PDA

View Full Version : Food sticking when I swallow

countrygirl
13-10-08, 13:04
I have always had a problem with eating too fast and if its dry food like a dry sandwich then there comes a point where I can't get any more food down and i have to drink and it can hurt a bit to move it - I tell myself off for eating too fast and I have done this for many many years.

I always sleep with my mouth open which means I wake with a mouth that is so dry its unbelievable and my sinuses and throat are full of catarrh which takes about 15 ins of coughing and blowing to get rid of. I have bad phases and good phases with this and at moment very bad - have never found out what causes the bad phases.

Two days ago my Dr gave me amyltrypyline for pain relief and main side effect is a dry mouth. I am finding it incredibly difficult to eat anything dry like a sandwich as the food seems to stick at back of throat and I have to drink to get it to go down. I can take big tablets etc without any problems.

I am trying to convince msyelf that its my normal problem jsut make worse by the bad catarrh and the side effects of the tablets but of course my health anxiety is saying throat cancer.

I know someone who had oesophageal cancer and he kept bringing back all the just chewed food about 10 mins after he started eating and he could only swallow liquids so know I am not that bad.

I know anxiety in itself can cause dry mouth and throat. Does anyone else have this problem??

cthechick84
15-10-08, 23:14
Hey hunni
u soo sound like me sorry to say this but for 7 wks i ave had this problem mine started off like a feeling that somethink was stuck in my throat which i could not clear so i paniced and went to hospital they gave me a exray to check there was nothing stuck in my throat and it was clear. weeks past and it got worse to the stage where i phiscally couldnt swallow solid foods i was on soup,yoghurts and water etc for 7 wks it was horrible i cried myself to sleep most nights hunni and the help and strength i got to get along everyday was frm these guys on here i was a wrec k felt so weak and dizzy and iam only jus get better now. im not trying to make u worse im jsu tellin u my experience i ave dropped from size 14 to a size 10 through not eating solid foods so plz plz eat hunni well try. anyway it was terrible i feel ur pain and worry hun, my concern was exactly like ur about cancer of esopghus so i actually made myself worse by thinking i culdnt swallow foods down thinkin i was gona choke on my foods so thats wot helped my throat tighten up the olde anxiety.lol. so my doc booked me into c ENT and i had a cam up my throat to check tumours etc....and guess wot no tumour but acid reflux-causing my food pipe to b inflammed presbribed me sum Nexuim tabs for the acid in my stomach . i was sooo relived on hearing that as i was hungry,weak and thinkin i was dying for 7 wks for absoluty nothink.im not sayin u shed jus leave it alone as if i was u id get it checked at doctors first to c , but belive me u dnt ave cancer wot so ever its prob anxiety making u worse. iam very interested in spaekin to u so ill leave my email address for u to contact me kendricksbabygal@hotmail.com id love to chat, cnt belive theres someone else wiv my prob .also u said that u been takin amitripltyline well guess wot i started that 2 mnths ago and i jus ct belive u ave thraot probs too becos i belive that that meds caused my swallowing probs as ever since i stared takin it for my nerve pain etc it caused a dry mouth jus like u said then this swallowing prob ha ha i cant belive it....u ad same probs!!! iv stopped that meds now because i dnt belive its helpin anyway. but im not tellin u to stop urs jus b careful wiv it. wot strength do u take i was on 10/20 mg.plz contact me id love to chat and we can share probs.lots of love c.xxx:hugs: