PDA

View Full Version : The "Right" picture

Bill
10-10-08, 02:53
I had to go to the dentists the other day as a follow up after a tooth extraction which was a bit of a trauma because it wouldn't come out so I was in the chair for over an hour with the dentists fighting with it! This time though I was in and out with no problems thank goodness!

I must admit though that before I went in I didn't really think about my previous visit. I'd forgotten what I'd gone through. I was actually thinking about what I wanted to do once I'd got back.

Often though if I'm feeling anxious in the chair, I'll close my eyes and think of something or somewhere nice and take my mind there while the dentist is at work. I often nearly fall asleep! I told the dentist and he said people often do so not to worry about it!

I was thinking tonight about rugby players and when they kick conversions after a try. How do they not think of missing? Actually, I discovered that their thought patterns are exactly the same as when I play bowls. They look at the point between the posts where they want to kick then follow it's track back to the ball and then where on the ball they need to kick for it to travel the correct path. They don't think about missing, the consequences of missing or the crowd around them. Nor do they think about intrusive thoughts. All they think about is their kick and the path it needs to take.

They actually build up a picture so that they visualise what will happen before it happens. It doesn't mean they'll get it right or it'll work out as they expect but if it doesn't, they just keep practising.

It's the same with panics. If we go out with the wrong picture, we'll end up experiencing panics. The wrong picture is thinking "what if" because these what if's create worry which create stress which cause panics. The right picture is to think about where we want to go, how we're going to get there and what we want to achieve. Just like the rugby player, we have to create the right picture by creating the right route in our minds by not thinking about "missing" or things going wrong.

If things then go wrong, we just have to keep practising until we rebuild our confidence and get it right.

I had a good friend who couldn't leave her house due to panics. In the time I knew her, she improved so much that now she's working and planning a holiday abroad so I do know it Is very much possible to overcome panics with the right methods that are appropriate for the individual.

The power is within our own minds. We "may" need medication to "help" us through a bad spell and we "may" need professionals to "guide" us back from the wilderness but the actual "power" we need to overcome panics is held within "ourselves" and it just needs to be tapped into and used in the correct ways but I am 100% certain that Anyone can learn how based on sufferers I have known.:hugs:

Veronica H
10-10-08, 09:13
:) Thanks Bill. I am overdue for a checkup at the dentist but despite having success with Dr Weekes techniques when I am out, I just cannot persuade myself to go to the dentist. I was thinking of taking my emergency only Diazipam on the assumption that the longer I avoid it the worse the urge not to go will become. It seems a drastic solution though. Still not sure what to do.

Veronica

Yvonne
10-10-08, 18:47
Good post Bill.

Veronica I am not going to be able to give you advice about going to the dentist cos I hate it !!! Not so much the dentist - not really scared of the drill and stuff but hate the fact that I am trapped in that damned chair!! One thing though. I had to have a tooth out as an emergency and I was very very anxious. I told the dentist and boy did he treat me with kyd gloves he was just lovely and even asked me if I'd like him to do the work on me with me sitting on the work surface rather than sitting in the chair. If you tell these people you are mega anxious they are keen to oblige.

Bill; the visualisation is something I'm meant to be practising myself - just can't remember to do it. Paul McKenna advises visualisation a lot because the mind can't distinguish whether something is happening in the mind or really happening. If you visualise positive outcomes etc the mind will fall for it.

Veronica H
10-10-08, 19:17
Hi Yvonne

I will tell my dentist as he is really nice anyway. I think I have to face this soon:unsure: . You mentioned Paul Mckenna, could you give me somemore information on this please. I am glad you made it to the dentist yourself. I think as this is only a check up I should go because if it was an emergency appointment I don't know how I would cope right now.
:bighug1: Thanks for the reply.

Veronica

keepemlaughing
10-10-08, 19:21
Bill, what an inspirational post. sounds like you are on the right track.
Blessings,
Sheryl

marie1974
10-10-08, 19:22
hi bill, glad the dentist went ok and i agree with wot u say, i used meds for a while and seeked counselling but most of the hard work to beat my depression, panics and anxietys etc have come from within me.

i realised how strong i was as a person and fought it and won, its made me a much more postive and happier person.

hope u well bill xx