PDA

View Full Version : FIGHT HA!

Andyroo
16-10-08, 10:55
Ive always been depressed then turned i Turned 21 and started having panic attacks. i have learned how to control them. what helped me was not trying to control them, just letting them do there worst. i realised they could not hurt me and they started to go away. Now HA has shown me its ugly face and ive been going along with it.. worrying and going to the doctor.. im just curious what can one do to help get control over HA? theres all kinds of suggestions for having panic attacks but i dont know anything about HA. im tired of always thinking there is somthing wrong with me.. i want to take action like i did with my panic attacks but i dont know where to start:shrug: .. or is the only thing to do is go to the doctors everytime i think somthing is wrong with me? and worry about it untill he tells me im okay? if there is anyone out there who has over come HA or maybe you have tips on it please post it here. ive fought my panic attacks but i dont know how to fight my HA .. is this somthing that just runs its course? :wacko:

swiffer61
16-10-08, 11:22
I'm seriously in the same boat with you. It's extremely frustrating. I did help my panic attacks quite well the past year until very recently when I started getting the HA again. I guess it upsets me most because I'm only in my 20s and shouldn't be worrying about all of this stuff. My family and friends are always telling me to get hobbies and make myself busy...and I do...but it doesn't always help. I have heard that cognitive behavior therapy can help but I myself haven't tried it although I'd really like to. I've been wanting to see a therapist for awhile now just to talk about things that upset me (have had a really stressful last 3 years), but my insurance considers psychotherapy to be "own risk" and I can't afford it.

Anyway, I'm blabbering! I wish I knew how to help you but I guess it's the blind leading the blind on this one. All I can do is offer my most sincere support. Sometimes if I distract myself with talking it can do wonders on my HA. :)

Andyroo
16-10-08, 11:32
I'm seriously in the same boat with you. It's extremely frustrating. I did help my panic attacks quite well the past year until very recently when I started getting the HA again. I guess it upsets me most because I'm only in my 20s and shouldn't be worrying about all of this stuff. My family and friends are always telling me to get hobbies and make myself busy...and I do...but it doesn't always help. I have heard that cognitive behavior therapy can help but I myself haven't tried it although I'd really like to. I've been wanting to see a therapist for awhile now just to talk about things that upset me (have had a really stressful last 3 years), but my insurance considers psychotherapy to be "own risk" and I can't afford it.

Anyway, I'm blabbering! I wish I knew how to help you but I guess it's the blind leading the blind on this one. All I can do is offer my most sincere support. Sometimes if I distract myself with talking it can do wonders on my HA. :)

yeah it is very frustrating isnt it? i really want to beat it.. its irritating me lol there has to be somth ng... i mean normaly if someone is concerned its normal to get it checked out by a Dr. but OMG id go to the doctor like 4 times a week if it didnt cost me so much.. im out of control!:roflmao: im only 23.. i want to live my life.. enjoy being myself but im constantly a nerous wreck because of HA. :scared15: <<<<< thats what i look like in real life lmao

swiffer61
16-10-08, 11:58
I also really have to stop myself from calling the doctor several times a week. When I used to live in America it was much easier to call my doctor there, mostly because she also served as a bit of a therapist for me. But here in the Netherlands it's much more difficult, not to mention the language barrier canget in the way. It's truly horrific. Unfortunately, instead of calling the doctor (it doesn't really cost me, only a set amount once a year, but I still refuse to go because I don't want him to think I'm a freak), I'm usually harrassing my fiance for reassurance. I feel so bad for him, he tries to be as helpful as possible, but I know it's draining on him too. He tells me he just wishes I could be myself again and it makes me sad.

We deserve to live our lives! In fact, I'm only 22 myself. And when I feel like I've made it through the worst of it, it just comes back. I'm thinking mine is a situational thing though, because my life has been rather unstable the past couple of years, and the stress just builds up. :blink:

Andyroo
16-10-08, 12:13
I also really have to stop myself from calling the doctor several times a week. When I used to live in America it was much easier to call my doctor there, mostly because she also served as a bit of a therapist for me. But here in the Netherlands it's much more difficult, not to mention the language barrier canget in the way. It's truly horrific. Unfortunately, instead of calling the doctor (it doesn't really cost me, only a set amount once a year, but I still refuse to go because I don't want him to think I'm a freak), I'm usually harrassing my fiance for reassurance. I feel so bad for him, he tries to be as helpful as possible, but I know it's draining on him too. He tells me he just wishes I could be myself again and it makes me sad.

We deserve to live our lives! In fact, I'm only 22 myself. And when I feel like I've made it through the worst of it, it just comes back. I'm thinking mine is a situational thing though, because my life has been rather unstable the past couple of years, and the stress just builds up. :blink:

once again i understand where you are coming from:roflmao: i am from america living in Australia.. ive lived here almost 2 years now. my gp is very costly :wacko: so that makes it harder for me to see a doctor.. im still waiting on my visa to be completed .. big jumps for acouple of people with anxiety issues :roflmao:

swiffer61
16-10-08, 12:21
It may be very possible that both of our anxiety issues have surfaced so dramatically due to such a big move. ;) I've also lived here in the NL for almost 2 years. lol!

Andyroo
16-10-08, 12:26
It may be very possible that both of our anxiety issues have surfaced so dramatically due to such a big move. ;) I've also lived here in the NL for almost 2 years. lol!

lol well it can be very stressfull leaving some where you have grown up to umm.. well go on the otherside of the world:roflmao: .. i moved here to be closer to my son .. i didnt wanna be the dad working over sea's that he never gets to see :scared15: (married a aussie):yesyes:

sheena
16-10-08, 12:33
Hi

Well there is something good to say about the good ole National Health Service. We don'thve to pay to see the doctor and get hospital treatment.

I have heard of people dying in Americal because they could not afford treatment and people with depression unable to afford their prescriptions. Here ifyou are out of work you do not have to pay for your scripts.

I don't consider my self to have HA okay maybe a bit. Even though I have stopped smoking for 3 years I do worry still about getting lung cancer. Over the last month I have had a pain in my lung when I breath and have rushed to the doctors who just says it is a sore muscle.

But it must be horrible to be forever thinking there is something wrong with your body.

Sheena

RosieXXX
16-10-08, 12:43
Hello,

I have suffered from health anxiety for many years, it still lurks in the background and sometimes gets the better of me, but i have learned a few things which have helped me. Firstly, i believe checking and seeking reassurance are quite addictive and actually feeds the anxiety. I think most of us know the scenario, we get anxious, seek reassurance, feel a little relief, and then the whole things starts over again. The relief we gain from reassurance, even if it is only temporary, is like a fix and we then go on to worry again in order to get that fix.

It is extremely difficult to break the checking, reassurance cycle, but if you can view it as an addiction, and be really firm with yourself; perhaps limit it to only three times a day, and if you have an understanding partner, perhaps get them to look for you, but only a limited number of times, slowly the anxiety subsides. I know how difficult it is to do this, and I have felt like climbing the walls when i have made myself resist the urge to check, but gradually the cycle weakens and the anxiety level drops.

It is also wise to avoid putting yourself in a vulnerable position. I tend not to tune into tv health programmes or listen to things which are liable to cause me too much upset. I know this is avoidance behaviour, and not always recommended, but i know i have a weakness and feel it is better not to provoke a bad reaction.

This is a terrible affliction, and I don't think there are any easy answers; I feel deeply sorry for anyone who suffers - it takes our enjoyment of life away. This site is extremely helpful and I am sure it helps us to know there are others who understand how we feel which in many ways is a great comfort.

swiffer61
16-10-08, 12:56
Your move to Australia was well worth it then :)

Mine has been worth it too,of course! I wouldn't leave for anybody!

swiffer61
16-10-08, 12:57
Congrats on quitting smoking! I wish my mother-in-law would...she just got clean from lung cancer not too long ago. Lucky she has a good doctor.

swiffer61
16-10-08, 13:00
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I haven't really thought of it that way before, but I think you're right about the reassurance fix. I'm going to try that method of only checking 3 times a day. :)

Hello,

I have suffered from health anxiety for many years, it still lurks in the background and sometimes gets the better of me, but i have learned a few things which have helped me. Firstly, i believe checking and seeking reassurance are quite addictive and actually feeds the anxiety. I think most of us know the senario, we get anxious, seek reassurance, feel a little relief, and then the whole things starts over again. The relief we gain from reassurance, even if it is only temporary, is like a fix and we then go on to worry again in order to get that fix.

It is extremely difficult to break the checking, reassurance cycle, but if you can view it as an addiction, and be really firm with yourself; perhaps limit it to only three times a day, and if you have an understanding partner, perhaps get them to look for you, but only a limited number of times, slowly the anxiety subsides. I know how difficult it is to do this, and I have felt like climbing the walls when i have made myself resist the urge to check, but gradually the cycle weakens and the anxiety level drops.

It is also wise to avoid putting yourself in a vulnerable position. I tend not to tune into tv health programmes or listen to things which are liable to cause me too much upset. I know this is avoidance behaviour, and not always recommended, but i know i have a weakness and feel it is better not to provoke a bad reaction.

This is a terrible affliction, and I don't think there are any easy answers; I feel deeply sorry for anyone who suffers - it takes our enjoyment of life away. This site is extremely helpful and I am sure it helps us to know there are others who understand how we feel which in many ways is a great comfort.

Andyroo
16-10-08, 13:06
Hi

Well there is something good to say about the good ole National Health Service. We don'thve to pay to see the doctor and get hospital treatment.

I have heard of people dying in Americal because they could not afford treatment and people with depression unable to afford their prescriptions. Here ifyou are out of work you do not have to pay for your scripts.

I don't consider my self to have HA okay maybe a bit. Even though I have stopped smoking for 3 years I do worry still about getting lung cancer. Over the last month I have had a pain in my lung when I breath and have rushed to the doctors who just says it is a sore muscle.

But it must be horrible to be forever thinking there is something wrong with your body.

Sheena

its only costly for me because in im in australia
and getting my visa sorted out pretty soon i should be able to see my gp for cheap :D in america i had a good job and insurance so it was cheap for me there as well :blush:

Andyroo
16-10-08, 13:24
Hello,

I have suffered from health anxiety for many years, it still lurks in the background and sometimes gets the better of me, but i have learned a few things which have helped me. Firstly, i believe checking and seeking reassurance are quite addictive and actually feeds the anxiety. I think most of us know the senario, we get anxious, seek reassurance, feel a little relief, and then the whole things starts over again. The relief we gain from reassurance, even if it is only temporary, is like a fix and we then go on to worry again in order to get that fix.

thanks for the info rosie please if anyone else has a opinion on HA do share.. :flowers:

Andyroo
16-10-08, 13:31
i wish there was somthing.. i feel i used to be so brave.. now i feel im always going to need reasurance just to live my life, i just want to not be afraide of my health.. do we have HA because we fear death more then others? i wish there was a way for me to get to the core of this and salv it. i dont want to live like this:lac:

Andyroo
17-10-08, 00:31
Ive always been depressed then turned i Turned 21 and started having panic attacks. i have learned how to control them. what helped me was not trying to control them, just letting them do there worst. i realised they could not hurt me and they started to go away. Now HA has shown me its ugly face and ive been going along with it.. worrying and going to the doctor.. im just curious what can one do to help get control over HA? theres all kinds of suggestions for having panic attacks but i dont know anything about HA. im tired of always thinking there is somthing wrong with me.. i want to take action like i did with my panic attacks but i dont know where to start:shrug: .. or is the only thing to do is go to the doctors everytime i think somthing is wrong with me? and worry about it untill he tells me im okay? if there is anyone out there who has over come HA or maybe you have tips on it please post it here. ive fought my panic attacks but i dont know how to fight my HA .. is this somthing that just runs its course? :wacko:

Anyone? or are we Stuck with HA for ever:roflmao:

joyce1980
17-10-08, 09:20
meds, what do you have to lose trying them, they are a god send for me

Please, you dont have to live this way, you may need to try a few until you find that one that works for you but what do you have to loose

Andyroo
17-10-08, 09:22
on meds not working

meds, what do you have to lose trying them, they are a god send for me

Please, you dont have to live this way, you may need to try a few until you find that one that works for you but what do you have to loose

joyce1980
17-10-08, 09:23
How long have you been taking them

Andyroo
17-10-08, 09:25
Panic attacks seem to have tips that work for different people to gain control over them, but with HA not so many tips but to seek confort and meds im just curious if there is somthing out there that has helped somone with there HA. i learn new things everyday maybe theres somthing about HA i dont know about. youknow what i mean?

joyce1980
17-10-08, 09:30
Have a look at the main page for ideas.

But you know you need to take your meds for 4 weeks before they work ( if they are an ssri) and like i said : " you really want help? than you will have to try a few before you get better, also they mostly take 4 weeks to work.

You can try eating lots of bread, pasta, fish oil tablets (every day), bannanas(1 a day) and 6 glasses of water you will also need to do 30 min of exercise a day too.( these foods help you body make serotonin, a chemical your brain needs to function properly) and exercise released endophines to make you feel good.

Good luck and make sure you stick to a routine as it wont work if you slack off

Andyroo
17-10-08, 10:00
Have a look at the main page for ideas.

But you know you need to take your meds for 4 weeks before they work ( if they are an ssri) and like i said : " you really want help? than you will have to try a few before you get better, also they mostly take 4 weeks to work.

You can try eating lots of bread, pasta, fish oil tablets (every day), bannanas(1 a day) and 6 glasses of water you will also need to do 30 min of exercise a day too.( these foods help you body make serotonin, a chemical your brain needs to function properly) and exercise released endophines to make you feel good.

Good luck and make sure you stick to a routine as it wont work if you slack off

Thanks for your advice Joyce:flowers:

LeeBee
17-10-08, 10:19
Hey Malv honey, keep on with your current attitude, and you're going to be fine. You sound so much better than you did a week or two ago... I know you still suffer from HA and other anxiety (hey me too) but - as much as you can know someone from their forum posts - you sound like an exuberant, funny guy who is at heart a positive person. I'm sure you're going to find a way of managing with this aspect of your personality and getting on with your life. I find that having other things to occupy my mind helps me to stop obsessing over symptoms so much. I'd say keep yourself busy if you can with satisfying work, fun and relationships, and look after yourself - lots of nutritious food, exercise, and get enough rest.

You recognise that you have anxiety, and that's half the battle. Just remember, when you have bad times, how well you're doing now. You can think "if I've done it before, I can do it again!" :hugs:

Andyroo
17-10-08, 10:24
Wow leebee:hugs: thank you :blush: you always seem to know what to say :flowers: