PDA

View Full Version : Fear of travelling

Alton
03-06-05, 12:13
I suffer from panic attacks which stemed from driving on the motorway and eventually ended in me being petrified of pretty much any form of travel. My worst are trains and being in a car on the motorway (still!).

I always get the feeling of being "trapped" as you can't get off a train inbetween stations and even if I did get off, I would be in the middle of nowhere, far from home. Its the same with motorways. If I don't like it, I have to wait till the next exit to get off. You can't turn round or anything. The thought of being in a traffic jam on the maotorway is my worst nightmare.

Does anyone have the same fears?

seh1980
03-06-05, 13:14
hi Alton,

I also dislike travelling. My worst fear is motorway driving. I have to take the train quite a few times a week due to my research. The only way to get over it is by doing it unfortunately. It would be good to practice by getting on a train and getting off at the next stop and working up from there. Taking things with you to keep you busy really helps. I always take a book, some work, rescue remedy and snacks.

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Meg
03-06-05, 14:29
Alton ,

I did have these same fears

I spent several months being physically sick and having panics up and down the motorways of this land, getting off as soon as the gantry signs mentioned any hold ups, being completely obsessive at looking at traffic reports at 5 am and again before I set off home, not driving in terrible weather conditions etc - it culminated in being stuck for 1.5 hours and actually doing ok - not brilliant but ok .. so I thought I ought to go and build on this and do a bit of jam surfing.

So found a ( safe - not far ftrom home and usually only a junction that I knew I could walk home from if I really needed to ) traffic jam hot spot and went and purposefully sat in it day after day until I knew I was fine..

One thing is for sure , its not going to get any better by sitting at home thinking about it and all the possibilities, it will just teach your innards to fear it more.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

florence
03-06-05, 15:02
Hi Alton

I have the exact same fears...being in a car on the motorway is one of my biggest struggles. I think, for me, its a bit of agoraphobia and claustrophobia with a hint of fear of death , yummy !! [xx(]

You're not alone with this for sure and you have our support.
Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

kate
03-06-05, 16:07
Alton,

I think it doesn't matter whether it's a motorway, a train or a crowded shop, it is the fear of not being able to escape or run away that is the problem.

Kate

Meg
03-06-05, 16:16
Kate,

Wow .. a lightbulb moment .

It makes complete and utter sense and is exactly what I've been trying to spread the word about for months that the fears are our own thoughts and therefore responses - not the place or situation.

Sorry if I've been explaining it so inadequately.

Love

Meg

nomorepanic
03-06-05, 18:54
Alton

Have you read my story on the web site - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/mystory.htm

I have these issues too with driving and traffic jams are the worse for me when there is no hard shoulder as well.

Take a look at the coping page on the site as there are some tips to use whilst driving - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/coping.htm

I am still struggling with driving at times but I HAVE to stick at cos I have to drive nearly 30 miles and back to work each day and I don't want to be stuck in the home cos I can't face the driving.

It takes practice to gain confidence so go out for a few short drives and keep doing it over and over again.

When I develped a fear of the A1 (which I have to drive down twice a day) I got in the car and drove up and down it over and over. In time you gain confidence and then move on to bigger challenges.

Go at night when it is quieter.

It takes practice but you must keep trying it to get used to it.

As for trains - I avoid them for the same reasons as you so no advice there I am afraid.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

zena
04-06-05, 12:34
Hi Alton,

The tube is my bug bear. Used to work in the middle of London. Had been ok when I 1st started at the age of 16. no worries.
The phobia started to come aboard after 18 months where I had to get off halfway and then catch one off the old buses ( where you could easily jump off)...this then went to catching the bus from start off journey....early starts and late coming home. Then staying in doors for 18 months.

Driving.....NIGHTMARE.....

Now... driving ok...still problems on motorways.Can't use them on my own. Local driving okish. Have prob with 1 road but will master it real soon.

The point I'm trying to get across is with work and determination you will overcome....take one day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you go back a step.

This is such a good site...loads of good advise from alot of people.

Like Nicola says it takes practice.....it's upto you to keep the practice up!

with good wishes

Zena

Alton
06-06-05, 09:00
Thanks for all your support and advice. The thing that I am finding hardest to deal with at the moment is doing things for a second time. I got a train to Bath a couple of weeks ago. Its only one stop from Bristol (where I live) and takes about 10 mins. I hated every second of it but I did it and managed to get back as well. But beofre I did it I kept telling myself that I didn't know if I was going to panic or not so I looked at it as an experiement and it really helped. But now I know that I did panic I have got it into my head that I will the next time I get on a train and this is really hard to overcome. The first time I don't really know what is going to happen but the second time I do so I find it harder to get the courage to do it. I have more of a fear of the actual panic then I do of anything else. How do you get over this fear? I am having trouble finding my courage at the moment to do things.

bluebottle
06-06-05, 10:00
Just do it, I know that is simplistic in the extreme but that is the answer. Our thoughts will imprison us if we give in to them.

Do it over and over and over again. Good luck.

--
Blue
"Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

Piglet
06-06-05, 11:30
Hi Alton

I'm in exactly the same boat - I'm scared of having a panic attack whenever I'm out and about, even though I still make myself go out (accompanied mostly) I can't shake the feeling off even when repeating things I've done.

I need to work on telling myself 'so what if I do, its not the end of the world' on the days that I do that I get more done. Its just hard isn't it to keep having to do it.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

bluebottle
06-06-05, 14:32
Listen to Pooh. :D

--
Blue
"Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

Insomniac
12-06-05, 22:20
Thats Me!!:D

Last summer it took me ages to get in the car for holiday in Cornwall. I worried in case we were on motorway and couldn't get out. When we get stuck in traffic my stomach churns and I feel sick. I can drive 20-30 mins away from home no problem. Logically I could go further bit by bit...but what has logic to do with anxiety? :)

Being in a coach, train bus whatever is amazingly scary.

This year we're going again [:O], but at least I have my remedies. (I had IBS and depression before but not anxiety so was complete shock. I can plan ahead this year. )

Daryl will drive, I'll take my rescue remedy and read the paper while I pretend I'm not going far. Small steps can take you a long way.

What also help is: Remember acknowledge what you DO achieve!!

InsomniacL. X

BrandyK
12-06-05, 23:33
Yeah I am scared to go places too always think that there is something that is going to happen to me..

I guess that you shouldnt avoid it though because then it will become a phobia!

brandy

evm46
01-12-06, 16:44
Hi Alton:
I searched for this forum 'cos I wanted to meet people like me.
I found that people I might have to interact in a daily basis, don't normally understand.
I remember asking a ticket seller in Porthmouth about how long it takes for the Porthmouth-London train to stop between stations.(I can only manage my panic for a very few minutes, like in the underground).
When i left I heard the man saying something rude to me, like if i was just winding him up.I come back and I explained that I have a 'disability' but he didn't have the decency to apology or nothing and denied having said anything.

I like trains which go slow and stop frequently but today's world is speed orientated.

About the motorway I have the same problem.I can't even drive because of this.When i was taking lessons,I started being scared of the motorwasy and asked the tutor not to take me to drive in the motorway,then I couldn't even relax in any road and finally i was so anxious only thinking i have a lesson the next day.
Years after I asked a psyquiatric wheather it was advisable to try again and he said he strongly recomend it.But again,after passing the theory test,I started being scared and i quitted.

Was you ok when you was learning to drive?