PDA

View Full Version : Train journey...

orangeblossom
17-10-08, 12:14
Hi,

I haven't posted in quite some time - I've been busy trying to get used to getting out and about from the flat and also gradually using the tube/bus a bit more.

I've got a really high hurdle to cross on Saturday though and I'd really appreciate any help/advice...

I'm going on the train, by myself, to visit my Mum and to sort out a few wedding preparation things at the same time. I'm looking forward to doing that, but the train bit is genuinely terrifying me. I couldn't sleep at all last night and it is all that is going through my mind.

My fiance will walk to the train station with me and wait until I am on the train - and I also got a first-class ticket because I bought it really early for £15(!) so hopefully that carriage will not be nearly as busy as the regular ones. But still... being stuck on that train for just over an hour is scary. Very, very, very scary and I am not sure how I will cope.

I also have emetaphobia so the thought of any travel illness terrifies me too. My GP has given me motilium and propronolol which ought to help... but any other ways of coping would be appreciated!

It is not as if they can just stop the train and let me off if I get a bit anxious!!!!

What on earth do I do?

Orange xxx

orangeblossom
18-10-08, 00:25
Erm, hi again... doesn't seem as if anyone can/is willing to help ... :-(

I can't sleep at all, sitting here panicking completely and not even sure if I will be able to get on that horrid train tomorrow. I've packed my little bag though as a just in case.

Not sure what else to do! Sitting here panicking doesn't seem all that helpful to be honest!

minihaha
18-10-08, 00:53
hi orangeblossom, i just wanted to pop in to say that i am sure you will manage that train journey tommorow. You are the person that went to your friends wedding recently yeah? and had to cope with some travel anxiety...forgive me if i am wrong. Like you, i suffer horrendous travel anxiety so i can and do relate to how you are feeling. Your fiancee is accompanying you to the train and will be there when you set off and you know that your mum is there at the other end. If things get too much during the journey, sip some water and instead of visualing how far you have to go, visualise how many stations you have passed through - with each deep breath you will have travelled another few miles to your destination. You have a first class ticket so as you say, the carriage should not be too crowded. Have your ipod or mp3 player with you and sing along, even in your head and say to yourself that this is a stress free journey, you dont have to worry about driving or signposts or maps etc - you can sit back and relax. And the sense of achievement when you get off that train, knowing that you faced and conquered another fear will be so great. If things get so bad that you cant cope then dont sit in your seat and freak out, get up and have a little walk, even to the toilet and back - by moving around you are concentrating on something other than your anxiety.

Best wishes for a stressless journey xx

Veronica H
18-10-08, 08:39
:bighug1: You can do this Orange, but the 'what ifs' are bound to be there, as that is the nature of this illness. The anticipation is always the worst part. Can you take an MP3 for distraction, or a good book? I will be thinking of you.

Veronica

titchjd
18-10-08, 09:31
Hiya hun only just saw yr thread .

I hope you are feeling a bit better hun.
when on the train try 2 read or do crossword etc something 2 take yr mind off it ,also just breathe calmly and think about seeing your mom ....have a conversation with yourelf so your thoughts are distracted .

please take it easy and let me know how u get on x

best wishes
Titchjd x:hugs:

orangeblossom
18-10-08, 15:25
Thank you guys... it was exhausting... didn't sleep a wink last night and hadn't felt so anxious in ages. It was worse than going to the wedding believe it or not! Saying that, I sat in a carriage with only a handful of people and I was just near the door with a view outside which helped - felt less enclosed that way - and I had a crossword and sudoku with me... plus various mints/sparkly water etc etc etc (felt like a walking WHSmith!) I jotted down the lots of ten mins it would take for me to get home and slowly crossed them off as I got closer and closer to home...

Well, I'm writing this from home, got here a couple of hours ago and my hands are still shaking!

Veronica H
18-10-08, 16:06
:yesyes: You made it, that is the main thing. I like the idea of crossing the time slots off. Well done.

Veronica

funky chick
18-10-08, 16:18
awww well done orange blossom you did it you should be so proud of yourself for that. sending you love and hugs Gail xxxxxx:bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1:

minihaha
18-10-08, 23:15
Glad to hear you took the trip and you sound like you have managed very well. The next one will be easier - just always make sure you have your crossword and some water with you and making a list of the time slots and crossing them off is a great idea and one i will steal from you - i often have bouts of travel anxiety so i know exactly how hard it is to commit to a journey.
Well done hunni, enjoy the rest of your weekend

K x