PDA

View Full Version : I'm new!

Alton
02-06-05, 10:15
This is the first time I've used one of these websites so I thought I would give it a go.

I've had panic attacks for about 5 years now and until January I have been on Ciprimil (anti-depressant). A couple of months ago I had a relapse and have been trying to recover ever since. This is a new experience for me as I am doing it without any medication so the emotions I am feeling are new as they were masked before. The biggest problem I have is the feeling of "losing control" and going mad. I always think that something is going to tip me over the edge and I will be in a state of panic forever. Does anyone else feel like this? I also have a problem with safety behaviours. I don't think I can function without certain people around me and always take a book, stereo and water with me everywhere I go. A big problem is a sense of feeling "trapped" when I am away from home. I constantly worry about how I am going to get home from places as travelling has always been a problem. Any thoughts/ideas/comments would be appreciated.

seh1980
02-06-05, 11:33
Welcome aboard!! I'm sure you will receive lots of support here. :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

pips
02-06-05, 12:07
Hi Alton,

A warm welcome to the site. Well done for coming of the meds.

Yes that is one of the scariest feelings the fear of loosing contol and being in a state of panic. I feel the same at times but i give myself a good talking to & think POSITIVELY. Also listen to a relaxation CD as its very difficult to be anxious if your body is totally relaxed.

There is nothing wrong with safety behaviours you are just getting prepared and organised. Although you will be able to fuction without others around it just takes time and small steps.

I suffer with Claustrophobia so I understand that feeling of being trapped its horrid!

One Quote I find useful to say over when I'm away is: "HOME HAS NO MAGICAL POWERS TO KEEP YOU SAFE - YOUR SAFE PLACE LIES WITHIN YOURSELF"

Take Care,

Love PIP'S XX

Karen
02-06-05, 12:47
Hi Alton

Welcome to the forum.

Hope we can be of some help to you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

tracyp584
02-06-05, 13:02
Hey Alton,

Welcome to the site!

tracy x x

clickaway
02-06-05, 13:17
Hi Alton and welcome to the site.

That's very sensible of you to take a CD, Book and water with you when you go out. The first two will relax your mind and distract you away from those wandering negative thoughts, whilst the water will prevent dryness which you are susceptible to with anxiety.

I don't suffer from the 'getting home' thing as you do, but an idea might be to practice small journeys every day and gradually build up the distances to harden your resistance.

Take Care

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

Meg
02-06-05, 14:06
Hi Alton

The worry over going mad is a common one and it boils down to being the only explanation we can come up with for why we feel so scared and fuzzy and have these scary thoughts..

It doesn't happen. Neuroses ( anxiety / panic) and psychosis have different disease pathways and one does not lead to the other.

No problems with the props although pure CBT therapists wouldn't like it - usually a mobile phone is added in too..

People is more of an issue for medium and long term.. and you may want to work on regaining your independence a bit more.

driving (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=633)

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

florence
02-06-05, 18:42
Hi Alton

Welcome to the site.
I can relate to a lot of what you said, and I am sure many of the members will too.
I hope you'll find some answers here, and I am sure you'll get great support and advices.
Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

nomorepanic
02-06-05, 18:54
Hi Alton

Just to wish you a welcome aboard the forum and hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

alexis
02-06-05, 22:49
Hi Alton, welcome I know you will get lots of support and wonderful help here.
I always find my way out of a place before i put myself in it.
I often sit by the door in places and in yoga lay by the door,
If im in shops I am aware of where the emergency exit is.
I really felt I was loosing control for a long time and this was my safety net.
In time I know I will move away etc but there is no rush, I am doing what I couldnt even do a while ago, so keep positive keep trying, you will get there.
Well done for managing without medication, take care love Alexis

sal
02-06-05, 23:40
Hi Alton

Welcome to the site, like you my biggest fear is of losing control and i have struggled with it but slowly i realised that i wont and you wont hun. On bad days it still comes to my mind but i judge them by the days when i felt worst and got through them and you will to.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

pinkscrumpy
03-06-05, 10:50
:D Hi Alton

Welcome aboard. I hope you find the support needed
[8D]

MANDIE XX

zena
03-06-05, 13:26
Hi Alton.

I agree with the other replies you have had.
I love the quote that Pip gave...and very true.
Just take one step at a time and stay positive.

with good wishes

Zena

Piglet
04-06-05, 12:04
Hi Alton and welcome to the site.

I can relate to a lot of what you said too, I always thought and still do sometimes that I'm going to lose control and draw attention to myself, and people that know me in the area will all point and say ahh, look she's really lost it now. When in actual fact on the rare occasions I've been close to panic all I've done is cry and struggle with my breathing.

I spend far too much time worrying I may have a panic attack than I've ever done actually having one which makes it all so silly doesnt it.

I agree with pips quote that we need to find our safe place within us, as we can take that wherever we go. Also dont worry about the use of props - lots of so called unanxious people have those, think of smokers etc etc.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

sal
06-06-05, 23:48
Hi Alton

How are you getting on. Would be great to hear from you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Alton
07-06-05, 12:24
Well I'm now on my second full week back at work. For the past two weeks there have been days when my "safe" people have not been at work and although I was conscious of it, I stayed at work and got through it so its all good.
My next big thing is getting a train. I need to go and visit my parents in a couple of weeks and I'm dreading it. I need to get from Bristol to Portsmouth - which is a pretty easy journey as its a straight train service with no changes and the trains are always actually pretty clean and chilled out. But I just can't stand the thought of being on it on my own for 2 hours. I am having hypnotherapy at the moment which is helping a lot and we are working on my train thing at the moment so maybe that will help. The thing I always worry about is if I am going too slow or too quickly. I don't want to try and do too much too soon but then I think that if I can't face something - am I just letting the fear take over? How do you know when you are ready for things?

leo05
07-06-05, 12:34
welcome you will be able to speak to people who are friendly and very understanding in here you can also pm me or email me if you need to talk about anything take care (leo05)

leanne

Meg
07-06-05, 12:36
Hi Alton,

You're doing great . Well Done..

Make yourself your safe place and person - just like you have managed to do at work and you can go anywhere..

You can walk up and down the train plus there is usualy someone who is more than willing to tell you their life story if you give them half a chance.

Take the usual comfort pack .. rescue remedy, lavender oil, cards, book , game , Cd, paper , magazines, non sugar snack etctec

You could take a train in the next two weeks just to show you can do it -just for a couple of stops.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
07-06-05, 19:18
Hi Alton

Can you try a shorter journey beforehand to see how it goes.

Like Meg says pack the survival bag and keep yourself occupied and it will really help pass the time.

Good luck!

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

sal
07-06-05, 23:52
Well done so far you are back at work and have coped well with it.

I am sure you will be fine visiting your parents but do it when you are ready. Look at what you have achieved and be proud of yourself. When is the right time we all ask that but sometimes we just make ourselves do it even if we dont feel we can and are surprised and proud of how we coped.

Love Sal xx

Karen
07-06-05, 23:56
Hi Alton

Well done for coping with being back at work and staying even though it felt uncomfortable.

Hope the journey to your parents goes well. I'm sure you will do just fine and people have given you some excellent suggestions to help you manage this.

Enjoy your visit to your parents.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

BrandyK
08-06-05, 03:21
Hi, I guess we have the same problems.. I also feel trapped sometimes. I feel like sometimes I am going to start screaming at the top of my lungs for no reason. I feel trapped at work thinking I can't just flee. But I actually did once. I dont want other people to see me this way. I hate it.

maybe we should talk more .. and welcome.

beano
07-11-08, 18:01
hi i'm new and never used forums before so this is the first time. I guess like everyone else on this site i suffer with anxierty it makes me feel like I'm loosing my mind, I'm just glad to find somewhere that i can talk about my worries.

pooh
07-11-08, 18:29
Hi beano you can start your own introduction thread just look to the top left hand corner when you click into the main section bit for introductions

But Hi and welcome along anyway lol

Pooh x

Worrier
07-11-08, 18:50
Just wanted to say a big welcome and you will find lots of help here.

Natalie

weeble40
08-11-08, 00:26
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

DJ Trace
08-11-08, 01:20
Hi Alton,

I Just Wanted to offer you a huge warm welcome.

Stay Safe And Well.
Love Trace Xx

heather111
01-03-09, 19:01
Hello Every1 i am new today.

Jut wanted to say hi to every1: HI!

I am suffering from depresion and anxiety, and have just been percribed 20mg p/day Fluoxetine.

I am living in blackpool area, UK.

Lynnann
02-03-09, 19:23
Hi Heather,

:welcome: to NMP you will find this site a great source of advice and support and you will make some good friends here to help you along your journey to recovery.

Lynnann:flowers:

Gemma T
02-03-09, 20:37
Welcome. You will find plenty of support on here. Love Gemma

kittykat
02-03-09, 20:47
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, you'll get good advice here which really does help , take care xx

snicker_n_snark
29-05-09, 06:23
I'm glad you joined love, I'm sure you'll get a lot of support from everyone here.
I feel almost exactly the same way with my panic attacks, that horrifying fear of getting "stuck" in the panic. That is the absolute worst.
Thanks for sharing, and you're not alone.

pixy
20-11-09, 18:37
hi everyone glad to know there are people out there who feel the same as myself i have suffered from depression and anxiety for the past 4 years and cant see the light at the end of the tunnel i feel im loseing my fight as i have been fighting for my life for the past four years and feel like giveing up every day is a strugel for me i just want peace and cant seem to find it does anyone out there feel like me. pixy