View Full Version : Your Advice Needed!!!

WhiteSands
04-06-05, 16:53
Hey, I have a major problem.....I have to go to the dentist so that he can do a procedure on my gums however I am terrified. I suffer from anxiety disorder and panic disorder and I don't know wht to do. I want to know how you guys with such a disorder handle going to the dentist? Does your dentist sedate you? If so, how? or do you currently take anxiety meds so that you don't need further sedation from your dentist? What do you advise me to take for the sedation or wht shuld be done? I aksed my doctor to prescribe something and I was told that is the denstist's job to precsribe something for that...I spoke to my therapist and he said I should talk to my doctor and I spoke to the dentist and he said he doesnt precsribe that sortta stuff and so i should talk to my doctor. I wanna know how you guys handle it or wht you do before going to the dentist or wht meds you take before you go. Any ideas? Thanks.

tracyp584
04-06-05, 17:19
Hey WhiteSands,

My dentists run a sedation clinic. So whenever i need to go, i can just book into that?

tracy x x

seh1980
04-06-05, 17:33
I hate the dentist but I don't take anything before I go except rescue remedy. That helps calm me down..:D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Meg
04-06-05, 17:41
The dentist (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3058)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
04-06-05, 19:43
Try this website too ...

http://www.dentalfearcentral.com/

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Piglet
04-06-05, 20:39
I don't take anything before I go but I've found that making my dentist aware that I'm terrified has made him really understanding with me which took away most of the scarey feelings.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

stimpy
05-06-05, 01:21
I was scared to death of the dentist !
I was knocked unconcious before I was even put in a chair.
Until I was expecting my first child ....

I stuck out my arm and said okay lay it on me.
The dentist said "no sedation - you are expecting. I can give you a needle in the gum to numb the pain."
From that day to this I have been awake every visit. [^]

I would have a word with your doctor and tell him about the dentist visit and see if he can give you emergency valium so that you can get through your appointment.
Remember to tell your dentist that you are a panic sufferer, so they will take good care of you. ;)

Good luck

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

henri
06-06-05, 15:18
hi there,
i avoid the dentist like the plague, but if i had to go i think i'd take some valium (with the dentist's consent), just to see me through it.
henri

sal
07-06-05, 00:25
Welcome and you have had some good replies, hope it has helped you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.