PDA

View Full Version : dentist

robertz
17-10-08, 02:38
my first dentist appointment in 12 years is tmw, 1st i have a tooth in pretty bad shape. im scared it could give me a brain infection (sounds stupid i know).
2nd is that im scared of the teeth cleaning also because MVP or mitro valve prolaps (not sure if i spelled it right) runs in my family and i read on google (bad idea i know) that people who get teeth cleaning with MVP can have bacteria travel through the blood because of the teeth cleaning and that can give you heart infections! i guess they give you antibiotics before the cleaning if you have MVP but i read that can make bacteria in your mouth become resistant to antibiotics! also i don't know if i have MVP but it runs in my family so should i put this off? im really scared.:unsure: thanks for reading this because i know its long. has anyone dealt with a situation like this that could give me some advice or just some reassurance that everything will be ok.

thanks everyone

Andyroo
17-10-08, 02:52
first i have to say google is full of sh**:roflmao: dont even bothering looking stuff up on google.. the number of times ive done it and its been somthing tottaly different is one crazy number:scared15: .. forget google forget everything you read on it.. the dentist knows what he is doing if you are worried about somthing that runs in your family talk to your dentist about it and im sure he will tell you more about it.. google misses alott of details ive noticed.. im sure this is nothing you have to worry about.. and im sure you wont get a brain infection... my teeth were so messed up... my whole mouth was messed up.. if i didnt get a brain infection i doubt you will .. trust me in not exagerating:wacko:

Karen
17-10-08, 02:56
Hi Robert

I realise it is very worrying in the build up to an appointment you dread. I was the same about the dentist - different reasons - but I talked to him about all my concerns first and he very gentle and didn't do anything I wasm't happy with.

So I would suggest you talk to him first about your concerns and that might put your mind at ease when you know the facts. I found it was the best thing I could do to explain thst I have dental phobia whereas in the past I've kept quiet and probably suffered more as the dentist didn't know I was anxious.

My dentist recommended I have the 3 extractions done under sedation as I am relieved about that.

Good luck and I hope it goes well.

Karen

robertz
17-10-08, 02:56
thanks so much Malv. i really hate that darn google! lol

Karen
17-10-08, 03:00
i really hate that darn google! lol

Yes, stop Googling :winks: It never helps. Good luck.

Karen

robertz
17-10-08, 03:01
thank you Karen, ill talk to the dentist tmw about my fears. thanks for the good advice!

swiffer61
17-10-08, 11:57
I think as long as you're really open with your dentist, they will have no problem giving you any information you require to help you relax. :)

I just went to the dentist today (I also haven't been for a long time), and now I'm panicking because the dentist said I'm not showing any signs of my Bruxism even though my doctor has diagnosed me with TMJ.

I'm tempted to google, but I know that no good will come of it! When my HA flares up, google is my sworn enemy. :mad:

Anyway, good luck at the dentist! I'm sure everything will be fine !