PDA

View Full Version : C B T

jon1
01-06-05, 22:00
I'm Jon1 and I found this site just over a week ago.I wish it had existed20 years ago when my panic attacks started.I guess I've never really accepted what happened to me.I always thought that it was a weakness in me that I had to overcome by sheer will power.I used to go to doctor's and try to explain how I felt but would just be prescribed tranquillisers or anti depressants.I feel that after 20 years of ducking and diving I've reached the end of the line.Right now I'm off work [I'm a teacher] and I've got my Head sending me letters demanding to know when I'm going back.I really need to talk to people who understand just how it feels face to face.I live in Yorkshire.Is there anyone who wants to talk?

Meg
01-06-05, 22:12
Hello Jon,

I'm glad you've found us now and understand that it has nothing to do with a weakness at all. It does take hard work and willpower to overcome though either with or without professional CBT.

Your head is not adhering to protocols.

He can request a medical report or schedule a home meeting with you to discuss your prognosis as far as work is concerned but sending several letterS whilst you're off sick could be seen as harrassment.

Discuss it with your union.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Jrank
01-06-05, 22:47
Try and get involved in a cbt program as I am in one now and it is pretty amazing how much better I am already doing. If you can't afford professional help (I can't either I am a college student) there are lots of good cbt books and if you practice the exercises it will likely help you a lot.

jon1
01-06-05, 22:57
I forgot to add that my GP put me forward for CBT treatment.I don't know what this means.Can someone explain it to me.

Meg
01-06-05, 22:58
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/therapy.htm

and to see it in practice ..

Maxine's cbt progress. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308)

Karen
01-06-05, 23:03
Hi Jon1

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

pips
01-06-05, 23:18
Hi Jon1

A warm welcome to the forum.

Hope we can help!

Take care

Love PIP'S XX

henri
01-06-05, 23:19
hey jon,
welcome to the site!
CBT has worked for lots of people (me included), although not everyone finds it helpful. it's quite expensive so if you are able to get it through your doctor on the nhs, that would be great.
let us know how it goes,
henri

sal
02-06-05, 00:13
Hi Jon

Sorry it has being so hard for you and how hard it is for your head teacher to understand. Sometimes we all feel we come across people when we are feeling like this and they seem to approach us as Ignorance is Bliss, but they obviously dont understand and we would never wish it upon them.

Where about in Yorkshire do you live. If you ever fancy chatting email me or pm me and i will give you my number.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

sal
02-06-05, 00:16
Hi Jon

Sorry forgot to mention the CBT if it is available for you, give it a try it honestly turned my life around along with the help of this forum.

It is cognitive behavioural therapy. It doesnt act like a one to one couselling session but looks into your thinking and why you react how you do. Shows you perspectives in life that we wouldnt question unless in this situation. I found it did delve in to my past but on a scale that related to my anxiety and it teaches you to retrain your mind and test your feelings out, to show they are due to anxiety and not actual actions.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

nomorepanic
02-06-05, 18:59
Hi Jon and welcome aboard.

You can also get a telephone recovery course run by the charity No Panic that involves a weekly phone-call so that may suit you too.

Hope to hear more from you.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

sal
02-06-05, 23:42
Hi Jon

Got your pm and will reply to you. You have had some great replies and hope you are doing okay.

Love Sal xx

jon1
03-06-05, 23:25
Thank you to everyone who replied to me.It's so good to be in touch with people who have an understanding. Panic can make you feel so lonely.

sal
06-06-05, 23:46
Hi Jon

Yes it can and i will reply to your pm and sorry i havent but havent being on the site at the weekend as had my engagement party and it took a toll on me.

Will pm you tomorrow and remember hun you are not alone and i am really sorry for not replying when you are feeling like you do.

Love Sal xx