PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty swallowing past week

countrygirl
16-10-08, 18:01
Started with choking for no reason about 3 times a day - like you swallowed wrong way. Then I noticed that when I tried to swallow bit of a sandwich it got stuck at back of throat and choked me and needed a mouthrul of water to get it down. If I didn't I had to swallow loads and could feel it sore quite a bit down. I also got a bit of a runny nose and tickly cough and it irritates to talk and my throat feels very dry all the time. I have alot fo catarrh going down back of nose into throat all the time. Nothing major cold/cough wise but I've got something.

My husband says my throat is probably inflamed from whatever virus is gving me the rest but I am in a blind panic thinking throat/oesophagus tumour.

I am wanting to rush to my Dr tomorrow yet again as the food sticking is just getting worse and worse. I am okay with things like fuit and salad stuff but even drinks feel like they are drying out my throat and making me want to cough.

What do you all think please.

amandaj
16-10-08, 18:10
hi i have this is does goes but it feels awful the time , mine only went again a cpl of days ago , i said to my husband then everything i eat is stuck but im assured its anxiety ,weird symptom i know but always best to get checked out by dr to put your mind at rest

take care
amanda

countrygirl
16-10-08, 18:37
Even more to panic about - today every mouthful hurts all the way down as well!! Even drinks that are cool feel as if they are burning their way down.

I really don't want to go back to Dr yet again as I have been there nearly every week for months but so worried. Will see how I am tomorrow at breakfast. I can understand that anxiety will tighten the throat muscles up but can't see how it would make it hurt all the way down when I swallow.

jojo2316
17-10-08, 10:01
Hi, I have exactly the same problem as you from time to time. I think it is caused by anxiety...... although, like you, I worry about throat cancer! I find that if I am tense in my throat (i.e if I am obsessing about my throat) I need to swallow dry things like bread at least four times to get them down, otherwise they just stick. It doesn't happen if I am relaxed (or more likely if I am focusing on, and obsessing about, a different bodily sensation! lol). So I think it is due to tight/dry throat. It sort of stands to reason really. If you don't have much saliva and your throat is constricted of course dry stuff is going to stick. That would explain the pain too.
Hope it feels better soon. You should take comfort in the fact that throat cancer is rare, but nearly everyone with anxiety suffers from some sort of throat issue.
xx

Sallysdream
19-10-08, 00:44
have you been to the doctors? I get a tight neck feeling every day too and tickly coughs. Had given up smoking 5months ago and just had a lung cancer concern.

cats
19-10-08, 03:19
I woke up tonight with a really tight feeling in my throat. I came to coughing and felt my throat was really tight. But why would I be feeling anxious when I'm asleep? I really felt like something was wrong, it's still tight now, the outside of my neck, not my throat. I've managed to have a drink and take a couple of valium and hope that works. When I lie down I feel I can't breath and my throat is constricting.

It's horrible.

menomum
20-10-08, 12:04
Hi Everyone, haven't been on here for a while coz feeling so much better. But guess what the throat thing is back. The tightness and choking feeling and not being able to eat properly started way back in 2000 and I've had it at various times since. It goes away eventually, but I'm just so scared I always think its something serious, despite camera down throat twice. Haven't eaten anything so far today, to frightened. Please someone reasure me.

LeeBee
20-10-08, 12:20
My granny had this. I can remember she used to have a thing about eating around other people because she was always worried she would choke, and had a constant feeling of something being stuck in her throat. They never could find anything wrong with her throat (she lived to a ripe old age and definitely didn't die of anything throat-related).

Try to be reassured by your physical exams - the camera would have picked up any obstructions in your thoat. The fact that it does go away sometimes suggests that there isn't anything growing in your throat because if there were it would not go away. Has you doctor suggested a diagnosis?

Redline
05-01-10, 07:14
i just reading this forums
and saw this post
i notced that quite a few of you's was having issues with you throat this cloud lead to quite a few things

the best way to get it sorted is ask your GP to look down your throat for white spots or boils spots

b4 you go to your doctors every house hold with kids in it now adays aways has a themonitor laying about best thing to check is your body temp 37c is norm temp if your body temp is over 38c and have a really sore throat get you partner to take a look down your throat with a very bright light to see if your throat is really red or redish not pinkish if so this usely is a virus in the throat witch you cloud of been eating or drinking of an drity object or the washing up wasnt cleaned right or the dishwasher or dish liquard is still on the plate or cups ect...
this usely leads to Tonsillitis

Tonsillitis is most commonly caused by a viral infection, but it can also be caused by bacteria.
The viruses that cause tonsillitis are often the ones that frequently affect the respiratory (breathing) system. They include the flu (influenza) virus, the parainfluenza virus (which causes laryngitis and croup), as well as the adenovirus, the enterovirus, and the rhinovirus.
In rare cases, tonsillitis can develop as a result of the Epstein-Barr virus which is the virus that causes glandular fever. If this is the case, it is likely that you will feel quite ill. You may have swollen lymph nodes (glands) throughout your body and an enlarged spleen.
Bacterial tonsillitis may be caused by a number of different bacteria, but the most common ones are group A streptococcus bacteria. In the past, serious bacterial infections, such as diphtheria and scarlet fever have caused tonsillitis, but this is now very rare due to improved immunisation and treatment.

if you dont think its this and just a sore throat due to a common cold comming or if your think you might have the tamiflu go to you doctors right away.
best place to get your self check online http://www.nhs.uk/Pages/HomePage.aspx

just remember take 1 day at a time Crew Slow and crew 10 times before sollowing and you be O.K =D trust me there nuthink to fear

Sgt Norris
(Royal Guard Medics)

P.S sorry for typo's :P