PDA

View Full Version : Can it still be TMJ?

swiffer61
17-10-08, 11:48
I went to the dentist this morning. Anyway, the reason I went to the dentist in the first place was because my doctor wants me to get a mouthguard because he thinks I have TMJ due to Bruxism (only clenching, no grinding).

I've had physio therapy for this last year and it went away for awhile, but since maybe June, I'm pretty sure I've been clenching my teeth again. I think I do it every night because I wake up and my jaw is stiff and aching. Then the headaches and head pains start shooting, burning, aching, and stabbing throughout my entire head. I also get tender spots on my scalp.

Ok ANYWAY, while I was there, the dentist took xrays of my teeth and checked them thoroughly for damage, but she said there aren't really any signs of wear and tear from the Bruxism. She asked me who diagnosed me, I told her my doctor, and she said that we'll try a mouthguard but she's not even sure if I have a problem (even though I have all of the symptoms of TMJ, including the clicking and popping jaw).

I guess my question is, have any of you had this before? Now that I've gone to the dentist I'm beginning to have all sorts of doubts about the TMJ because she said she didn't see anything wrong with my teeth. She did press on the muscles in the sides of my mouth though, and that hurt a great deal and I told her so, but I don't know what she made of it.

But yeah...with these doubts I'm getting now, of course there comes more anxiety...I mean, if not TMJ, what on earth is my problem?! :scared15:

Thanks for reading. Sorry for the babble...I do that when I'm anxious.

Sallysdream
19-10-08, 00:33
I am sure it is..sounds like it to me. I am having a mouthguard since 4 weeks now and I bite so much on them when i sleep that I have put dents in them. I think that this is an obvious sign. Try yours out too, at least you can try. Apparently it can take 3 months to "work" ....

nickieb
19-10-08, 16:12
Hi swiffer

God we have identical symptoms from the teeth clenching not grinding. I do it all the time & get the head pains, sore temples, burning scalp, tender spots. I am trying so hard not to & will book my dental appointment very soon to get it checked out. Sounds identical to TMJ & just because you don't have wear & tear on your teeth doesn't mean u don't have it.

Lissy43
19-10-08, 21:34
My GP thinks ive TMJ, I had shooting pains in head, tension in jaw, popping and blocked ear feeling, so strange.

Gabby
20-10-08, 08:32
I get the same symtpoms but I grind and clench and apparently its worse cos my jaw doesnt fit together properly so the muscles get more strained?? - dont really understand but its what my dentist told me.

Anyway I just wanted to say that my dentist also said that whether a mouthguard works or not depends a lot on the skill of the person who makes it for you so if it doesnt work first time, might be worth trying somewhere different before giving up.

hope you get it sorted out

G

swiffer61
20-10-08, 09:01
Thank you everyone for your answers! I feel much better about the TMJ thing now. Will be getting a mouthguard on Friday, so hopefully it'll work out!