PDA

View Full Version : Depersonalisation/things not seeming real

mlondon
08-10-08, 16:00
The hardest thing I find about anxiety is dealing with Depersonalisation, the feeling that things arn't real. I wonder if it is a problem with my eyes sometimes but then remember it occurs when I am in anxiety provoking situations or if I think about it. It can last for hours or until I am in a comfortable place where I feel safe. I feel like I am going to lose consciousness or am floating.

I am feeling it now. I know the reason, I have been under a huge amount of stress recently and have had some days off work due to flu. I became anxious about returning to work because the journey takes about 40 mins on the train. On top of this I saw some blurred writing today. Instead of thinkign like most would' that didn't print properly' I panicked that my eyes were blurring. This sent me into a feeling of dissociation which made me fear more how could I get home?!

Does anyone have any hints/tips for dealing with this feeling?

Tomimo
08-10-08, 20:35
I can totally sympathise as I find this such a horrible side effect.

The main advice I have been given is to just accept it, tryo not to panic (I know! vey hard) and let it be and eventually it will pass. It is your brain's way of protecting you I think.

Hope it passes soon
Annie x

feels_like_home
08-10-08, 22:22
I have been getting this symptom a lot more lately. I have also been more anxious lately as well. I try to distract myself by going on the computer, going for a walk or reading. Pretty much anything to take my mind off it. This site also makes me feel better because I know I am not alone. In time you will feel better.
Take care.
Michelle

solent
10-10-08, 12:49
Try taking up meditation or get some relaxation or hypnosis CDs. That will help lower your general stress levels and should help to reduce the number and severity of the attacks.

Natural Mystic
10-10-08, 19:08
The hardest thing I find about anxiety is dealing with Depersonalisation, the feeling that things arn't real. I wonder if it is a problem with my eyes sometimes but then remember it occurs when I am in anxiety provoking situations or if I think about it. It can last for hours or until I am in a comfortable place where I feel safe. I feel like I am going to lose consciousness or am floating.

I am feeling it now. I know the reason, I have been under a huge amount of stress recently and have had some days off work due to flu. I became anxious about returning to work because the journey takes about 40 mins on the train. On top of this I saw some blurred writing today. Instead of thinkign like most would' that didn't print properly' I panicked that my eyes were blurring. This sent me into a feeling of dissociation which made me fear more how could I get home?!

Does anyone have any hints/tips for dealing with this feeling?
I know EXACTLY what you mean, I'm feeling it right now, hence my logging on here.

I also feel as if I'm going to lose control, as if my mind is going somewhere and I have to pull back to reality.

Iam so upset by it because I've had a fab anxiety attack free couple of weeks and feel that I've even felt relaxed and at ease about it all. Suddenly it came upon me about half hour ago, out of nowhere. I'm trying not to panic about it.

pinkpiglet
10-10-08, 20:11
Depersonalization as always been my worst symptom of anxiety. I hate it! I can sometimes deal with it but sometimes i can't. I think it depends on who is around me, where i am and my level of anxiety. I do find that having agood magazine to flick through helps though.

CrossingTheWater
11-10-08, 03:08
Depersonalisation is one of the most horrible things ever! But it'll never physically hurt you.

When you get it, does your vision go a bit hazy? That happens to me and apparently it's all anxiety.

Firstly, recognise that it is an unpleasant, but totally non-harmful sensation. It won't make you faint or be ill - it's just a bit scary sometimes.

Secondly, try to find a quiet place where you can go to relax for a few minutes. Sitting down is probably better than standing up if you feel faint. If you have an object that you can touch like worry beads, that might help. I think there is a technique called 'grounding' which is used in situations like this. You touch something solid to remind yourself that you're in a stable place and you're not going to float away. You can then do something mundane like counting the number of red cars in the street or counting backwards from 100. Think of things you can smell - bring perfume if you can! Then focus on taste etc. It's a way of using the senses to bring yourself back into the real world, I think.

Clock watching doesn't work for everyone, but I try to make a list of times and cross off every 1/4 of an hour. As the time goes on I get less anxious because I think 'If I've felt ill for this long and nothing bad has happened then I'll surely be fine later'.

Another thing I do which might be a bit impractical in the workplace is, every time I feel something scary e.g. a headache and I'm worried that it's meningitis, I write down my fear on a small piece of paper. Now whenever I think my headache is meningitis I reach into a draw and find (literally) fifty pieces of paper with exactly the same worry written down. It feels like a solid piece of evidence, proving that I've felt a certain thing loads of times and it's never been anything bad. Is this making sense?

Lastly, you could make up a back-up plan in case you really do want to go home. Say 'if it gets to X point and I still feel bad, then I can order a taxi to take me home'. Or something like that. Is there anyone who you could phone to distract you?

Hope this is a bit helpful, at least! :hugs:

djvtech
12-10-08, 05:18
I can fully relate. I have had this for 3 days strait once, and had it for a few minutes the other night. I almost started getting it earlier because I had some dark chocolate not long ago and sometimes that makes me anxious but now its starting to make me real happy lol. I can't stop smiling right now.:)

Anyway, anything that distracts you from it can help. I find sitting and doing nothing makes it worse. Like everyone said, accept, it and go with it. It will pass. I think going for a jog or light run would be good.