PDA

View Full Version : Scared...stressed...can anyone help?emetophobia

lucy030188
17-10-08, 16:53
hey

I suppose i am just looking for reassurance really! For 8 weeks i have felt sick constantly and I am terrified of being sick in public! However, I have a Saturday job that is in a chemist, where I constantly have to stand all day and give people advise! I suppose this scares me more because if i talk, i feel more sick! Obviously....now its Friday again, and im petrified for tomorrow...and I can't stop crying! I don't know what to do, because I know as soon as I wake up in the morning, the sickness will be worse than ever.....gagging and being hysterical before I leave!

Does anyone have any advise....I can't handle it anymore!

Thanks x

belle
17-10-08, 18:34
When you have a fear, your mind grabs onto that fear and makes it a million times worse. I have emetophobia and use to be terrified of puking outside/inside anywhere, but you could put money on that the second i walked out the door, i would feel nauseaous and feel like i would throw up. Now i am not so scared, my mind focuses on the other things i am affraid of.

You know you won't be sick, because you haven't. You need to concentrate on your breathing rather than how sick you feel. Does serving people not take your mind off your sickness?

lucy030188
17-10-08, 18:40
At the start i suppose it makes it worse because i fear puking infront of someone if i have to answer their question...

but i suppose as the day goes on, i feel slightly better!

I dread going....i know its stupid, i feel like a right idiot, but however much i try and think positive, nothing changes.

I suppose if i had to go there everyday it might be different because i'd learn everything would be ok....but because its weekly and i have a break, i feel as bad every single week, even though i know i have survived the week before!

Sorry to babble, i know its so irrational...that is what frustrates me, because i feel so out of control!

i really appreciate your reply, thanku

vti2007
17-10-08, 18:53
Hi Lucy,

I have been ok for a few weeks now but for 6 months I was constantly feeling sick/being sick. It was totally down to anxiety.

I also was terrified of going out in case I was sick in public - to the point I ended up housebound for a couple of months.

I was never actually sick when I was out and once I realised that it made it a bit easier but the thing I found really helped was always carrying a small plastic bag around in my pocket - that way I knew that if I was sick at least it wasn't gonna go everywhere - I could just dash of somewhere out of sight and be sick in my bag!!

Just an idea - hope it helps

:)

maeanna
18-10-08, 12:15
hiya
i have emetophobia and feel the same as u. i feel sick every day especially in the mornings and it usually wears off until i go to bed! i take a bag everywhere with me too and also extra strong mints which i find help! i also drink peppermint tea which helps too.
i try and do breathing slowly counting to 6 in and out concentrating on it and try and distract myself too.
just remember its anxiety causing it not coz ur ill so if u can calm down and relax it should go away!
good luck! take it easy :o)

littlegem4lifex
27-10-08, 00:14
i can relate to you in someways. i don't feel sick all the time but when i do i try to suppress it as long as i can. but if i am ill i start to cry an start shaking. All you have to do is concentrate on other things do things to take your mind off feeling sick.