PDA

View Full Version : A strange one, anyone else experienced similar??

mjh74
02-06-05, 19:00
Hi all,

I have had to visit the hospital today to have a checkup of my eye which I had an operation on. I was really stressed about going and took 4mg of valium 2 hours before. I got through it and even managed a drink after in the cafe! Got home and turned the TV on, neighbours was on (euk) which I left on in the background whilst I did stuff. My anxiety is throat related so any time I feel anxious or in a stressful situation it hits my throat and I deal with it best I can. I caught a quick glimpse of neighbours and saw someone place a golf ball on a T and hit it. Ever since, I have this strange 'suggestion' of a golf ball sitting on the back of my tongue blocking my throat. It's really strange! Am I finally going goo gah?! :D

All I can feel is this sensation at the back of my throat and the suggestion of a golf ball being down there. Like seeing that triggered off my throat 'thing'. It's horrible!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar??

Mark

Meg
02-06-05, 19:12
The power of suggestion is very strong..

We have had members describe the feeling the lump as golfballs before.

Guess it feels about that size and certainly as hard sometimes.

You could in meditation visualize 'your' golf ball being unravelled or becoming softer and smaller until it wasn't an issue anymore or disappeared .

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

mjh74
02-06-05, 19:17
It's a strange one Meg, something I didn't expect! It was almost as if that golf ball lept down my throat and my mind is relaying a sensation and feeling to me as if it's there. Is this some worrying breakdown I'm heading for or anxiety once again doing it's 'bit'?

Mark

Meg
02-06-05, 19:22
**Is this some worrying breakdown I'm heading for or anxiety once again doing it's 'bit'?**

Its just an alternative description for what you've already felt ..
Come up with a few more similar throat obstacles and see if with abit of thought you can't imagine those too..

Doesn't worry me in the slightest Mark - I've heard exactly that many times before.

We like visual stimulii , it makes things seem more real and as the lump feels real you sort of want to give it an image .

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
02-06-05, 19:24
Makes you realise how powerful our minds are, huh? :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

mjh74
02-06-05, 19:29
Thanks Meg that really does make sense! And you're right, I do ALWAYS try to visualise things whether they be good or bad images. It's something I hadn't thought about and it caught me out of the blue!

Thanks once again Meg,

Mark

nomorepanic
02-06-05, 19:34
Mark

The mind is so powerful and can do some odd tricks on us.

Glad Meg has helped and it makes sense to you.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

mjh74
02-06-05, 19:41
Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your post. It is a strange one isn't it. It must have been my subconcious 'toying'. I just found it really unusual and a new experience to boot!

Mark

Meg
02-06-05, 19:48
Good. Great that you're visual

So now spend some time along with abdominal breathing, practising visualizing it getting smaller and smaller and softer and softer until it vanishes altogether..

Meg

vernon
02-06-05, 20:22
Hi. I suppose you could also imagine the galf ball to be made of ice and the heat of your throat melting it? I try things like this at times. TC.

Meg
02-06-05, 20:26
OOooh Vern , Thats a great one..

Thanks

mjh74
02-06-05, 21:20
Yes thanks for that vernon, that's a fantastic one. I guess I could actually put some icec cream in my mouth and let it melt away so I actually feel it physically going and swallow it!

Mark

nomorepanic
02-06-05, 21:55
Mark

I have issues sometimes with eating some foods still - like chewy toffees and hard bolied sweets etc.

I was eating a chewy sweet the other day and it stuck my teeth together and I got an instant panic thought so I know how weird it is to feel it.

I was also eating a mint once and nearly swallowed it whole and thought about it choking me.

I try to remember it is just thoughts that are scaring me and not real actions that will.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

alexis
02-06-05, 22:56
Hi Mark, i have problems with my throat but never experienced anything like that,
hope you can sort it, that was a good idea of verns. Love Alexis, xx