PDA

View Full Version : Am I dreaming?

mlondon
18-10-08, 14:38
Has anyone else had this thought?

I haven't been sleeping well at the moment, I sleep but very lightly and my dreams are quite vivid. Then today I thought to myself what if I am actually dreaming but think I am awake? This has toally scared me...

Help

Insomniac
18-10-08, 17:37
I don't think I've ever felt exactly like that, though I do have very vivid dreams which leave me feeling quite emotional after waking. The dreams are so vivid the feeling they leave behind is strong.

Also you say you are sleeping lightly, which might mean you're not getting enough sleep, and that makes it harder to think rationally. No wonder you're feeling stressed. Try not to fret about this too much, our naturally worrying minds are over active and busy even when we are trying to sleep!

Richd
18-10-08, 19:39
Yep, I have had that, not so much the sleep problems, but very much the 'am i dreaming?' questioning reality thing. I seem to be in a constant state of that at the the moment, but mainly toward the end of the day, as I get tired.

I have it right now, it's a lesser version of depersonalisation in a way, which is what I suffer from a lot, am right now. The best way to combat it is to tell yourself that you're not dreaming, because you're definitely not, this is definitely real, or as far as we as humans are concerned this is reality, and questioning that even further will get you nowhere apart from further anxiety, which there really is no need for.

I'm trying to drill this into myself at the moment as those thoughts are pretty much keeping me in this state. But I feel like I'm getting there, it's just gonna take time.

Sorry for the essay, I know I was going off on a bit of a tangent there, but just know that your fears of 'am i dreaming?' are completely unfounded, and don't let yourself panic about it. If you do panic, ride it out, everything and everyone will still be here when you're done, and that's a promise!

HeatherMc
20-10-08, 14:14
Hiya

I get this too very strange and bizarre, one of them am I going mad things isn't it its pretty scary but I have noticed a lot of people on here know what I am taking about.

Cheers

Heather