PDA

View Full Version : Why Anxiety is Worse in the Morning

monika
11-10-08, 17:44
I'm sure everyone has experienced this. You finally get a good nights sleep after a long and hard day, or even battling insomnia, you wake up and BAM, you feel anxious already, the worrying and the fear is already taking you over.

There are many reasons anxiety is worse in the morings. The First Reason, you were having a peacful sleep and then all the sudden your ripped out of your sleep and have to get things on the go (things that could start the anxiety are loud obnoxious alarm clock waking you up, having to get kids ready, being late, making breakfast...etc) You can stop this by getting a quiter alarm clock, getting up earlier to have more time to do things, breathing methods upon waking, not drinking night before etc.

Another reason anxiety is worse in the morning is because your blood sugar is low when you first wake up. You have gone all night without food.

It's important to maintain a constant blood sugar level because the brain uses sugar, also known as glucose, as its fuel. If blood sugar levels are too lowor drop too fast, then the brain starts running out of fuel. This causes the brain to trigger the "fight or flight" response.

The "fight or flight" response sends a rush of adrenaline, cortisol, and other neurotransmitters through your body to prepare you to fight or fleethe perceived threat (low fuel). This process can trigger physical reactions ("symptoms") such as trembling, rapid heartbeat, sweating, panic attacks, fatigue, insomnia, mental confusion, nervousness,dizziness, and more.

To balance your blood sugar levels and minimize symptoms, keep a snack that contains "good" complex carbohydrates and protein by your bed. Eat it when you first wake up. You will likely notice that your symptoms improve a short while after eating the snack.

You might try a combination of whole grain crackers anda handful of nuts, or a high-protein granola bar with some whole-wheat pretzels. The "good" carbohydrates will give you energy, and the protein will help to keep your blood sugar level steady over time.

Also, dead-end thoughts play a huge role in creating early morning anxiety, as well as anxiety at any other time of day. Once you learn to overcome dead-end thoughts, you stop the anxiety cycle in its tracks.

Dead-end thoughts are negative, anxious, obsessive, or racing thoughts, that do not promote your well-being. They are based on faulty thinking patterns. These thoughts of helplessness, negativity, or anxious predictions about the future, give away your personal power and create the anxiety cycle.

Lastly, i know from experience that I feel angsty in the morning because I am calm, and anxiety tends to annoy us in our calm state because the flight flee response part of are body naturally by itself will sky rockeet, while we feel calm, and then we panic at this feeling and so on...We have to learn to keep are calm and relaxed state upone waking, staying postitive and eating a wholesome breakfast so that we can face the morning panic free.

kenboon
11-10-08, 20:32
Thats a great post and very informative :yesyes:. I used to get very anxious in the morning, but now it seems to creep up on me around lunch. I didnt use to have a breakfast in the morning, but i do now everyday and it really does help alot.

All the best

Ken

LoveMusic
11-10-08, 21:17
Thanks for posting.

At the beginning of my panic disorder I felt worse in the morning, but lately i've become more relaxed, and the night has become my fixation, although that is gradually changing too.