getting looked and should start to get resolved. Anyway, thanks for your replies.

Andyroo
12-10-08, 10:56
i new they should have done more then just give her a tablet :winks: told u she would get dehydrated!

june
12-10-08, 15:01
jj
just wanted you to know i think you have been a wonderful person:yesyes: :yesyes: you just did not give up:yesyes:
I hope your mom is ok now?
:hugs: :hugs:
to you both
june
ps there is a site for crohns - just read it in Mail on Sunday (health page 52)
www.crohns.org.uk (http://www.crohns.org.uk)
hope this helps
:)