PDA

View Full Version : DLA for Agoraphobia

xBettyBoopx
15-10-08, 19:09
Hi Ev1

I know that DLA has been discussed quite often on this forum, but I would like to do a poll on who gets what (if any) & in what area you live.

I hope you will take the time to reply as I am very curious about how they make their decisions. It's for people with chronic agoraphobia who cannot work.

Thank you in advance.

Els
xxx

Karen
16-10-08, 00:03
I voted that I get both the care and mobility components but whilst I do have an element of agoraphobia, I have many other psychological and physical problems.

Karen

Alabasterlyn
16-10-08, 09:03
I get the lower rate of the mobility component. I have tried to get the care component too but was turned down and really didn't feel up to appealing. I am curious as to how they base their decisions on these kinds of things as it seems to me that a lot of people get turned who should be getting it and also I know of people whose situation is the same as mine yet they get the care element.

Karen
17-10-08, 03:44
I would add that if anyone is considering applying, the Citizens Advice Bureau are very helpful and will sit down and fill the form in with you. I sought advice and went from the lowest of care and mobility components to the highest for both.

It is worth seeking help and support.

Karen

xBettyBoopx
24-10-08, 01:27
Thank you to the 13 people who replied to my poll. I can't really do much with the information as I don't know which part of the UK you come from.

Hi Karen - I actually had someone from the cba come around & fill the form in for me, but I still was turned down. I thought that I would get somewhere if I appealed because they are actual drs look at the circumstances when you appeal, but I didn't make any difference. I didn't answer the poll myself, lol, but it would have been a 'no'.

Thanks again, I guess if only 13 people answered then a lot more people work than I actually thought, or maybe some people haven't seen it yet, so I will leave it up for a while longer.

Sorry if I'm jabbering on & my typing's poo, I'm having a panic attack at the moment:mad: I'm telling myself that it won't hurt me, trying to shrug my shoulders & say "ok come & do your very worst", it's very hard tho:shrug: :scared15:

Thanks again.

Els
xxx

Karen
24-10-08, 04:29
Sorry your application and appeal was turned down. I don't know how they judge awards but I found the CAB very helpful - mind you I do have multiple problems.

Hugs for the rough time you are having with panic attacks :hugs:

Karen xx

sunshine-lady
09-02-09, 23:19
I get both care and mobility componants, however I do have other problems as well as agoraphobia - I'm in the North East area

kashameets
11-02-09, 20:02
i have agoraphobia and social phobia and the first time i was turned down cos they said i was aware of where i was when i was out, which is just silly as i cant go out on my own in the first place!:shrug: i tried again and said i didnt know where i was when i was out when i have a panic attack.
i was given both dla .
i got the care one cos i cant cook a meal on my own as i dont trust my self to cook it properly.
when you fill out the form make sure you put your worse days, dont say might, if, or sometimes, say WHEN.

maybeoneday
14-07-09, 15:53
hi
i have agoraphobia i cant get incapacity benefit as ive not paid enough stamp as i have only worked partt time since having the children, i applied for dla as i am scared to be on my own in the house too, but all i got is low rate mobility, the questions are so hard to answer and te contradict each other, it makes me cross that some people can get it and some cant, i know it sounds terrible but if the doctor said to me i can cut your arm off and it will make you better, i would gladly take the option. i cant get the high rate mobility cos i can walk??? but i cant walk outside???
i live in east anglia.

sb001f8994
14-07-09, 16:14
Hi maybeoneday,
I applied many years ago and got knocked back because I could walk and yet a bloke who lived by me got it and he could walk and go to the pub every night to boast about it...he had agoraphobia that seemed to disappear at opening hours!!! I would not apply again as I found the whole matter awful, I was visited by a doctor who made me strip down to my underwear and he gave me a thorough examination. He had me touching my toes and then made me go out for a walk with him even though I said I couldnt so after a lot of bullying I went round the corner only to be told if I could get round the corner I could go out! It was a nightmare. The whole system needs over hauling, there are many people on this site who need the help and are not getting it and there are many people in this world who dont need the help but abuse the system arrrrrr it makes me mad.
Carol

maybeoneday
14-07-09, 16:51
hi carol
omg that sounds a horrible thing to go through, it makes me so angry, i could moan all day on here.
there is a bloke that lives near us that gets it cos he has a bad arm..apparently it goes numb....he plays the drums in a band!!!! also another one gets every benefit going as hes an drug taker so gets it for mental health he also gota bad leg??? he rides his bike past my house everyday carrying his crutches!!!!
arrrrrrrrr lol
i am new on this sight , can i ask do you not go out at all?

sb001f8994
14-07-09, 17:06
Hi maybeoneday,
I can get out a bit on a good day but have to rely on lifts as Im not a good walker...my legs are perfectly fine but I panic! Ive recently been the pub for twenty mins...felt like an eternity and I can go to the first aisle of the supermarket so always come home from shopping with too many sweets, mags and meat!
And yes the people of this world who get benefits and dont need them drive me mad too. The government needs to realise there are a lot of derserving people who get overlooked every day.
Almost forgot to say, welcome! Theres a good chat room that you can go in after five days...I think its five days! Ive only been a member a few months and theres alot of good information available and there's a quiz every saturday at nine pm, we dont take it seriously but its a good laugh.
Carol

maybeoneday
14-07-09, 17:27
hi carol

i will keep a look out on here for you.
do you have children? i feel realy guilty for mine as i cant get out with them.

sb001f8994
14-07-09, 17:34
Hi maybeoneday,
Yes I have three kids, two boys aged 28 and 24 and a daughter aged 16. Ive missed alot of things with my daughter, Ive never been on holiday with her but she goes with her dad and hasnt missed out on seeing the world. She seems to handle it better than me. There are times when I feel a failure as a mum and I feel that all I have to give her is love but wonder is this enough? It was different with my sons, although I didnt go abroad with them I did manage holidays in this country. I also have three grandchildren and even though I dont get to visit them, they come here and stay which is always good fun.
Can I ask if you are on face book at all?
Take care
Carol

maybeoneday
14-07-09, 17:47
hi
yes im on facebook, i have 4 children, 25, 22, 19 and 12 got like this after having my last boy who was very ill being born at 29 weeks. got better then got thyroid problems which has left me like this.
i to can give my children lots of love, like you say is that enough.
think im down today as its the time of month, the other night i was out to my dads party in his house and to stop the panic i had to sing and dance all night on the singstar lol,

denise xx

sb001f8994
14-07-09, 18:22
Hi Denise,
Singing certainly helps! If you want to look me up on face book Im carol buckley and Im holding my little dog.
Take care,
Carol x

maybeoneday
14-07-09, 22:29
hi carol
thanks for your replies, you can sewnd me messages on here i think cant you? still learnig.

thanks for your help today.
xx:yesyes:

sb001f8994
15-07-09, 22:23
Hi Denise,
I tried messaging you but you dont accept emails or pm's but you can message me if you like.
Carol x

maybeoneday
15-07-09, 23:15
hi carol

ill try and change it, if i can work it out lol.