PDA

View Full Version : "My Effexor Diary"

spongebob
14-10-08, 14:40
Hi all

Just posted my first post in the intro forum so some more background there if anyone is interested!

I have been on Propranolol 80mg for a couple of years now and have just been prescribed Venlafaxine MR (Effexor XL) 75mg because the GAD is still there.

Have them here but haven't taken the first one yet, just a bit worried out taking them as they have a lot of negative feedback - but I guess everything has it's good and bad side and reading the Propranolo forum there is a fair amount of bad feedback there and I didn't think twice about starting those.

Guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance, and guidance - will read this forum to try and get an idea of the best time to take etc.

Will try and post my day by day experiences here.

Matt

Gabby
15-10-08, 08:23
Hiya

I was same - on propanolol for ages then started seroxat then effexor xl.

For me, the side effects when I first started taking them were dreadful for about 2 weeks then calmed right down and it controls my mood and anx pretty well.

I've not had the greatest time trying to come off them but GP has been good at suggesting ways to make it easier so am sure I will get there eventually.

Only think I would say is that they are supposed to be a second stage drug (or so my GP tells me) i.e. they would normally try you on another SSRI type drug first and if that doesnt work, they would try effexor.

Might be worth just asking your GP why they have chosen that as the first step?

Good luck with them anyway - hope they help

G

spongebob
15-10-08, 08:28
Day One

Well I took my first 75mg capsule last night with dinner around 7pm, but wasn't sure what time I should have been taking it. I had some heightened anxiety as soon as I took it, and started imagining side effects right away! I felt quite relaxed as the evening went on though, just chilled out and watched some TV.

Went to bed about 10:30pm and read for an hour, and feeling tired decided to go to sleep. So basically cue a whole night of lying there trying to get to sleep but having racing thoughts and needing the toilet every hour. I think I may have got an hour total throughout the night but it wasn't good sleep.

I don't know if this was a side effect from the med or just anxiety at having taken it but I feel very rough this morning - no sleep, plus feel nauseous and shaky. I know the first couple of weeks can be rough, so am just looking forward thinking that this is expected and not to worry.

Am thinking about taking the capsule at lunchtime today and maybe first thing tomorrow as if it gives me racing thoughts I don't need these as a I try to get to sleep.

Gabby
15-10-08, 09:16
Hiya again!

side effects I got were nausea and light headedness - both normal apparently. I also get them if I forget to take it on time and go more than about 4 hours late.

Stick with it - it'll get easier.

BTW I take mine in the morning - seems better for me.

spongebob
15-10-08, 09:25
Yeah I think I'm going to switch to taking them in the morning, as they seem to give me a lot of energy which is no good right before I go to bed.

As for the GP prescribing me these, she had prescribed me Citalopram a few months back but we decided between us to hold off on those. When I saw her this time she thought Effexor would be best as in her experience she has seen better results with them for treating mainly anxiety (as I have symptoms of like anixety 80%, depression 10%, panic 10%).

spongebob
16-10-08, 09:58
Day Two

Took my tablet with lunch yesterday and while it made me feel very spaced out in the afternoon and evening I went to sleep with no problem and only woke up once - so I think taking them earlier is the better option for me.

Felt like I had the flu yesterday evening, but I guess that's just the side effects. Woke up this morning with a really bad headache which is resisting painkillers at the moment. Hopefully that will go away with time or now that I have eaten.

Have taken todays pill with breakfast so will see how that works out.

Jon06121974
16-10-08, 10:37
Hi

I think its a great idea doing a blog on here i wish i had when i started venlafaxine. Im one of the lucky ones who found venlafaxine after 8 months of severe anxiety problems both mentally & physically. This drug worked almost from day 1, i did have headaches and tiredness and flu feelings but compared to daily panic attacks, blurred vision and the thought that i was going to have a fit this was an improvement. It all goes after a week or so so keep at it. I started on 75mg for a week then went to 150mg. I will say that although i found this drug the best for me dont set your expectations to high. It helped me and got me back to about 75% of my normal self but i still had minor anxiety, weakness and mood swings but nowhere near as bad as id had before the drug. I also found that at the 2 month stage i experienced a few head zaps and still experienced tiredness but i was told that this was the drug and not my body.

I managed to withdraw from this drug in 4 weeks and so far 3 months on im doing ok. the key to coming off for me was to understand that the drug replicates some symptoms of anxiety which may not be being caused by your body. Its hard to explain but its almost as if you recover underneath the drug but still have some symptoms that the drug brings on. Its only once you withdraw completely that you realise that you can be stable and moreless panic free.

Im going through a testing time at the moment as i have just had to resign from my job as the pressure really got to me (it was in a very aggressive sales role) i found i couldnt function and ended up having to make up appointments etc just to keep my job. (i only made up a few appointments nothing else) Im now stressed out as the company know i made up some appointments to hide that i was struggling and im ashamed and worried about my reputation. The problem i have is that i have held senior roles in management before i got ill and i find accepting failure very hard, its difficult to accept that you will never be the same person as you were before in terms of emotional strength. I only had this job for 4 months and when i took it i was convinced i could cope and that i was still the same person but i realise now that sales isnt me anymore so im seeking a role in training or something similar. I just find my emotions running away with negative thoughts rather than looking to the future and finding a role that will make me happy. (sorry got that off my chest) what im trying to say is that this drug got me functioning again but thats as far as it goes the last 25% is up to me to change my life to help keep the anxiety away. My psychiatrist who has been brilliant gave me one prescription when i finished with him in August and that was to look at the meaning of the word mindfulness on the internet. I will keep an eye on how your getting on so if you want to ask anything about symptoms etc just let me know. Good luck with the recovery.

spongebob
16-10-08, 20:10
Thanks for the kind words Jon, always interesting to hear from someone who has been there. Sorry to hear about your job, and hope that it all works out okay.

I have come to the conclusion as well that perhaps my job is too high pressured for me and I need to find something else, but when you're in the grip of the anxiety you feel trapped and the thought of making a life change (as in new job) was too much for me to think about.

The doctor made a good point that there is no point keep patching me up to put me back on the front line just to fall again - if my personality is not suited to the job or the situation then I need to change it ('square peg, round hole' in his words).

I just hope the medication gives me the strength to make a change for the better and get the most out of my CBT experience.

spongebob
17-10-08, 09:07
Day Three

Well after taking yesterdays pill at breakfast I felt pretty tired and run down during the day and had the headache for most of the day. I didn't have any appetite but managed to eat in the evening.

Again didn't have any problem falling asleep at around 11pm and only woke up once, so hopefully taking the pill earlier has stopped the falling asleep problem.

Woke up this morning still feeling like I have the flu, with another headache. Hoping that this is just my body getting used to the medication and will settle down after a few days.

Was supposed to be going somewhere last night but don't feel co-ordinated enough to drive safely at the moment.

Jon06121974
17-10-08, 09:24
The doctor made a good point that there is no point keep patching me up to put me back on the front line just to fall again - if my personality is not suited to the job or the situation then I need to change it ('square peg, round hole' in his words).

I think this comment of yours is the key to both mine and your long term recovery, Unfortunately some of us seem to have an inbuilt self destruct button. Mine is taking on to much and putting to much pressure on myself to be someone im not really capable of being at the moment. I like the lifestyle where i dont have to many money worries and can eat out and do nice things with my family without to much worry about finances, Im really struggling to accept at the moment that for a year or two i may have to plod along just making sure the mortgage is paid and learn a new proffesion that will enable me to work without extreme daily pressure! Im a proud person who also worries to much about what others think, a few years ago i was happy and successful now i just dread bumping into someone from my school days and being asked what im doing!

To look at the positives i have a beautiful wife and two fantastic if not loud children, we have recently bought a decent house so i really should be looking on the bright side, i guess im just scared of the future and what it holds for me following this illness.

Sorry to hear you have not noticed an improvement yet in the meds, its the weekend in 8 hours so chill out go for a walk and get lots of sleep, Hopefully you will feel better by Monday.

spongebob
18-10-08, 09:06
Day Four

Had a massive burst of energy yesterday afternoon where I managed to cut the grass, and do lots of other jobs around the house. Felt tired in the evening but it's expected after all that manual effort.

Strange being a Friday night and having no alcohol (have decided not to drink while on the tablets).

Had a good nights sleep and woke up this morning feeling not too bad, no real flu like symptoms or headache. I just feel a bit spaced out and seem to be shaking more than usual.

Hopefully will feel a bit better once I've eaten, drunk some water and had my tablets.

At the moment don't seem to have a significant reduction in anxiety from what I can tell. Need to try and go out today to get some air and see how I am in public.

hamster
19-10-08, 10:39
Sorry to hear the effects the venlafaxine is having at day 4. Fellow long term sufferer of severe anxiety here-found venlafaxine out of the chemist shop I've been prescribed over 10+years has worked best for me. Interested to hear how your sessions go-particularly do they give you any info on 'accepting' your condition? My pysch told me until I accept I can never go back to career & must build life outwith work I won't move on but finding that one difficult even tho' I have most supportive husband in the world.
Hang in there-Hamster

spongebob
19-10-08, 13:09
Day Five

Well the flu like symptoms started to lift yesterday and I went out twice, one to the supermarket which is normally an anxiety provoking place (big open plan building, lots of people).

Happy to say that I had no feelings of anxiety, none of the light headedness I normally have. Despite me telling myself I should be feeling anxious I just didn't feel any of the normal feelings.

Woke feeling good this morning and went out again to do a job and felt okay again.

As I said to my wife yesterday, normally when I'm anxious the unsteady/dizzy feeling I get makes me feel like the top half of my body weighs 75% of my total weight and the bottom 25% almost like my legs can't support the top. But yesterday I felt like it was the other way round, I felt very stable.

I just hope that this is the start of something and not just a temporary feeling.

Off out now for a 5 mile hike through the countryside.:)

Jon06121974
19-10-08, 14:02
Really positive things happening hey! enjoy the walk

hamster
19-10-08, 16:53
Good news re progress day 5-hopefully a start of a run of good days for you!

Diane75
19-10-08, 22:09
Hey Spongebob.
Effexor was the ticket for me.
Was on it for eight years tho (def too long) in that time turned my life a full
360!
A word of warning-I've just started coming of it and its difficult.
Head zaps, dizziness etc.
But one thing I'll say is "It really got me living again, instead of just existing."
All the best of luck!
D.

spongebob
20-10-08, 09:13
Thanks for the replies guys, really nice reading them.

Day Six

Had a great walk yesterday, lovely weather and really nice countryside and village scenery. I'm sure that exercise is also the key to beating this illness - and finally I think the medication might give me the energy and motivation to do it where it wasn't there before.

Haven't had any alcohol for a week now and I think this also helps, as it used to make me anxious before for thinking I needed it and afterwards when I had the bad effects. I just need to get rid of the caffiene also and I'll be even better I think.

Just a couple of lingering side effects to mention - neither that bad - first I seem to be yawning excessively and when I finish a yawn get a really tight feeling in jaw and throat for a couple of seconds. Secondly my eyes sometimes feel like they are struggling to stay straight, like there is a mild feeling they are slightly cross eyed when they aren't.

Jon06121974
20-10-08, 11:58
Dont worry about the side effects i had them to they are quite normal. the yawning thing stayed with me throughout my time on the med but the eyes improve but it does come back if you get run down or have a bad nights sleep.

Glad all is going well, Exercise is the key but dont over do it like me! 15 mins a day is fine to start with.

Its stange i used to get an increase in anxiety or side effects 2-3 days after overdoing it or not sleeping so dont be suprised if that happens. Aparently thats normal to!

Keep up the good work and you will get the rewards!

spongebob
21-10-08, 10:12
Day Seven

Yesterday went okay, had a doctors appointment in the afternoon (unrelated to this) which was fine, no real anxiety and went out in the evening - felt a slight tinge of anxiety but nowhere near as much as I normally get in those situations.

Think I felt slightly anxious yesterday because I had planned to get some jobs done during the day but ended up doing nothing and it probably made me feel a bit down. I'm sure that achieving goals and feeling proud of achieving things is linked to the feelings of depression and anxiety.

Need to try and add a small amount of regular exercise into my daily routine. Am going to try a gentle 30 min jog each day on our running machine, or alternate that with some yoga.

Jon06121974
21-10-08, 12:35
I totally agree that doing nothing is the worst thing for this illness! Since leaving my job last week ive been at home obviously job hunting which is a nightmare as its all rejections or waiting for the phone to ring. So have experienced quite a few depressive spells. Got temp work today though starting Thursday which is a relief as this will break my current routine and pay the mortgage if nothing else so finance worries are less as well.

Ref exercise its a great cure short term, i took my son swimming yesterday afternoon as was feeling low and had a real good session, came out knackered and tired but today ive a spring in my step so going to go for short jog later to keep it going. Just be careful not to overdo it as it will take more of a toll on you than you think to start with. I get like a popping in my leg muscles which is really weird and makes me panic as im used to being really fit, if i let it calm down and take a day off it goes and im ready ro run again.

Down side to running is its dam cold today! Yep im a blouse!

spongebob
22-10-08, 10:02
Day Eight

Well I had a little anxiety yesterday and this morning but I think this is related to one incident. As part of the occ health work are doing they have their own CBT people now, so instead of going back to the lady I had before I have to go and see them.

The lady I saw before was in Canterbury about 15 minutes from my house, but works new people are based in Southwark in London. I said that it's a 2h30m trip each way for me to get there, but they seem to be very ignorant to what that means to someone with this condition. They also want 8 sessions to begin with which would be hell (8 x 5 hour train trips to London and the cost!).

I don't want to go and would rather see my old therapist but they seem very unempathetic to what I'm going through which doesn't make me very confident about their counselling skills.

Supposed to be going tomorrow but going to email them today to say it's just too much and too far. But all in all it's made me very stressed and anxious. :weep:

hamster
22-10-08, 13:29
Sorry to hear about your news! It seems very unrealistic of your work to expect you to travel over 2hours to an appointment, anyone you could discuss it with at work HR department so could come to some sort of compromise situation? Was the other CBT person thro' NHS? Though I can totally understand the thought of phoning people/ e-mailing etc is totally anxiety provoking I usually have to pace the floor for at least 30mins & write about 20 drafts of same e-mail. Let us know how it goes once you've contacted them & take care.

Yvonne
22-10-08, 21:05
Bob,

Good to do a diary on here.

Regarding the effexor, you are doing well I reckon. The first two weeks on the med my anx was pretty bad and I was shaking a lot.

You have stressors at the moment and they are not helping at all so I do sympathise. The med hasn't even kicked in properly yet I can assure y ou of that.

Well done for doing so well. Take care.

Oh by the way I've been on 150 for about two months now and I find it a pretty good med (I've had loads). Side effect wise - they have been little in comparison to some other meds. I get a bit drowsy a couple of hours after taking it but in general have a lot more energy than on other meds. My appetite is good but I do still have some anx and I am having a few lows but many more good days than bad.

Wish you well. Take carex

spongebob
23-10-08, 11:11
Thanks for the replies, it's been a stressful couple of days due to work related administration, requests for meetings I need to go to etc.

Day Nine

Felt pretty anxious yesterday because of the external stuff going on, and it's good to hear that the meds might not have properly kicked in yet as I wouldn't like to think that this is the best I'm going to feel.

I felt really drowsy in the evening after eating, I only managed until 10pm and had to go to sleep. I slept almost 12 hours last night and felt pretty groggy this morning, but feeling a bit better now.

Got a lot of work stuff going on, but not feeling anxious so much as a strange spaced out feeling - I guess it's still anxiety but displaying in a different way.

spongebob
24-10-08, 11:24
Day Ten

Felt very anxious yesterday because I found out I have to go into work in just over a week to discuss my future at the company after my latest report from the occ health doctor. It's with the director of HR and my department, so I'm anxious about actually going in and meeting them.

Woke up this morning feeling better, and had a GP appointment to get another sick note. Felt okay in the surgery and been to the supermarket afterwards which is normally a trigger place. Felt a bit of anxiety but managed to overcome it, I think the meds helped but feel like they aren't running 100% yet.

Have my first (with the new doctor, have had sessions before) CBT session arranged for 2 weeks time also.

spongebob
25-10-08, 13:07
Day Eleven

Felt quite anxious last night, but I think it may have been because I had been drinking a lot of Coke which always makes me jittery. Almost gave in and had a couple of beers while watching a film at home but my willpower held out and I feel better for it this morning.

jo61
25-10-08, 14:52
If you're not up to going to discuss your future, don't do it. If you're signed off then you don't have to. It can be done by correspondence, usually with the intervention of the doctor. I'm out of HR a few years but it might be worth your while contacting your CAB office to see what your rights are. I can understand why going to see work makes you anxious, being the queen of anticipatory anxiety myself!!

spongebob
26-10-08, 10:12
Day Twelve

Strange day yesterday - went to a shopping mall which is the worst of all places to trigger my anxiety and I did get it pretty bad, having to fight to stay calm all the time - so that got me pretty depressed - the anxiety lasted bad for about an hour after we left there.

Then in the evening went to the cinema, again somewhere that can trigger anxiety - but I felt so relaxed it was untrue, sitting in the big comfy leather seats I felt like I was in my own lounge I was so relaxed.

Day of contrasts that's for sure!

spongebob
28-10-08, 12:09
14 days in now and still not working 100% as far as I can tell, one strange thing I have noticed is that I have sprained 3 muscles in the last few days, something I virtually never did before - I wonder if taking this med affects muscles at all?

MyNameIsntRich
24-11-08, 09:44
Thanks for the diary, I hope you will update it soon as you have not posted in a while. Ill be following. I hope to start my own diary also soon, however mine will be for coming off the effexor.