PDA

View Full Version : Seroquel for anxiety/panic

VaL 1975
03-06-05, 18:10
Hello fellow sufferers,

I have a question regarding a medication I'm on. My doctor gave me Soroquel 400mg's to take each night. Everytime I take them I wake up feeling all tired, I go through the day feeling like if I drank alcohol the day before.
I also read Seroquel was for Bipolar and schitzophrenic people (pardon the spelling) but I am neither, I just suffer from panic and anxiety.
Another thing, on days that I fall asleep and accidently forget to take the medication I wakeup fine, without anxiety nor panic, well unless it's not cause by going into public places. But like I was saying, I feel normal when I don't take them. I was taking Xanax which did help alot, the doctor now doesn't want to give me Xanax wants to keep me on seroquel which I hate. Like I explained above. What can I do? Any suggestions. If changing GP is one I have already made an appointment with another.

VG Rivera

nomorepanic
03-06-05, 18:34
Hi there

Not all meds suit all people so maybe you need to change them.

I am sure there are other ones that you can try that have less side-effects for you.

Perhaps ask the doc about this to see if there is something else suitable for you to take.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

seh1980
03-06-05, 20:21
Let's see what the new doctor says and go from there. There's no point you being on these meds if they aren't helping..:D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Meg
03-06-05, 23:15
There seems to be a new trend coming out of the USA to use mood stabilizers for panic and anxiety.

I've not found any major papers advocating this so far.

So I support seeking a new opinion and if they agree with the previous physician, then ask for the research evidence for prescribing this for you as panic/ anxiety is not a licenced indication for the product, so hes making a clinical judgement to use it off licence and you are entitled to ask for his rationale for this..

Please let us know what happens.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

VaL 1975
07-06-05, 01:25
Hello Meg,

I just got home from seeing the new doctor which I'm quite happy with. This psychiatrist is 2 in 1. He is also a psychologist and specializes in traumatic stress. He took 2 hours of his time to talk and answer all my questions. I mentioned this website and how you and others have help me a lot.

I asked him about the other doctor giving me SEROQUEL and guess what. He said that the other GP misprescribed it. Seroquel is a anti-psychotropic medication and has nothing to do with my problem. It is only for people with Bipolar disorder, schitzo's and I forgot what other he said.

I was diagnosed with PTSD, GAD and DEPRESSION. I was given SOLOFT for it, Xanax which I already take and vitamin B injections which I hate because my arse is sore now, hehehe!

I am so pleased with this doctor that as soon as I got out of his office I felt 10 times better and even wanted to drive, and driving is a phobia I got from all this.

I like to thank you Meg, Kate, Sal, Nicola and the rest of the administrators for all the help I've gotten here. Which in some point it was more helpful than an going to an American doctor. I will still be here in touch and now that I feel that I'm on the road to recovery, I hope I could help new sufferers that come in here. Thank you kindly.

VG Rivera

Meg
07-06-05, 21:08
Good news Val,

I'm seeing mood stabilizers being used more now in the USA and it would appear innappropriate in some cases unless patients are not being told their diagnoses ...

Hope Zoloft helps - remember it may take a few days to settle onto and kick in - so if you feel odd know its just that and bear with it. Of course youu may have no side effects at all - many people have none at all

Let us know how you're doing...

When do you see this good chap again ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

nomorepanic
07-06-05, 21:20
Val

Great news!

I am so pleased that they sorted out the right meds for you at last. Please let us know how you are doing ok?

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

HanleyJess
08-06-08, 21:13
I just came across this forum when I was reading up on medications available in the uk and this thread, although old has troubled me ALOT.
The reason why the doctor stopped prescribing xanax is because xanax is a benzo and it is ADDICTIVE. As is any form of valium, many doctors prescribe these two because they are quick fixes and without a doubt you will be returning for more prescriptions. Most doctors will prescribe the addictive substance before the non addictive.
How do I know this, well after going to my doctor of 15 years for panic disorders I was give diazepam and xanax, slowly but surely I became addicted and before I knew it I was taking more and more and ended up in a £70,000 10 week stay in rehab, going through a two week detox off valium and xanax which was AWFUL and terrifying as you are at risk of seizure in withdrawal, I saw it for myself, I also saw 2 men die in detox. I am not saying this to scare anyone I am saying it to educate people in my position!

I have suffered from anxiety and panic disorders for 26 years.

So whats the answer?

You should always ask your doctor first for the non addictive meds. Yes seroqual is an anti pyschotic but only when used over 250mg. I use it for anxiety at 25mg and that is enough, I take it as and when needed and it WORKS, the first few weeks of it you do suffer the usual, dry mouth, constipation and drowziness but it DOES get better, STICK with it and it does get better. I would rather have a few weeks of mild side effects than to EVER go through what I did before, trust me.

I am upset that it is being made out on this thread that the doctor was a bad doctor for prescribing seroquel, no he wasnt, he was probably the best doctor you have seen, he is looking after your BEST interests.
There are many non addictive meds that are available on prescription for pain, panic and depression and I really hope that by writing this maybe one person may not follow the advice as above and take the quick fix by using addictive sedatives...

Remember, 'it works if you work it so work it your worth it'
x