PDA

View Full Version : worried about stomach cancer

barracuda girl
10-10-08, 16:18
Hi Guys
Newbie here -have followed this forum for a while, you lot are great !:yesyes:

Am really worried about my stomach. Have been very stressed and anxious recently - bereavements and stuff like that. Have suffered from HA for many years.
Anyhoo - had what started out as acid indigestion - got omeprazole from docs . Worked for a week then symptoms back! Eventually was suffering horrible hunger pains most of the morning (although am eating normally)- it felt like my stomach was on the verge on rumbling all the time but it never did. Decided to come off the omeprazole - the hunger pains went though stomach still felt dodgy - burps and gurgles in my throat but in all seemed much better. Then the hunger pains came back - have appoinment with a consultant in two weeks and docs have put me on low dose lansoprazole - too early to tell if that will help - its day 2 and so far not. The only time I get any relief is when I am asleep symptoms tend to kick in a while after waking up, so not the typical acid indigestion awake all night scenario.
Am really worried that I HAVE STOMACH CANCER :ohmy: or some sort of ovarian tumour pressing on my stomach - mum died of ovarian cancer a few years ago. Docs felt my tummy and says feels fine and at my age (42) not worried about cancer but I can't get it out of my mind , can all this be caused by stress and anxiety? How am I going to wait two weeks for the appointment ......aaagh:scared15:

yanksforever
10-10-08, 16:27
Welcome to NMP!

Your symptoms just dont sound like anything serious to me. I think you just have acid reflux and gas/trapped wind but everything is getting worst because of your health anxiety. Anxiety creates lots of havoc in the stomach. You're 42? I'm 19 and I get the same symptoms as you, especially gurgles and burping issues. Try some gingerale or maybe some Pepto Bismol (do they have that in the UK??? cuz I'm originally from NY). It sounds like something very minor. Also could you actually be hungry when you get the hunger pains? Are you eating properly and could something that you're eating be causing this?

titch
10-10-08, 16:31
:welcome: to nmp...stop your worrying i have just the same as you..no matter what i eat i still get hunger pains etc...and lately my stomach has felt heavy too..went to docs this morning he said nothing to worry about its all just anxiety....keep strong..

barracuda girl
10-10-08, 16:37
Thanks Guys
Good to know that I am not alone in this (though of course the symptoms suck!)

I am definitely not hungry when I get this pains - eating sometimes but not always relieves them.

I hate Health anxiety - I wish I didn't worry all the time...:weep:

shirtie86
10-10-08, 18:37
Hey
I had exactly the same worries even thought it might of been my apendix aswell ! I remeber walking to the doctors and getting this horrible pain in my gut ended up running home and missing the appointment :blush: went to the docs finaly lol turned out to be nothing my bladder was abit full thats all lol anxiety affects everything and then magnifies it in your mind especialy if its the only thing you can focus on, seems the balance of the body goes.

try not to worry I know its hard but things will work out

Pauly xx

vti2007
10-10-08, 18:57
Hi Barracuda Girl,

I wouldn't worry too much - anxiety goes straight to my stomach every time. Stress and Anxiety can really mess with your stomach .You symptoms sound similar to mine. I also found that omeprazole made me worse.

I now use lanzaprozole as and when needed. Works quite well that way and apparently it works for 2-3 days after you have taken it. I find that a nasty bout of indigestion really upsets my system now.

Hope that helps :)

pinkpiglet
10-10-08, 20:36
EEK! you're worrying me now barracuda girl!!
for the past year or so i'v had awful hunger pains on waking and just a lately i have had hunger pains for no reason (when i have eaten well). I recently had a terrible bout of nausea too but that as now gone. My most annoying symptoms though are trapped wind and indigestion (really bad) especially after eating. Last night ordered an indian (had not eaten since lunch). After four fork fulls i had to scrape it in the bin (aghast!!) as i felt soooo ill, it felt as if i had eaten a donkey between two bread vans. I had to go to bed and lie flat and it took ages for it to pass. I was going to post a thread tonight but then i saw yours and now i am worrying because i had pushed the thought of stomach cancer to the back of my mind. I started taking fluoxetine 9 weeks ago so i was hoping that it could just be a harmless side affect. What makes you think that it is stomach cancer??

barracuda girl
12-10-08, 23:35
pink piglet - I think the probs you have been having may be linked to the fluoxetine , had tummy troubles when on these, and they settled down after a few months.
I worry about cancer because that is my thing - my health anxiety is centered entirely around cancer.
Have changed to lansoprazole now and though the hunger pains are gone I keep getting brief episodes of pain in my upper abdomen :scared15: - stomach - wondered if this was a medicine side effect, anyone had this? Thinking of stopping meds seeing GP Wednesday.

barracuda girl
29-10-08, 10:09
Well - I have been to the consultant and she thinks it may be acid reflux or thrush in stomach caused by antibiotics . I am having a gastroscopy today. Don't know what I am more worried about - cancer or the procedure (think- dying from the sedative, having my duodenum punctured - I wish they had not given me a "what can go wrong:ohmy: "leaflet.......)

jannnne
29-10-08, 10:15
OOOOh I have exactly the same symptoms as you I am 39 I am having treatment in case it is Helicobacter Pylori and am waiting to be referred. I am soo worried it is cancer too....The hunger, the acid, the pain not to mention the gurgling and burping, eating relives mine too, I am eating something small every hour at the moment have tried all sorts of acid stopping pills none seem to work although I think they take the edge off it. Hope all goes well for you, please let us know I shall follow you post with great interest. Lots of love Janexxx

jojo10
29-10-08, 10:43
i am new here ! :) I found this site while despercatelt scouring the internet for answers ! I had two nasty anxiety attacks (i'm told by the DR) in Aug this year, ever since i have been plagued by anxiety - thinking i am seriously ill (i think i have suffered with stress, despression & anxiety for yrs but not aknowledged it until i had these nasty attacks). I have been to the Drs and had ECG & Blood etc...eveything came back fine. The Dr gave me Cipralex 5mg for 4wks but it made me feel awful far worse than the anxiety. He then gave me Seroxat 20mg but this made me feel like i was going to dye ! I have stopped the Meds (last week) but i feel like i am going mad and eveything hurts, nausea, head, eyes senstive to light the list goes on...could this be withdraw from the Meds after such a short time on them? The Dr makes me feel like i am wasting his time...I feel like i want to scream...i feel like i am going to Dye eveyday ! I am still working and trying to me a mother, partner etc... but this is driving me mad ! Sorry to go on but this is my first time of getting it off my chest..... :)

barracuda girl
30-10-08, 17:21
Well - as usual my health anxiety was misplaced - I have a small hiatal hernia
and just need to take antiacids as and when. Nothing serious.:yahoo:
Alll that worry for nothing - will I never learn?:doh: