PDA

View Full Version : phobia

Lorraine Duncan
05-06-05, 19:52
hi there has anyone out there who suffers from panic attacks with eating / food. Ive suffered this now for 14yrs and would desperatley love to talk to someone who shares this problem. Help!:(

nomorepanic
05-06-05, 20:20
Hi Lorraine and welcome.

There are several post on here about eating problems associated with panic attacks.

Hopefully some of those people will reply to you.

Is it a problem with swallowing the food as well?

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

seh1980
05-06-05, 20:20
hi Lorraine,

Welcome aboard!! :D

I actually have the opposite to you - I feel better whilst eating. However, I'm sure others here will have similar experiences to you..

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

alexis
05-06-05, 21:54
Hi Lorraine, cannot relate to this but I know there are lots of wonderful people here who will, welcome Alexis

Lorraine Duncan
05-06-05, 22:07
Hi the answer to the question about if I have trouble swalling the food the answer is no (if that is any help)

nomorepanic
05-06-05, 22:08
Ok could you tell us what the issue is maybe?

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Lorraine Duncan
06-06-05, 20:18
Hi the panic feeling comes on as I try to eat. the usual symptoms eg churning stomack sweats.Im on antidepressants and beta-blockers ive also had counselling and ive tried hypnotherapy but to no avail. Every day is a struggle and its getting me more and more down. Its effecting my everday life relationship and hiding it from my kids.

Nicola

<div align="right">Originally posted by nomorepanic - 05 June 2005 : 21:08:58</div id="right">
[/quote]

nomorepanic
06-06-05, 20:34
Did something happen previously that you associated eating with that incident?

There must be something that made you associate eating with panic etc.

Nicola

Meg
06-06-05, 21:20
New here and suffering from anticipatory anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3018)
eating & breathing (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3589)
Really frightend of Swallowing, (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3576)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

FailingBetter
06-08-05, 14:41
I'm new to the site, and this thread is quite old, but if you're still a visitor to the forums, your fear is something I share. It's also been a lifelong thing for me, since as a small child.

I read the other thread [Link removed invalid url]
which is a perfect description of what I go through.

To be honest, for a while I actually did think I was the only one in the world with this issue, but with 6 billion people in the world, rational thinking indicates otherwise. However, I haven't met anyone else with this problem, till I came across this today. For a long time I tried to categorise my problem, I always thought it was an eating disorder, (which it is!) but looking it up on the web you only ever come across anorexia or bullemia, which didn't help.

For a while, growing up, I thought I was never going to get better. I was thin as a rake compared to other kids my age. But fortunately, I grew out of it, for a while. It was so liberating, but then in my mid teens it came back, but only in limited situations when going out with friends. With family I had no problems.

Again I came out of it, almost completely when I started going to university. For 3-4 years, I thought I was cured. It was always a niggle in my mind, but it didn't bother me to the extent it does now.

But as with these things, in my final year, something triggered it. It became full blown to the extent I couldn't even eat on my own, let alone with people. I lost 2 kg in 2 weeks, which was a big blow to me as my weight (or lack of) had always been a self esteem issue. It took me a long time to get over it - and it was hard.

I then started work, and again, the fear started to dissapppear. Not completely but I had then sort of learned to manage it. There were bad occasions, but mostly I tried to distract myself.

In recent years though, I have to say the battle for me is becoming an uphill struggle. The problems have started to spill over into other areas, and I have started to become scared of other things which didn't bother me before.

Of course I know it's all in my mind, it's all irrational but it's become a physiological thing, conditioned behaviour. I'm tired of making excuses at the dining table, and often I try to avoid the situations. Sometimes, the anticipation is enough to send me into a panic. The thing that upsets me most is that I know how much of life I'm missing out on, after all, eating is an essential part of life, physically, socially and culturally.

I've had no one to share this with, although on some level I think my family and friends know I have some kind of issue. It makes me sad, because I feel I have offended and distanced myself from them by declining their invitations which often center around meals of course!

It's not easy, but I'm going to try again, to tackle it head on. I tried hypnotherapy 2 years ago, with limited results. I'm going to try CBT. I'm tired of living my life this way, but if I want to take care of my Golf Balls - I have to take care of this.

Meg
06-08-05, 20:17
**I always thought it was an eating disorder (which it is!) **

Umm I'm torn on this one as I can see where you're coming from but as its secondary to something else, namely the tight throat which prevent food passing, its not quite the same thing .

Otherwise I guess severe agoraphobics who live in cupboards would have a walking disorder.

Eventually if it persists you may have malnutrition or a GI issue just as our other friends may have muscle wasting but try not to add to your labels ..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?