PDA

View Full Version : Bad fear of Flying

Sal x
02-06-05, 18:01
Hi everyone,

I am going on holiday to Zante in September and I am absolutley terrified of flying.

I went away last year and I was an absolute emotional wreck. I was shaking, sweating, crying............and all the rest.

I said I wouldn't do it again but my friend has talked me into it. I have a feeling that I may end up cancelling it evenn if I lose out on my money.
My husband really wants to go so I am doing this for him as I feel my anxiety problems have affected him enough over the last year (enen though he says hes by me all the way)

Has anyone got any advise on any kind of therepy / treatment for this or if there is some kind of sleeping tablet that will knock me out for a couple of hours.
I've tried all the usual stuff, like reading, listening to music etc but when I am in such a state of panic, relaxing just doesn't work.

Please, Please help.

Sal x

tracyp584
02-06-05, 18:04
Hey Sal,

A close friend of mine was exactly the same as you, and she went to a hypnotherapist and it really worked for her. She still hates flying but can tolerate it enough to fly now. That and a couple of bottles of rescue remedy!

tracy x x

Meg
02-06-05, 18:04
Flying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3092)
flying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1440)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

carlin
02-06-05, 18:42
Hi Sal,
You have brought back memories from a year ago. I could, and probably did, write exactly the same post. I was terrified, the previous year had the most awful panic on plane home, but like you decided to go for hubby and kids sake, i had 2 treatments with the hypnotherapist, took everyones advice on this site, and i did it, had a few little niggles, but no tablets, just went and i was fine, as Meg has suggested please read anything you can about this, you can do it, do not cancel it, i know what you mean about relaxing when you are in a state, but i promise if i survived, anyone can, go for it mate, you will have hubby with you, and lots of people are scared of flying, even when they don't suffer with anxiety, people just do their own thing on the plane, and you will not even be noticed. keep in touch.

seh1980
02-06-05, 19:14
I had to fly about a month ago and I just sat there crying and shaking. I felt so silly when I got off the plane for having been like that. Take rescue remedy, lavender, books, music and anything else that would make you feel comfortable. Unfortunately the only way to get used to flying is by flying!!

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

nomorepanic
02-06-05, 19:29
I did hypnotherapy to get me back on a plane - it worked!

I still hate it so don't go but at least I got back on it so it was successful.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

florence
02-06-05, 19:44
Hi

I had flying fear before I actually went on a plane for the first time last year. Fortunately my phobia has gone and I enjoyed it....I am actually looking forward to my next trip.

Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

sal
02-06-05, 23:58
Hi Sal

It is hard work when you have such a fear. I didnt mind flying until the panic attacks and anxiety started and now the fear of being stuck on a plane sends me well into the anxiety mode, but i still do it by pushing myself as i dont want it to beat me.

You will get through it hun i did and still hate it but force myself and in the end i find although hard it is never as bad as i have worked it up to be.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Jim
24-06-05, 12:44
Remember that it isn't really flying that you fear, but the thoughts and sensations triggered by being on the aeroplane. Anxiety is just your bodies way of mobilising you ready for action. This arousel causes the adrenal glands to release adrenaline and noradrenaline. They KEY thing to remember is that this does not harm you in any way. So don't fear the fear. Once you realise that they cannot cause you any harm, then it no longer matters if you feel anxious or not. Just tell yourself that that's what adrenaline feels like and its harmless.

Jim