PDA

View Full Version : The Power of the Human Mind

monika
10-10-08, 17:59
The Human Mind if very powerful. I believe that we have the power to change drastically how we feel both mentally and physically, if we let our selves ( i know, not ground-breaking, but still very true).

One night, I was thinking about how much i think about my anxiety, and i was SHOCKED at how much i think of it. That can not be healthy, i though.
What percentage of your thoughts is focused on anxiety, panic attacks, depression, ocd, intrusive thoughts etc... I know on my worst days, it takes up a good 80-90%. Obviously, thinking like this so much will result in a horrible day.

Did you know that there have been cases, where a woman has been so obsessed with getting pregnant, they've actually experienced the symptoms of being pregnent, like morning sickness, no periods etc. Isn't that weird?! Well, this shows us the effect of our thoughts and our body. If you fear getting leukimia or some other sickness, and think about that fear constantly, your worst nightmare comes true, and you will start feeling symptoms of sickness, though no sickness is actually there.

My point is, that before we can heal ourselves completly, we have to let go of these thoughts, and stop letting them take over are lives. The more we think about them, the more are body accepts them, and sooner or later we get both physical and mental problems. And it doens't matter which one came first, because they both thrive on eachother and create a disastorous spiral of unwanted negative thoughts and feelings. We have to learn to let them go. You have to accept the anxiety, and after that patience is key.

Stay Positive!
Monika

The root cause of all disease is a negative attitude about taking care of yourself.

To heal ilness, begin by restoring balance.

Speak or act negativly, pain follows, Speak or act with a pure heart, and happiness follows.

It's never too late to create a new body.

Wellness is our natural state. Disease is an imposter.

worryguy9
10-10-08, 18:09
Hear Hear! Excellent post, really well said.

I know this is certainly true for me, I have started to get a handle on these thoughts after my latest 'relapse' and my symptoms have disapated considerably. When they do, you soon realise it's all in your head and the power these thoughts have over you is severely undermined. It just takes that initial discipline and iron will to block out these thoughts for a few days and see what happens.

monika
10-10-08, 18:59
Exactly. Once you handle these thoughts, your process of recovery sky rockets.

meemo
10-10-08, 19:18
Hi Monika

What you have said is so so true, and i also worry about my health whether this is a symptom of this blah, blah blah everyday and at my worst it is 80-90% of the time and meanwhile my life is passing me by. It is so, so draining, frustrating, depressing and sad. Sometimes i can be strong and rise above it, but at other times it completely takes a hold of me. I can swing from these two positions frequently throughout the course of the day, one minute i feel hopeless and the next angry, the next i feel ok and can look back and see how silly i have been but then within 2 secs time i am back to feeling anxious. It is a never ending battle - when will it end, this is what i ask myself, i just hope that it will end??

Natural Mystic
10-10-08, 19:46
Fantastic post and something I totally believe in. It's hard but it can be done.

I have tried to push this hell out by being stronger than it, kinda like "get the hell out, I'm not scared of you" type of thing.

Does that make sense lol

JohnBliss
10-10-08, 20:05
You're spot on .There is nothing anxiety likes more than a good fight and attention. the more you ignore the anxious thoughts
the weaker and less intrusive they become. It's not easy but it can be done.
Best of luck
John

monika
10-10-08, 20:27
meemo, i know what you mean about how you feel you can handle your anxiety, and then you feel hopeless.
You just have to stay positive! i know its hard, but its worth it.

yanksforever
10-10-08, 21:24
Yeah, it can be done and it's veyr much worth it. I know very well what I was like before the HA came about. It was only back in June that I was just totally normal and than this cr&* happend to me! It can leave you depressed and hopeless.

For me the tide turned in the middle of August when my cousin got married. It was the first marriage I had attended within my family in 11 years. Weddings in my culture are so exciting and while I was wrapped up in my heart being an issue during the wedding---i noticed that I couldn't even help but be distracted from it. I also noticed and realized that my skipped beats dissappeared during the wedding. That helped me to move on from my heart.

Thank God for that wedding, because from mid June until mid August I was a miserable mess. I would wake up and just wait to collapse and die. I thought my heart was ready to stop beating, or that I had this or that every day! Everyday it was something.

It's still there...but I just deal with it so much better now. I understand symptoms and what causes them, and how SO MANY of my symptoms come about from anxiety.

I know we can all make it through this. If I have made even a little recovery, you can too. We all don't have to be so miserable. Our nature is to be happy. We can be happy. Our bodies and our brains are programmed to be happy!

We can do it.

Crash180
10-10-08, 23:57
I would agree that your mind can really make you think you are very ill. Once you accept that thought you can really tell yourself it is going to be ok and nothing is wrong.

Yvonne
11-10-08, 18:02
Monika

Yes, good post I liked it, and my sentiments exactly. If I had thought that the thoughts have so much power a few years ago I would have laughed. It's completely true though. I've read a lot and I do know that the mind has immense power.

Thing is..............................just how doyou drop those thoughts when you are feeling anxious. It aint that easy, not even when you have had cbt and are now having cbt revamped.

Answers please.

Love to allx

Yvonne
11-10-08, 18:04
PS to my m essage above

It's a shame there isn't some kind of "anxious thought wiping technique" for the ole mind. You know, just wipe out thoughts of anxiety and all the bad memories we have of it. Of course, memory has a great deal to do with this as well.

Yvonne