PDA

View Full Version : Rollercoaster rides versus walking around Tescos...

Cathy V
13-10-08, 00:19
Unfortunately for me living in Germany, i dont get to see the same programmes as people in uk, but this evening i was watching a programme about phobias and anxiety, and one of the therapists was saying that the adrenaline rush people get when they are on a rollercoaster ride is exactly the same as what people with phobias experience, be it about spiders or health its all the same, its only our interpretation of it thats different.

They tested peoples physical reactions on a rollercoaster and found their hyperventilation, irregualr heartbeats, stomach and bowel discomfort were all the same as a person who is in the middle of a panic attack. The difference with the people on the ride was that they thought of it as a positive feeling, an enjoyable feeling.

So, the next time you feel a panic coming on, just close your eyes and enjoy the ride :D xxxx

kendo59
13-10-08, 01:30
The louder you scream, the faster it goes. Yeee-Haw!!!! :biggrin:

Cathy V
13-10-08, 02:20
Thats the Waltzers Kendo, not the rollercoaster! :D

kendo59
13-10-08, 02:29
hehe. I have very fond memories of one year in my youth spent working on the fairground. :biggrin:

thinker_bell
13-10-08, 10:27
so strange u shud say that because i have agorophobia not as bad a s it used to be but i went to alton towers last wk and had no panic what so ever going on the fastest biggest scariest rides there but wen i htought that i couldnt get home if i needed to i couldnt breathe n had hurrendous panic attacks, how can i be more scared of being away from home than being on a ride that grown men r sscared of ??
its things like this which helps me look at my problems and think "u bloody mental idiot" lol..

Oceanblue
13-10-08, 10:49
Oh yeh totally.

I'm abit of an Adrenaline Junkie, strange I guess for someone who suffers with Anxiety, only the reason I do this is to stop myself from feeling fear of perfectly normal situations. I try and get things in balance /perspective/ right way of thinking, if you can understand what I mean. It sometimes works,.. not all the time though.

When I'm in panic mode, I tend to find these things impossible, other than the rollercoasters etc,.. They usually stop my panic, and shaking fear inside altogether.

Strange,.. but true :). You know what,.. I wish I could go on one now, sick of this shaking :weep:.

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
15-10-08, 15:33
Thats interesting Cathy,
I can't for one understand for the life of me why someone would enjoy themselves being swurled around by a machine! LOL

The only reason I don't go on fairgrounds rides is the fear of something going wrong! Irrational thinking? yep!

Same as fear of flying, fear of crashing, is that anxiety? or just a phobia of dying?

Wayne

milly jones
15-10-08, 15:42
i hate both tescos and fairground rides

at least with tescos u can get out when it all gets too much lol

i hate those bars that come down to hold u in a ride, the hairs on my neck are standing up just thinking of it

ive been wracking my brain trying to think of something exciting in my life that produces a similar feeling, and all the scenarios are negatively based

such is life

milly xxx

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
15-10-08, 16:00
Thats right Mills, in Tesco you can get out if you want to, on a roller coaster your stuck on there 'till it finishes!

And I am sure I am not alone here, but hands up who picks a checkout in a supermarket nearest to an exit? :)

Wayne

Cathy V
15-10-08, 16:01
:D :D :D to you guys. No way would i go on a rollercoaster these days, i agree that its the trapped feeling on these rides...and on planes etc for me too now, but i do remember a time when i really did find the adrenaline rush on them exillarating. What changed? :shrug:

marie1974
15-10-08, 16:21
hiya very interesting cathy, tescos is fine for me but rollercoasters is a no no lol.

i used to go on all the fastest most dangerous looking rides when younger but now im too scared incase something goes wrong.

i used to luv the waltzer spinning around with my head being nearly ripped off, those were the days haha

milly jones
15-10-08, 16:31
i love the scan urself tills, no human contact, even better

lol what a sociable soul i am

marie1974
15-10-08, 16:34
:roflmao: aww milly u did make me giggle, i hate those things lol. hugs xx

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
15-10-08, 16:36
Funny, the ride I used to enjoy the most was the Ghost train, ironic as they are soposed to be scary but they used to crack me up, so funny! LOL

Sorry, I am going off topic here a little? :blush:

Wayne

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
15-10-08, 16:37
i love the scan urself tills, no human contact, even better

lol what a sociable soul i am

We tried them in Asda and the bloody things wouldn't work and just created more attention to ourselves! LOL

Wayne

pooh
15-10-08, 16:48
no trains planes but getting better on the motorways lol wouldnt go on a rollercoaster for the simple reason i genuinely dont like fairgrounds nothing appels but i would go abseiling or hand gliding go figure????????

Cathy V
15-10-08, 17:41
yes pooh thatll take me a while to figure :D xxx

lorac
15-10-08, 18:16
Hi

There was a time when you couldn't keep me off those rides or out of Tesco but now I hate both.

The rides I can account for coz I saw a man die in a horrible accident at the fun fair. As for Tesco I have never had a bad time in there but I still hate it.

Carol

marie1974
15-10-08, 18:18
oh how awful carol, that is my fear with fast rides and to actually see someone die on one of those would be horrendous, that must have been awful for u to witness that. hugs xxx

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
16-10-08, 09:19
Yeah those fair's, kids love them, but when they are local to us we try not to tell the kids it's there, absolute rip off.

Also, last time I walked around one and was looking at all the set up, I was thinking to myself, how many and how often are saftey checks carried out?

If something is to go wrong, it can wrong very badly, scary stuff.

Wayne

titchjd
16-10-08, 09:24
Argggghhhhhhhhh Im having attack just reading title :blush:

I hate both ....the thought of going over a bump sends me in 2 panic lol when i get that feeling in stomach when It goes up and down ....:D

well off 2 deep breathe ...spk soon haha

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
16-10-08, 15:19
Funny, I always remember the following quote I heard back in the 80's, no idea why it has stuck in my head, and clearly doesnt apply to me at the moment.

"I find Life exciting enough to not need machines to swurl me around"

hence my earlier post.

Crazy, can't remember something I did 5 mins ago, but remember a useless quote from when I was 14!

Dahlia
19-10-08, 13:38
I don't go on fairground rides - I have enough bl*ody adrenaline shooting through me on a day-to-day basis, without doing something on purpose to set it off!!

Interesting bit of info though - I have wondered before whether that's why I've always avoided fairground rides - because they feel like a panic attack.