PDA

View Full Version : I'm doing a night class at college

CrossingTheWater
11-10-08, 03:31
I've posted a similar thing in a different forum, but I thought that maybe people who specifically have anxiety will understand what I'm talking about more than anyone else. So anyway, I'm 16 and had to stop going into school because of anxiety & depression. I now have to do a sort of evening class in English at the local 6th form college. I'm doing 4 other subjects at home, so that's a lot easier to manage, but going into a class is just unbearable! It is two hours long - from 6:30 'till 8:30 and it is always dark outside which, for some strange reason, always makes everything more frightening. The building itself is massive and the class has about 20 other students who are all quite a bit older than me. I have social anxiety as well, so the thought of having an attack and embarrassing myself in front of everyone is actually making it even more difficult. At my last school there were 4 in Spanish class and only 3 in Latin so it's a big adjustment.

I've had these symptoms both before and during the class:

Hot & cold temperature, sweating, shaking too much to hold the pen, dizziness, distorted vision, inability to breathe (that's the worst), feeling as if I was about to be sick, choking sensation, racing thoughts, feeling as if was going mad, the world was ending or I was going to die. I've also felt claustrophobic as though I just had to get out of the building. I can hardly describe some of the symptoms - honestly they're so terrifying.

I know it's just sitting in a room for a couple of hours, but I can't do it. I have no idea why it provokes such an extreme and irrational reaction but it does and I feel like there's nothing I can do about it. I feel so pathetic because nobody thinks of things like this and no-one else in the class has to deal with this. People go abroad for months on their own and don't feel any of these things, yet I feel as though the world is ending because I have to sit in a room for a while. What is wrong with me? What on earth can I do about it?

My mum was reading history at university, but had to drop out because of panic attacks. I really don't want to be in the same situation.

Sorry for the length of this post!

LeeBee
11-10-08, 09:55
Hi CTW, as you can see from this website, lots of people DO feel the way that you do :)

Do you think that anyone in your class knows how you feel? You probably do quite a good job of hiding it. How do you know that some of them aren't doing the same thing?

I'm a rather shy and reserved, in some situations more that others, but I'm not terribly socially anxious now. I was a lot more socially anxious when I was closer to your age, though. Lots of people are. Even people who seem confident are often hiding their anxiety behind a persona (that's how a lot of people get into the entertainment industry :)).

If you were able to talk to just one or two people in your class, you'd probably feel a lot better about going and you might even have someone to walk part of the way home with. Try having a look around your class to see if there is someone that you think you could strike up a conversation with. Ask them a question about the class, or ask to borrow something. If it doesn't go anywhere, you've lost nothing.

lou77
11-10-08, 22:23
i can totally understand where you are coming from. I am now at uni but i started off by doing nite classes a few yrs ago, you gotta think of the positives: it will be nite so the college wont be full of students as it would during the day. Your studying with older people who you will find are probably more sympathetic to your situation than maybe younger people, and also they may be going thru or have gone through things similar themselves. Talk to your tutor,they are there to help and will adapt to meet their students needs. I only recently told my uni tutors about my panic and anxiety and i feel so much better now i have,just knowing that i have the option to get up and get some air and calm down for a few minutes has helped a great deal. Everyone there will be nervous/anxious at first but you will make friends and sometimes just talking to someone about anything will distract you from the anxiety or will help you get thru it. Have you tried rescue remedy spray? i always take it to class with me and if i start feeling not good its there. Also once you get into your lessons you will enjoy it and your mind will be focused on the work and not your anxiety. Stick with it and it will get better
good luck x