PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack - oh the joy of it!!!

eeyorelover
15-10-08, 04:55
The title is sarcasm folks!!!
LOL

Well here I am. It's almost 11pm and I'm feeling like I can't breath, tightness in my chest, flushed, hot, sweating like a streetwalker in church, all my muscles are so tense that I ache all over, racing thoughts, and any little sound makes me want to jump out of my skin!!!

I haven't felt like this in ages and usually I can feel the panic coming on but tonite for some reason it's got the best of me so I'm going to write a novelete about it.

What was different today than every other day that I can control this stupid thing?? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

That is the part that still baffles me! I can have a normal day, no more stress than usual and POOF here I am feeling crappy and sitting on the computer trying to take my mind off it!

Now I know I'm going to be fine. Hell I've been thru this enough times in the past 17 years that I'll live thru it no problem, but it still really gets to me that I can go so long without feeling this way and then for no reason have a bout with it AGAIN!

I'm angry that I haven't found anything to get rid of this once and for all. I'm mad as hell that I let it rule my life for so long and now that I'm back to some kind of normalcy it can rear it's ugly head again just to show me I'm not always in control!

With all the research that goes on in the world you would figure that someone would come up with a cure for this!!!
I know that many believe meds are the way to go but I've never had anything but bad experiences with them so they just aren't for me.

So I will spend another hour or so trying to keep my mind off of it and then try to get some sleep and hopefully it will be a long while before I feel this way again!

Just a rant! Ignore the raving lunatic whom you see now cuz usually I'm pretty sane - altho it depends on who you ask!!!
LOL
Nite everyone
xxx
Sandy

jodie
15-10-08, 07:02
hiya sandy

hope you are feeling better by the time you read this.

you say what was different today and what has made you panic ,well i think sometimes our panic comes from a thought in our head that we pay not much attention to but our subconscious dose and it sets of a panic.
i know how you feel ,i am cross to that i can be fine and hold things together then bam out of the blue a panic and i guess we may get this most of our life so it is down to how we deal with it and what attention we give it at the time,so stay strong and know it is just a pa,it wont harm you it is just testing you thats all:hugs:

jodie x

Oceanblue
15-10-08, 07:11
The title is sarcasm folks!!!
LOL

Well here I am. It's almost 11pm and I'm feeling like I can't breath, tightness in my chest, flushed, hot, sweating like a streetwalker in church, all my muscles are so tense that I ache all over, racing thoughts, and any little sound makes me want to jump out of my skin!!!

I haven't felt like this in ages and usually I can feel the panic coming on but tonite for some reason it's got the best of me so I'm going to write a novelete about it.

What was different today than every other day that I can control this stupid thing?? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

That is the part that still baffles me! I can have a normal day, no more stress than usual and POOF here I am feeling crappy and sitting on the computer trying to take my mind off it!

Now I know I'm going to be fine. Hell I've been thru this enough times in the past 17 years that I'll live thru it no problem, but it still really gets to me that I can go so long without feeling this way and then for no reason have a bout with it AGAIN!

I'm angry that I haven't found anything to get rid of this once and for all. I'm mad as hell that I let it rule my life for so long and now that I'm back to some kind of normalcy it can rear it's ugly head again just to show me I'm not always in control!

With all the research that goes on in the world you would figure that someone would come up with a cure for this!!!
I know that many believe meds are the way to go but I've never had anything but bad experiences with them so they just aren't for me.

So I will spend another hour or so trying to keep my mind off of it and then try to get some sleep and hopefully it will be a long while before I feel this way again!

Just a rant! Ignore the raving lunatic whom you see now cuz usually I'm pretty sane - altho it depends on who you ask!!!
LOL
Nite everyone
xxx
Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I hope you feel better today. I've been feeling like this for the past month or so now (it's come back to haunt me), scares me so much as I'm petrified of losing my mind like I once did afew years back. This I feel and am sure makes the anxiety so much worse, but I just can't help it.

Wishing you well :flowers:

Granny Primark
15-10-08, 09:23
I know the feeling sandy,
How many times do we say why? And wonder what the hell has brought this on? What have I done any different today than I did yesterday to justify a panic attack.
I can go a couple of weeks without having a p.a. then wham out of blue I get one.
So damn frustrating!
I read on this site that someone said when they get a p.a instead of trying to fight the feelings just say "come on bring it on I can cope, you dont scare me"
Thats what I say to myself now, it does help a little.
Hope you're feeling better.:hugs:

bottleblond
15-10-08, 11:05
Heya Sandy

Hope you're feeling better gal :flowers:

I also get angry with myself bacause half the time i feel poop, there is no rhyme nor reason for it. It's just there, in my face and making me feel rubbish.

kick ass Sandy

Love and hugs
Lisa
xxxx

:bighug1:

sheena
15-10-08, 11:19
Hi Sandy

I used to get panick attacks on a daily basis and like you they are now mostly under control and rear their ugly heads few and far between.

I had one Monday, I have learnt to breathe through them but I get very angry not at myself but at the panick attack.

I just shout at it saying I know you're letting me know that you are still hanging around but no way will you make me scared of you again so just bob off.

Keep well,

Sheena

june
15-10-08, 11:38
Sandy,

I so agree with you on this point and I really do wish you well:yesyes:

On just this point = I am still in written argument with a Mental Health team who tell me that "You know all the ways to get over a panic attack"" therefore you do not need our help…………………
It is just what I DO need.:mad: a Panic attack comes out of the blue ….. And I firmly believe that it CANNOT be controlled WITHOUT proper guidance on HOW to do it.
Take meds – OK that will help
Control your breathing = Ok that will help
But their attitude that “”Do as I say (just verbal instructions) and you will be cured””
And
“” why let it worry you this time????”” is insulting.
Because THIS time it feels 10 times worse than the last time……………………..
Show us HOW to breath properly until we can do it on our own. :yesyes:
Go through other methods until we have some confidence.:yesyes:
THEN we can get on with our live like anyone else.:yesyes: :yesyes:
Their argument is that it would take up a lot of time:ohmy:
MY argument is that it does anyway...:blush:
Wow
Best wishes
june
:hugs: :hugs:

pooh
15-10-08, 14:00
Hiya

now some of you may think this is crazy but how about this for an alternative...sandy the next time you feel mr pa makin a visit ask him how he is doing where he has been what hes been up to treat him like an old friend that has popped round for coffee crack a few jokes i say this because mr pa isn't high on social niceties lol hes much mor likely to grab his coat and leave than have a nice pleasant conversation about the weather lol

Pooh x

sheena
15-10-08, 15:38
Hi June

That is so condescendingsaying do as I say this time and you will be okay. I bet they would not say that to you if they had experienced a panick attack.

I did not mean to make light in my previous post, I obviously know how bad a panic attack is.

When I say breath with the attack I mean to breath noisely and hard with every breath you take during a panic attack. I say to myself that his will end, I will not die, I hate what you are doing to my body but you will end.

Obviously for years I used to cry real bad during my panic attacks and had to, as I still do know, get in a kneeling position and rest my head on the bed or chair and keep as still as I can.

I can only tell you how I did it. I hope that one day you will be able to manage your panic attacks.

Best wishes

Sheena

eeyorelover
15-10-08, 18:51
Ok I've been thinking about this and, June, don't you wish that all who treat anxiety would have to have had suffered once themselves???
Sometimes doctors etc can be so condescending and it drives me nuts!!!
They say 'I know how you feel' and all you want to say back is 'NO YOU DON'T'!!
I feel much better today, a little foggy, but other than that I'm better.
I think that I just had too much caffiene because I've been burning the candle at both ends with the job, school, kids, hubby........did I forget anything???
LOL
Way back when I was always anxious and tired and all I wanted to do was sleep and now I'm better and don't get enough sleep. haha

Another thought...
therapists, counselors, and doctors who treat anxiety must have experienced it themselves AND
doctors who treat pregnant women should have to have a baby cuz no man can ever understand the pain that is involved with passing something the size of a watermelon out a opening the size of a grapefruit without experiencing it firsthand!!!!!!
PMSL
Anyway back on topic...
THANK YOU ALL for your supportive replies!!!
They are greatly appreciated!!
xxx
Sandy

june
16-10-08, 11:33
Hi, glad you are a bit better sandy:flowers: i loved your post:hugs:

I have been feeling very sorry for myself for a while now.
I have real bad back ache:weep:
I am my own worst enemy because i read all the "instructions in the meds and if i think it sounds a bit "iffy" i panic. :blush:
Should i take them or not take them even cream for my back - 2 lots of prescribed cream say " if you suffer from urticaria " do not use this cream!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: for the last 6 years urticaria has been almost constant.

This morning I have a couple of quite horrible axiety attacks - the awful giddiness - no matter where you sit the chair seems to move:mad:
THEN I read sandy's post and I really laughed "Oh how right you are" all the platitudes they (the medics) come out with I really fell like raving at them.

As for having a baby, i clearly remember 1961 a nurse saying"don't be so silly you can't be in labour. Baby is not due for 2 weeks. She was born an hour later. Just 4pound in weight, the mad rush for doctor incubator etc:yesyes:
AS for medics saying "I know how you feel" my psychaitrist asked me a question and while i was explaining - he started doing neck excercises:ohmy: I asked him if I was boring him?? He said he had a bad neck - so i said "I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL"":D
Feel a bit better after this
So so relieved to be able so spout "rubbish" and be understood.
:flowers: :flowers: Thank you all
June

eeyorelover
16-10-08, 11:55
Hiya June -
Sorry you went thru that rough patch over the meds.
I am a total medication phob now after being on so many different ones early on in my journey thru this anxietyland ;)

Love that you got to say that to the counselor! Would have loved to have seen the look on his face!! LOL

Yes I'm feeling better. I had school last nite and made it thru okay. It's kind of odd being in a sea of 19 year olds in class and the instructor saying something about back in the 1970's and how no one in the class was probably even born yet. I wanted to raise my hand and say 'yes I was!!' but it made me feel old!!!
haha

Maybe a heating pad would help ease some of your back pain.
:)
xxx
Sandy