PDA

View Full Version : Saying yes

LoveMusic
10-10-08, 23:36
Hi,
I've had attacks for years, and had a recent stage of panic disorder. I am slowly recovering. However, recently agreed to go to a halloween party and even though I only said yes earlier, I am already feeling anxious and get the swooping feeling of anxiety at the thought.

I don't know why this has to happen, I realise logically all the positive things.

In my current sensitized state I really don't want something concrete to worry about and fixate on.

roosey
10-10-08, 23:52
Hi I am a bit like this when someone asks me to go somewhere , i say yes and sort of like the idea. Then when it gets near the time i don't want to go . I get myself in a state and then feel ill. Just recently my GP has changed my antidepressants from Cipramil to Cipralex , and I have been better . I actually went out last Friday with a group of friends and also had a trip to Liverpool on Tue , and i managed fine , and dint get myself worked up.. so I am really pleased and feel it is a step in the right direction

LoveMusic
13-10-08, 20:14
Booked the tickets.

Eek!

Bill
15-10-08, 03:27
Anticipation anxiety.

It's perfectly natural to feel anxious about attending places that are outside our "safety boundaries". It's a new experience in a crowded situation. We visualise it and we picture how we will feel. We plan our panics and work out an escape!

We either end up not going and beating ourselves up for giving up or we go and experience panics when we're there and Still end up feeling a failure. We work it all out how we're going to let fear stop us enjoying ourselves.

In the end it's up to us whether we let our fear control us or push ourselves when we really want to achieve something that's important to us.

So, the first step is to make sure you GO and the next step is to make sure you Focus on Enjoying yourself, what you're seeing, what you're doing and what you're saying, and Not think "inwardly" about yourself and what you're feeling. Mingle and don't be afraid to just be yourself. Don't try to be what you think others would expect you to be, just be You because they'll accept you for who You are.

It just takes practise and the more you practise and learn that you Can enjoy yourself, the less anticipation anxiety you'll experience because you'll be buildng your confidence in new surroundings.

You'll Love it! :hugs:

Eva May
15-10-08, 11:15
I agreed to go to my sister's graduation in a few weeks. Now I'm wondering how the hell I'm supposed go and sit in a room full of people and wait for her to be called

Wenjoy
15-10-08, 14:33
Hi - Firstly, Eva May - I went to my daughters graduation on the hottest day of the year (28 degrees - in Birmingham) in ahuge hall and had to sit in the middle of a row surrounded by people - I did have a panic but asked the lady ont he door if I could sit with her by the exit - so poor hubby was left sitting on his own but the main thing is I DIDNT RUN OUT - so if I can do it - I know you can - Im beginning to learn its better to face the fear and accept it - Ive just booked tickets to a concert tomorrow night and am s******g myself now but I think well - its 50/50 if I panic so why not just go anyh0w and I will deal with the panic if it arises - I may be sat there frozen in panic but at least Im doingit - my husband so wants to go to this concert so I will go and just try and relax. For me its the breathing thing and getting hot but I will take a programme to fan myself with and rescue remedy spray!!
Good luck and let us know how you get on. Wenjoy x

Eva May
16-10-08, 12:52
Thanks Wenjoy, I'll keep you posted!

*natalie*
16-10-08, 13:18
I hate getting invited to things because i know most of the time i will end up having to tell people no i cant come and then have to think of some excuse why