PDA

View Full Version : costochondritis

jenfromdenver
14-10-08, 05:23
Does anyone else have this?

I have been having severe chest pain for almost a week and I kept thinking it was just anxiety, but i would panic every time it flared up. I eventually went to the doctor and he told me I have costochondritis, which is inflammation of the connective tissue in your ribs. Its apparently more common in women, and more or less harmless unless you have this whole panic thing going on and freak out because your chest hurts. there is basically nothing you can do except take anti inflamatories and rest.

I've been on ibuprofen for 4 days and its less stabby but still a dull ache.

I have had this pain for almost a year, and seen countless doctors and everyone just said it was anxiety, so im a little frustrated that no one caught it until now, but somewhat relieved that I actually have a name for whats going on.

here is some more information about it: http://www.jetler.com/jos_autoimmune_sanctuary/jas_costo.html

just wanted to post that, i know chest pain is a frequent complaint and maybe this will be usefull to someone (but see your doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Tracy68
14-10-08, 12:40
I had that once.......horrible isn't it? I remember thinking oh thats it times up so i went to doctors told him and he started to press on my chest and only in certain areas did it hurt and thats when he said i'd got that costochondritis. Not that i could remember it when people asked what was up lol.
Disappears in time and I have to say i've not had it since. Well I may of done but put that down to another one of my millions of heart attacks lol.

Thanks for the info

Tracy
xxx

Venus Calling
14-10-08, 14:16
I was disagnosed with this just two weeks ago after 18 months of complaining to my doctor about chest pains and burning skin - for the first time she decided to press my chest and I nearly hit the ceiling with the pain! I was given Diclofenac to take which I've had to stop because it gives me bad stomach pains. Does your pain radiate out to your neck? I hate that feeling! I also get a vice like squeezing of the ribs which is horrible as well. No wonder we get anxious from this things!

jenfromdenver
15-10-08, 06:22
it does radiate to my neck! and my armpits, which is super weirdo. i get the tight clenching and then sharp stabing pains out of nowhere that nearly knock the wind out of me. my doctor did the same thing, pressed on my chest and i almost punched him!

thanks for the responses, sometimes i feel like im the only one who gets these random, weird diagnoseseses. :)

Venus Calling
15-10-08, 10:28
Don't worry - you're NEVER alone!! :winks: