PDA

View Full Version : The "what if's"

andyd
17-10-08, 23:30
Do we all do the "what if's" .
If you do you will know exactly what I mean .

I find that most of my anxiety is triggered by a bout of " what if's" .

My anxiety is predominantly associated with travelling/flying .

I start "what iffing " when faced with travelling long distances .

What if I can't get on the plane ?

What if I having a panic attack and "lose it" whilst on the plane .

What if I panic while abroad , and can't get back to where I feel safe ?

Then the anxiety-panic attack cycle starts with me , and this starts the worrying and catostrophic thinking which expands into the rest of my life . But having done the deed that makes me so worried , the high of having done it is indescribable . Why can't it last ?

I just ask to see if triggers like this are a starter to the main course of panic attacks .

Maybe if I can control the trigger then the panic gun won't go off !

shaka
17-10-08, 23:55
Have you tried saying so what every time you think WHAT IF
WHAT IF kept me at home for years .
IT was so what that got me back in the land of living.
Give it a try practise practise .
HOW YOU THINK IS HOW YOU FEEL.
SHAKA XXXXXX

orangeblossom
18-10-08, 00:40
That is really interesting Shaka... I'd not thought of that... great thought! I'm going to try that!

polly123
18-10-08, 08:47
Hiya
Well i just wanted to say the WHAT IFS have kept me home for many years, now i can only go away if its within a 100 miles of home and im so aware of the rest of my family and what im doing to them, so please take the advice from shla before you end up like me, cause i wouldnt wish it on my worse enemy
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU POLLY

Veronica H
18-10-08, 08:49
hi Andy,Shaka,Orange
I am sure if we could tackle the 'what ifs' we would be well on the way to recovery. Glad you have had some success with this Shaka. I am going to tell every 'what if' to 'get lost' for a while and see if it works.

Veronica

lilly-lou
18-10-08, 09:16
Oh yes the ' what if ' still holds me back and makes me panic even more, in fact it kept me housebound for over two years. I will defo try the 'so what' and see if that helps.

janeybaby25
18-10-08, 09:17
yeah the what ifs drove me crazy! then I decided that I have no control over what happens & to accept each situation for what it is. Thats why I don't suffer anymore. xxx

Mistie_In_Oz
18-10-08, 09:26
Yes I do the same thing with the "What If's" and then I predict this is going to happen and that's going to happen. It's a viscious circle...