PDA

View Full Version : Barium Swallow on Monday & Terrified ...

BNCfan
11-10-08, 08:54
I've been experiencing gut/gullet/swallowing problems for the past two months after having to return to a place where I suffered extreme forms of abuse. My GP is now sending me for a Barium Swallow on Monday to try to convince me that I don't have cancer or anything sinister. All the members of my mother's family, including her, died of some sort of stomach cancer. I've battled with chronic anxiety and PAs since I was a kid when my dad died very suddenly and I'm determined to prove it's never too late to beat this form of self torture we call 'Health Anxiety'. Because of abuse when I was a kid I find it virtually impossible to express my emotions and when things get bad self harm is the only thing that helps. I've been so terrifed this last week that I self harmed two days ago and now I feel so ashamed. But I hate the thought of radio-active liquid (Barium) being absorbed into my body and don't know which I'm more afraid of, the terrifying symptoms or the Barium Swallow. I'm alone with this and finding it very hard to cope.

LeeBee
11-10-08, 09:21
Hi BNCfan, my dad had a barium meal recently for some gastric problems that he was having. He said it wasn't enormous fun, but it was OK and not painful or anything. He's had no after effects and says that it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as the angiogram that he's had to have since then.

The doctors wouldn't give you anything that would hurt you more than your gastric symptoms. Has the doctor talked through the procedure with you? They should explain what's going to happen and reassure you that it can't cause you harm.

Don't feel ashamed of your self-harming. It's a coping mechanism and is a sign that you need more help. I know you've had treatment for your anxiety and depression in the past, but you need more help now. Maybe talk to your doctor about it again? Go easy on yourself, won't you BNC... Be kind to yourself. You deserve kindness.

Keep talking to us if you need to, let us know how you get on on Monday - you're going to be fine and you'll be reassured about your stomach problems after your procedure.

Andyroo
11-10-08, 09:32
im sorry that your are having a hard time i dont know to much about the test you will be taking but i just wanted to wish you luck and let you know you have my suport:hugs:

amandaj
11-10-08, 09:35
hi i had this last year its nothing to worry about and is pain free, the mixture isnt a nice taste but its ok, and its over with quickly anything else need to know about it please feel free to pm me

amanda

vti2007
11-10-08, 10:29
Hey BNCfan,

I had one of these recently, drinking the mixture is not great as it is sort of chalky tasting but none of it gets absorbed - it passes straight through you - as you will find out :blush:

All in all it is a pretty straight forward painless procedure.

Don't Worry :)

gtrgrl3369
11-10-08, 14:27
I have also had it done and it is painless. Nasty tasting...yes. There is nothing though that will hurt you. Anticipation is actually worse than the procedure itself. Take care and it will be fine.

graham58
11-10-08, 21:52
I've had one too a few years back and mine didn't even taste nasty - they'd flavoured it with mint or something so it went down pretty well. All in all the procedure's nothing to worry about.

BNCfan
12-10-08, 10:04
Thanks everyone for your support and reassurance. I even managed to go out yesterday on my own and had my first proper meal in three weeks. I'm agoraphobic and social phobic, so that was quite an achievement. I think my stomach was a bit surprised to be presented with salmon, green beans, mange tout and new potatoes, but it coped with it pretty well. My appointment tomorrow is arranged for 9:15, so hopefully by this time tomorrow it will be nearly over. It's then the next worry starts, waiting two weeks for the results! Why do I put myself through all this? I must hate myself. Even when I manage to sleep I dread waking up because I wake up in another panic episode - I don't even have time to think worrying thoughts, I wake up in that state. I'm determined to get a handle on this thing, I've allowed it to wreck most of my life and enough is enough. Thanks again folks, you're a great bunch of people.

vti2007
12-10-08, 10:08
Hey well done for going out and the meal sounds as if it was nice!!

Is it just the barium swallow you are having or is it the meal and follow through as well?

As for the results I have found sometimes my GP gets them really quickly. Also you will probably be able to see what the radiographer can see on the fluoroscope screen so ask questions!! I always ask what they have seen when I have tests done. Don't always get an answer but is is usually 50/50

Good Luck

Trixie
12-10-08, 10:52
I had a barium swallow many years ago and it was OK nothing to worry about at all. I have also had a barium meal and enema and they were fine as well. I have had severe diverticular problems for many years (a family complaint).

Good luck just remember YOU WILL BE OK:flowers:

tireequeen
26-08-10, 22:02
Hi,I had a barium meal it was not nice but ok,take deep breath before you swallow it in three gulps,its better than getting a camera down your throat.
Take care and all the best and hope the result turns out ok.