PDA

View Full Version : Alcoholism threads

Nibbles
14-10-08, 20:49
The admin team had a meeting today to discuss the recent alcoholism threads that were closed. We came to the decision that alcoholism and anxiety related issues can be connected with one another. Therefore, alcoholism is a relevant subject to this forum and members are free to post about the subject. However, the admin team are still working on a set of guidelines to be followed when posting about this matter. We therefore ask that you do not post about alcoholism until these guidelines appear on this thread. It is estimated that the guidelines will be published within 48 hours.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

The NMP Admin Team

titchjd
14-10-08, 21:23
Hiya ......

Thanx 4 keeping us informed ..I am SO glad that you have decided to enable us 2 discuss this issue as It is an important issue where anxiety is concerned .

Lets hope we can all help each other on this issue like we do on others .

Big hugs
Titchjd xxxxxxxxxxx:yesyes:

marie1974
14-10-08, 21:31
hiya and thanku for letting us all know and like titch says im really pleased too you have decided the issue can be discussed on here.

i hope it can stay positive and we can all help each other. hugs xxxx

kendo59
15-10-08, 03:24
Sadly, anxiety & depression can sometimes lead to all sorts of addictions & substance abuse, from alcoholism to drug addiction (addiction to prescription meds & all the way up to cocaine & heroin addictions), and even self-harming. I imagine trying to consider all these various issues, and where to draw the line of what to allow or not, is no small task.

Oceanblue
15-10-08, 06:19
Sadly, anxiety & depression can sometimes lead to all sorts of addictions & substance abuse, from alcoholism to drug addiction (addiction to prescription meds & all the way up to cocaine & heroin addictions), and even self-harming. I imagine trying to consider all these various issues, and where to draw the line of what to allow or not, is no small task.

I've never really thought about it much myself as both the anxiety & depression has unfortunately lead me to all of these things, other than herion addiction and so I think it would have been considered naturally to feel free to talk about it here.

I am now nearly clear of all. I say nearly because the thoughts of self-harming can still run through my head, and I can have a drink from time to time, but nothing like how I used to use it, (self medicating that is). Now, I'm lucky to know and realise the consequences and am able to control the alcohol and self harm by having been through what I have with illness, breakdown, having to detox, etc. Some people like my dad, can't touch a drop. It depends on the individual.

Most people choose this because they're frightened of becoming physically addicted again, and I don't blame them either, as it's a very scary thing to have to go through once it's taken a hold on you. I'm lucky and have a supportive partner, who looks out for me and knows the signs if things were to ever get out of hand again. I believe if I wasn't with him, I too would be very scared to ever touch another drop again.

I'm so glad the Team here have come up with a decision to keep addictions on the forum, personally I wouldn't understand otherwise.
Things started to get out of hand on the Alcohol Threads, this was ashame but I believe it was because some were taking posts very personally and misunderstanding other peoples views who were explaining through their own experiences and beliefs.

I'd disagree that some of the support in those messages were negative, I think all were valid and keeping things real.

Thanks for letting us know what's happening Mike :flowers: ,

I really hope that some constructive posts/messages etc,.. can now continue as I feel that it's such an important issue relating to anxiety/panic and depression and vice versa.

jodie
15-10-08, 07:38
hiya

mike ,i think your right to alcoholism is something that has come up on the forum from time to time and it is something that runs along side pa and ect .
i think it will be a good thing to have a thread going about this and for people to be able to talk about it and support each other in a nice calm way knowing we all have a different opinion on this subject,as i feel it can affect people in many different ways from family living with someone who drinks to much to someone being addicted to it themselves .

jodie xx

Nibbles
15-10-08, 20:18
GUIDELINES FOR ALCOHOLISM THREADS

Alcoholism can be related to anxiety and members are therefore free to post about this subject.
Please be aware that the contents of these threads are the views and opinions of sufferers (and sometimes their partners/family). The content is not a professional opinion.
While debating and discussion is fine, NMP will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. NMP's decision is final in these matters.
Please respect the views and opinions of other members. Contact an admin if you feel their behaviour is unsatisfactory and they will look into the matter.
Think before you type. A lack of body language and tone of voice make internet forums prone to misunderstandings and therefore posts can sometimes be misinterpreted. Please take a break and come back to a thread before replying if something has upset you.
Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) non-sense posts, or the such.
NMP reserves the right to remove offensive posts without notice.The purpose of NMP is to support and advise sufferers of anxiety related conditions. Please respect these guidelines which are in place to protect the community.

Existing alcoholism threads have now been reopened.

Thank you for your patience and understanding whilst this matter was dealt with.

The NMP Admin Team

marie1974
15-10-08, 20:30
:yahoo: thanks admins. wooohoooo.:bighug1: xxxxxx:grouphug: everyone.

marie1974
15-10-08, 21:02
:ohmy: i thought i reopend this thread, i will try again :hugs:

marie1974
15-10-08, 21:03
im trying to re open my hugs for wayne one but for some reason it keeps posting to this one

Nibbles
15-10-08, 21:59
Sorry Donna, a mistake on my part. Hugs thread should be open now. :)

marie1974
15-10-08, 22:01
thanku very much mike, lisa turned into super women and sorted it very quickly ;) xxxxxxxxxx hugs xxxxxxxxxx

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
22-10-08, 10:07
Only just noticed this thread!:blush:

Thank you admins for re-opening the threads, much appreciated, and your guidelines are very fair.

bumbles
22-10-08, 10:19
They go hand in hand I am at a class CBT and most are recovering Alcoholics I am one of a few without other problems. Its a must to include these posts