PDA

View Full Version : feeling let down by the system

tigger1964
16-10-08, 07:09
Hi,

I have been a member of this site for a few months and the support and understanding has been great. Yesterday wasnt a great day for me and it just got progressively worse as the day went on. I phoned my Doctors surgery to chase up my CBT appointment, the receptionist was pleasant and said she would phone me back. The practise manager ended up phoning me back, saying that my GP would like me to call in on friday to discuss the letter that the Local mental Health Unit had sent back? explaining to her that i knew nothing about the letter and that i was unable to go and see GP friday morning because i cant get out on my own at the moment. I asked what the letter said and she informed the mental health unit wanted me to continue on my anti depressants? not on any was my reply she seemed a bit miffed and said she was going to talk to the doctor so off she went then my gp rang me. Eventually Gp rang me back and said basically i had been turned down for CBT because she had also prescribed me Diazepam, mmm this wld be the same diazepam thats still in my medicine cabinet untouched, informed doc of this and said she wasnt best pleased that it had been bounced back to her. I have since spoken to other members who have diazepam or use it and get CBT. I think i might be in a post code lottery or something! I also want to know how ill you have to be before you get the medical attention you need, or is it a case of fill us up with pills shut the door and forget about us. I feel really let down by the system, this forthcomming appointment was my lifeline it was keeping sane and holding me together, because i thot it would help me get better. Turns out the so called caring profession just made me feel more worthless than i already felt. Thanks for reading my latest rant. take care.

titchjd
16-10-08, 07:57
Hiya hun ..sorry 2 here you having bad time with docs....
They prescribed me Diazepam and Im also having CBT ...However I will say I had 2 go to the surgery they wouldnt do anything over the phone....I had rang NHS direct as I was having such a terrible day and they still told me 2 go 2 surgery .....like you I wasnt able to leave house without panic .

I had 2 push myself 2 go with someone ..and was seen by a councillor who got me the CBT .

Dont give up trying keep ringing and if you can push yourself 2go i know its hard then try and go .

Best wishes x

lilly-lou
16-10-08, 09:21
I too have felt let down by my local MHT and I haven't seen a gp for over four years after I was told that there was nothing that they could do to help me, I basically felt like a complete failure and a no hope case. I like you couldn't get to the surgery, at the time I couldn't even get to my garden gate but I decided to stick two fingers up at the medical profession, read a lot of books on anxiety and also keep to hand my DR Claire Weekes book and go it alone without meds, I am so much better than I was.

Try to get a friend or family member to go to the G.P. with you and if it helps sit outside until it is time for your name to be called in and write down all the things that you need to discuss so you don't forget them.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but you are not alone in feeling like the system has failed you.

Good Luck

lilly-lou

alihud
16-10-08, 09:40
Tigger not sure if you can afford it but i have just started some online counselling as i work 6 days a week on my own and find it hard to get to appointments.I talk to the counsellor on skype but you can also do it through msn.It costs £20 a session for an hour and i was pretty pleased with my first session.I know your down for cognitive therapy but this counsellor gets you to see things in different ways too.Its just a suggestion.Keep going on,i know its hard but you must :)
Ali xxx

Veronica H
16-10-08, 09:43
hi Sharon
I have diazipam for emergency use and was offered CBT, but I am on a long waiting list. There is an online CBT course on a website called 'Living life to the full'. It is free. Sorry not technical enough to work out how to link it here. Another member of NMP recommended it. I have just started it myself and it is very easy to follow.
Sorry you have been treated in this way. Take care.

Veronica