View Full Version : gaining weight

janeybaby25
12-10-08, 21:32
Hi, I was just wondering has anyone else suffered from weight gain through anxiety? I was a size 8-10 & weighed 8 stone in Jan 2007 when my problems started now I am 10 & a bit stone & a size 12 to 14. I know it's due to lack of doing stuff cos I suffer from HA & was scared of doing exericise because of my heart and also when I started to feel 'funny' I'd have something to eat in case it was hunger making me feel like that & thought by having something to eat would make me feel better, but I wondered if its happend to anyone else? I have been trying my hardest to get out there & do more stuff & even though I am tons better than I was & I do, do stuff now, the weight doesn't seam to be shifting. I don't have a terrible diet, I eat home cooked healthy meals & I do get out loads more & even though my life is more or less back to normal, it's still on. I joined the gym about 2 mths ago but only been once as when I got back my heart started racing after an hr of going to gym & it scared me so much I haven't been back! But I go to Uni full time & I walk a lot with my Avon. I know if I lost weight I would feel better about myself, I sometimes can't understand why my boyfriend finds me attractive but I don't go on about it or anything, it's just kind of back of my mind sometimes. Anyway, I was just wondering if its happened to anyone else thats all. xxx

thinker_bell
12-10-08, 21:42
JANEYBABY, I NO THIS FEELIN 2 WELL...
I HAVE GAINED ALOT OF WEIGHT TOO, I WAS THIN N HAPPY AND WITH ANXIETY IT HAS ALWAYS FLUCTUATED (MY WEIGHT) BUT THE PAST YR IVE BEEN WORSE THAN I HAVE IN A WHILE N I HAVE PUT WEIGHT ON AND ITS A VICIOUS CIRCLE I FEEL SCARED TO EXCERSISE INCASE I HAVE A HEART ATTACK N EAT MORE TO STOP THE STRANGE TUMMY ACHES AND THEN AGAIN I AM UNHAPPY ABOUT PUTTIN WEIGHT ON AND MAKES MY SELF ESTEEM N ANXIETY WORSE...
ITS RIDICULOUS!!
HOWEVER, I HAVE BOUGHT AN EXERCISE BIKE TODAY AND INTEND TO THINK POSITIVE AND MAKE A CHANGE, PREHAPS WE COULD SUPPORT EACHOTHER.. ITS TIME FOR ME TO MAKE A CHANGE
XX

titchjd
12-10-08, 22:25
Oh yeah hun i know that feeling ..I was a size 12 last year then upped meds got agoraphobic so didnt do anything and now im size 16 wahhhhhhh last nov i was asked 2 be Bridesmaid and I was like right I will loose w8 4 wedding well wedding next month and I havent lost any so Im very very depressed .......but hey Im still me wether I have 1 belly or 3 or 1 chin or 6 haha .....but I do get so dpressed when I look in the miror .

we should start an NMP diet class lol x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

chris-e
12-10-08, 22:40
Yep, i have .I've gained 2stone in 18months which isn't good as i was already a good stone overweight alnyway.I know this is one of the things that is making me feel bad but just cant seem to get it off.Am a compulsive eater anyway but have managed to balance things over the years,but lately its all gone to pot .

janeybaby25
12-10-08, 23:01
Hi all, thanks for replying, its good to know I am not the only one. I think a NMP diet class is a great idea lol. Tinkerbell (& anyone else) is welcome to PM me if you want to support each other whilst trying to fight the flab! lol xxxx

sheena
12-10-08, 23:08
I lost weight when I first started to get panick attacks which lead to agoraphobia. I was then put on a mixture of drugs and over the year I have put on a stone in weight.

I did not do any exercise for 3 years and still did not put any weight on. I think with me that once I started on a road to recovery I started feeling better so started eating more.

I can't give you much advice but I now walk my dog twice a day. Can you not take a leisurely stroll around the block. I see a few people doing that on my walks with the dog. It dosen't get your heart racing so you feel comfortable. Yoga is also a good exercise and is not heart racing.

Sheena

janeybaby25
12-10-08, 23:15
yes I walk about every day, I go to Uni & am on my feet there, I walk a lot when I do my Avon too so its not like I am getting no exercise at all. I have never been on any meds for my anxiety either, it's simply been cured by a mixture of CBT & weirdly enough going on holiday! I was getting more worried about gaining weight when none of my size 8's fitted me anymore but now I have been buying clothes that fit me, I find that it bothers me less as I am comfortable in my clothes (until I take my clothes off & I see what's underneath!) Maybe I should try squeezing back into my size 8 skinnies! lol. Thye probably wouldn't even make it over my knees now!!

janeybaby25
12-10-08, 23:16
oh & I am scared of dogs so unfortunatly that won't be happening for me! lol good idea though, wish I didn't so it was a good excuse to go for a random walk!

sheena
12-10-08, 23:26
Woops, sorry I did read your post but forgot about your walking.

I was a size 10 -12 before i lost the weight then a size 8 was hanging off me.
I am now back to the 10-12. I know what you mean I have to feel really comfortable in my clothes - a good fit but not too tight otherwise I get a muffin top.

I have two dogs but my staff has a phobia of cars and lol gets panick attacks. We take him to the woods but then have trouble getting him back to the car because of the traffic. He is epileptic as well so we have to be careful not to get him too stressed. I actually got him when I was agoraphobic so he did not really get walked and I often wonder if that caused him phobia.

What are you studying at Uni. I've got a (BA) Hons in Applied Social Studies. I did as a mature student then got my degree in Social Work. Are you enjoying student life. I used to envy the young ones who had left home for the first time and experiencing life without the parents.

Sheena

janeybaby25
13-10-08, 08:13
I am a mature student too Sheena. Well, I am 29, but I live with my partner of 6yrs. I do enjoy uni very much but I don't have a typical 'student' life' I am bit too old for that, did all that when I was 18! lol I study Art, I love what I do very much. It's quite stressful but my tutors are aware of my anxiety & illness' (I suffer from heart condition) so I am very lucky they understand but so far this yr (in my final) I have been ok & not needed any time off.

I am sorry to hear your dog is scared of cars, poor little mite. aw. xxxx He would love it at my house, I have a massive garden & a gate leading to some woods at back, he wouldn't ever have to encounter a car then!!!

sheena
13-10-08, 12:56
I'm a bit older than you. I hated having to do my assignments but I loved the research for them. I loved gaining all this new knowledge. Like they say knowledge is power. I was a perfectionist and use to totally absorb myself in getting good grades. This was to be one of my downfalls that was the start of my breakdown. It all seemed to take over my life and I started to have no time to go out with friends. A few of them fell by the wayside as being a student at Uni does change you to a certain extent.

My daughter has done her first year at Uni studying Criminolgy and it has been great reading all her books. I've learnt a lot about gangs. Sadly she is not going back this year. She has started to train to be a special constable (they have the same powers at a policeman - not like community officers). She is also working 3 days aweek.

She now say that she actually wants to become a proper police officer. We had a good talk and the outcome was that it was the best thing to do to drop her uni course. I told her that she was not a failure and had got good grades in her first year whilst learning information that would help her as a police officer. She was really stressed out with it all and now feels that life is taking the route that she wants to end up in.

My son is also a police officer and service with the metropolitan police force in London so you can say we are keeping it in the family:yesyes:

Sheena

Nicomi
13-10-08, 17:21
HI

I've been really stressing about my weight. 5 years ago I lostt 4 stone after I had my second baby. I kept the weight off until the anxiety started. When I went onto Citalopram I put on 2 stone. I came off them in April and have barely lost any and have just gone onto new meds but the doctor thinks they shouldn't affect my weight. The thing is I'm a runner, I run 20 miles a week. I find it really helps me mentally and gets rid of lots of the adrenaline. I can't understand why the weight came on - then I remember all the cakes and biscuits I eat to help settle my queasy tummy, lol. I am determined that I can't put on any more weight - my knees couldn't take it with the running!

I think as long as you eat healthily and diet you can't do any more because the anxiety appears to affect your metabolism.:mad:

janeybaby25
13-10-08, 17:26
yeah I know, its rubbish, I know I gained it cos of lack of doing stuff but now I can do it all again, it ain't shifting! Oh well, I might just have to accept it for what it is. lol

Sheena, my sister is in force too. Best of luck in whatever your daughter ends up doing. xxx

smiler22
13-10-08, 17:49
hi as you can see im new on her. i have always been big. but have at times lost weight in between puting it back on again. i lost my nan when i was 16 and my mum was very ill so that is when i put on the main weight. i then lost 3 half stone when i was 19. howevwer now im not able to work as i have possibily got fibromyalgia. and it is frustrating me as i have put more weight ion. i can exercise but for about only ten minutrs at a time. i would love to lose wieght. but im now a size 22-24 top and 24-26 bottom. aaaaaargggghh i hate it. ive had my arm in plaster for 6weeks so i will go back swimming when that comes off. so yes i do know how you feel. mine has also been through anxiety and depression as i comfort eat.

janeybaby25
13-10-08, 18:06
aw smiler I am sorry to hear about your troubles. You are welcome to PM me if you wish to talk. welcome to NMP. XXXX

ricric
13-10-08, 18:54
I would get your Thyroid checked 'just to be on the safe side':)

janeybaby25
13-10-08, 19:07
already done that Ricric, its actually on the overactive side which means you are meant to loose weight not gain it!