PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Else Caught in the Valium Trap

BNCfan
16-10-08, 08:33
I'm now in my 60s and have been battling with anxiety/phobia problems since I was a kid. In my teens I was put on Valium and due to mis-use by doctors, who at that time claimed not to know how addictive it is, became chronically addicted to it. In those days when I was having a really bad panic episode they would tell my mother to give me 10mgs every hour until I went to sleep and by the early '80s I was literally taking 10mg tabs like sweets - easily 200mgs a day. I was also often given intravenous Valium on numerous occasions. Although I successfully managed to get off it completely in the mid 80s - it took me 3 of the worst years I've ever known - and stayed drug free for a few years, I had to go back on it seven years ago after a very traumatic episode. Trouble is I don't tolerate most of the newer kinds of medication and my GP admits I'm "stuck in the Valium trap". I'd been getting by on 10 mgs at bedtime for the last seven years, only occasionally taking extra during the day if I was feeling really bad - maybe about twice a month, but recently my anxiety symptoms have gone through the roof and I'm having to take 30mgs of Valium in one dose to deal with the hours of free-floating anxiety. Trouble is doctors in the UK will only prescribe tiny amounts of it these days and I'm terrifed they are going to stop giving it to me. Anyone else affected by this? Sorry for the long-winded post.

LeeBee
16-10-08, 10:17
Hi BNC - I'm not taking valium, but just wanted to voice my support :). You've been on it for such a long time now, any sensible doctor wouldn't just stop prescribing it to you. They might want to reduce your dosage, but hopefully in a controlled way, over a long period of time, and with the application of other methods of support for your anxiety. But I'd say they wouldn't just stop it in the case of a very long-term user like yourself.

Hope that helps a wee bit. Hopefully there are other diazepam users out there who can give you more advice.

dianes
16-10-08, 13:49
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: to you B,

I really feel for you being caught in the valium (diazepam) trap. I know just how bad it is to be firstly addicted to it (I was for 18 yrs and was taking 55mg daily towards the end) and secondly, how bad the side effects are when you wean off it (took me just over 2 1/2 yrs).

As you have said, some GP's seem to realise now just how addictive this drug is and that it should be only given for short term use. However, you GP should also understand about your addiction and would know not to stop your meds without you having to go through the gradual weaning off. Don't give up hope of a cure to your anxiety/panic etc. even after all this time.

I would recommend this book to you: Freedom from Fear, Overcoming Anxiety, Phobias and Panic by Howard Liebgold, M.D. I found it in my local library a month ago and have since purchased it through Amazon. Briefly, it is about a top doctor who suffered with anxiety/panic etc for over 30yrs, and then found a cure and has since dedicated his to life to helping anxiety sufferers overcome thier anxiety and their disorders and phobias.

:hugs: :hugs: to you.

Diane
'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

sheena
16-10-08, 13:51
My mum uses to take valium in the 60's - Mother's little helper.

I was prescribed it as I kept taking my son to the doctor's because he had chronic stomach pains as a baby.ie used to cry and pull his little legs up.
I remember so well that when the doctor gave me a script I though oh good they are listening to me and have given me something for my son. I handed the script in and back came the valium. Over protective mum - let's keep her quiet and away from the surgery.

I was next given them well I was an inpatient. Your body gets tolerant to them and I used to take 40mg just to get me to work. I can't remember what I took after that.

When I came to live in the town in which I still live the doctor decided that lorazepam (ativan) was better than the valium so off I went on a long addiction to them. (just picked the script up every month.

Like you I did come off them. It took me about 3 years as first I had to get down to the amount I was prescribed and not the amount I was taking.

I managed to stay off them for 15 years but got them prescribed again when I was bad recently. Luckily I don't abuse them now and just take what I am prescribed.

Don't worry about your doctor taking you straight away off them. If he does go to see him and tell him that you want a staged method of cutting down first.

All the best

Sheena

Bill
17-10-08, 03:23
My mother-in-law has taken valium for so many years that her doctor won't even suggest she tries to stop because it would creates more problems than solve so I doubt very much that your doctor would stop prescribing them because they will know how important they are to you.

I also took valium for 3 years. I wasn't warned about their addictive qualities. I only found out when I said I wanted to come off them which I did after 6 months. Since then I've learnt to cope without the need of medication but at the end of the day whether we take meds or not, all that really matters is leading a "normal" life by whatever means makes us feel happy.:)