PDA

View Full Version : lump in neck

huishl2
10-10-08, 22:13
hi new to this but desp need some advice
I have this lumpon my neck about an inch behind my neck . Has been there for about 6 months and still hasn't gone down. I am really worried about have been to see the GP and was told nothing to worry about. I have been diagnosed as anaemic and given tablets don;t know if this has anythign to do with the lump but its all doing my head in. I felt it earlier and it does feel bigger but then it doesn;t help that I am constantly playing with it!
Any help/advice greatly apprec!
Many thanks :winks:

reddevil
10-10-08, 22:17
Hi,

When did you see the GP, was it 6 months ago or in the last week?

You could go back for a second opinion if it's on your mind, then if it is still nothing to worry about, then just forget it's there...!

Red

huishl2
10-10-08, 22:22
went to see the GP when I first found it , then went back about 2 months after that to see another GP and was told not to worry some people are just lumpy. I did have a Full Blood Count and that was fine except the anaemia which got sorted . (Went to give blood earlier on this week and was told I couldn't so that is obviously back) I haven't mentioned it to her since and she hasn't brought it up when I have been bak there for other stuff and feel like I am going on a bit if I do bring it up. Just really worried that it could be something and I have done the worst thing and googled it!:scared15:
thank u for your reply :yesyes:

Tango1610
10-10-08, 22:23
How big is it?

LeeBee
10-10-08, 22:24
What did the doctor say that they thought it was? It could be a lymph node, which you have in various locations around your neck. Sometimes a node becomes permanently swollen. It's quite common and nothing to worry about. I've got one under my ear that has been like that for years. If the doc has given it the all-clear I think you can relax.

huishl2
10-10-08, 22:25
No bigger than a pea. It is now slightly larger than it orignally was but I am sure poking it all the time doesn't help!

reddevil
10-10-08, 22:32
LeeBee is bang on there, I have had lots of lymph nodes around my neck in the past.

Red

huishl2
10-10-08, 22:35
thank you so much that has made me feel better! I just panic a bit with stuff like this . I keep saying to myself it has prob been there for ages and I just happened to stumble upon it. I just wish I had never b****y found it! They did say it was a swollen lymph node but I just thought it would go down . Thank you again

smcc8172
10-10-08, 23:01
I had this after a virus- was convinced it was sinister- turned out to be an enlarged gland in my neck lasted about 6 weeks then disappered.

piglits pal
11-10-08, 16:20
If it's about pea size and scoots about under your finger it is a lymph node. There are loads of them all round your neck and throat. Sometimes they pop out if you are sick or run down. Sometimes they subside again or, like me, they stay out. I have several on both sides of my neck and in my collarbone that you can feel.

If it's lymphoma you are worried about then that would feel craggy, like a bag of broken marbles.

huishl2
12-10-08, 22:02
Thank you for all your posts..you have mafe me feel a whole lot better!never going to google again, well try not to:winks: !

EmmaJane
15-11-08, 10:41
Im struggling with the same problem at the moment

Charlottie
15-11-08, 22:46
If it's about pea size and scoots about under your finger it is a lymph node. There are loads of them all round your neck and throat. Sometimes they pop out if you are sick or run down. Sometimes they subside again or, like me, they stay out. I have several on both sides of my neck and in my collarbone that you can feel.

If it's lymphoma you are worried about then that would feel craggy, like a bag of broken marbles.

YOU ARE AWESOME!

I have one in my neck, been there for about 2 years, constantly worries me. But it's about the size of an acorn, I can't hold it down it moves about as soon as I press it and its like a smooth ball. I feel so much better! THANKS!

EmmaJane
16-11-08, 19:20
Youv'e kind of put my mind at rest aswell PIGLITS PAL. I have one on my neck, doc said its a Lymph Node. I am/was worrying about Lymphoma, but mine is smooth and moves around. I do have a similar prob under my arm as well, where they feel like loads of little ones, but I think its always like that?

Ive decided to back to the docs tomorrow to double check.

I caught nits off the kids a few months back and I have loads of hair, that I cannot get rid of the things. It has given me sores and cuts on my scalp from all the itching. I found out today, that this could cause the glands to come up aswell if infected.

Babbling a bit now, so ill go and read some more posts :-)

PhoenixGrey
16-11-08, 19:30
I've had an unexplained lymph up on my neck for just over a month now - no explanation except doctors tell me I am getting over some sort of illness, although I can't figure out what that is.

My doctor said it would be hard and craggy if it was lymphoma - and that if it was painless to go and get it checked out, but otherwise to ignore it.

I constantly check up on my neck - but my most recent doctors visit told me that my constant playing with it could stimulate it and therefore could drastically reduce the chances of it ever going down. Best thing to do is leave it - if it still worries you, go to see another doctor and insist on more tests. But otherwise ignore it and it'll go away - or its one of those freak things your body has that maybe you've just never noticed before. :)

huishl2
23-11-08, 21:41
well that lump is still there . Not got any bigger and it is doing my head in. I got an appt down the doc on Thursday so might mention it again. I wish I had ever found it!!Has anyone else had a lump on the neck thatstays up this long?

Charlottie
23-11-08, 23:18
2 years and counting!