PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and panic/medication

sarah
02-12-03, 18:01
Hi Everyone

I need some advice/experiences from you all please.
My husband is obsessionally wanting a baby. Ive wanted one for years but in the last 18 months (since panic started), im too scared to get pregnant.
Ive spoken to my a couple of doctors and my councellor and friends about getting pregnant and being on medication (cipramil 20mg/day) and have had answers varying from - absolutely under no cicumstances get pregnant while on meds, to - loads of people get pregnant on meds with no bad results.
I know that the reason they say not to get pregnant is because there is not enough study evidence yet to confirm or deny possible problems but i just wanted to know if any of you had been pregnant on meds and if it was ok, and generally how did pregnancy make you feel with regards anxiety. (Im worried that feeling a baby moving inside me will send me over the edge).
Please help!!!!

love Sarah
xxx

Meg
02-12-03, 18:51
Dear Sarah,

Use in pregnancy and lactation: Animal studies have not shown any evidence of teratogenic potential and citalopram does not affect reproduction or perinatal conditions. Due to limited human data, CIPRAMIL should only be used in pregnancy if considered necessary and under the close supervision of a physician. Citalopram appears in breast milk in very low concentrations. In nursing mothers, caution is recommended as it is not known whether citalopram excreted in milk may affect the infant.

You could try this link too...

http://www.socialaudit.org.uk

and click on the 2nd blue bar beside discussion sites and then search.

Prozac seems to be the one that is more acceptable whilst pregnant but as always its the 1st trimester everyone gets nervous about.

Hope that gives you some information to think over.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
02-12-03, 20:42
Sarah

Hiya :-) I get hassled by my mum to have a baby cos I am getting on a bit (37) but I have discussed it with Alex and we decided that a) we don't want one yet and b) I couldn't cope with it. My mum thinks that having a baby will cure me - I am not so sure!

I talked to my mate (who has 2) and she gave me an honest opinion and said that she felt I would not cope (knowing me as I am now) and I would find it far too stressful and tiring. I agree and am worried that I would crack up with even less sleep and someone else to care for. Who knows though eh? Perhaps if I had one then I would spend time looking after him/her and forget my worries.

I would not be happy with taking medication whilst pregnant - who knows what it could do - the baby could get dependant etc. I am not a doctor but it sounds dodgy to me.

Can you try to get off the drugs first and then see whether a baby is on the cards?

Nicola

sadie
02-12-03, 21:01
My husband and I would both desperately love to have a family and I guess thats a large part of why I decided to stop taking medication and to deal with this anxiety on my own so I can do this. I feel I need to get a grip of this so I can move on and have a family.

Like you Nicola, im scared that having a child will make me more anxious but on the otherhand I wonder if it would in fact stop me focusing all my attention on myself and therefore help me with my anxiety. Who Knows.. Has this happened to anyone else?

I personally wouldnt feel happy about taking medication whilst being pregnant either. So many things can go wrong in the early stages of pregnancy that I think that it is best not to take any.

You should discuss your thoughts with your own doctor and see what he /she feels is best. I did speak to mine the last time I was there and he advised me that I certainely couldnt be on my medication (Exefor) if I wanted to start a family.

sadie

mags
02-12-03, 22:05
I have suffered from stress and panic attacks and occasional agoraphobia since I was was 15, Im now 36. I have 3 children, two to my first husband and 1 to my second. Two of the three were concieved whilst I was on medication and none of them have had any problems, all normal pregnancies. With my first child I thought I'd panic and wouldn't cope with labour and being a mum. I was wrong.....the most stress free periods of my life were always during pregnancy and during the years before the kids started school. You dont have time to panic and be stressed. Any stress you do have is different from the anxiety normally suffered...its more like normal stress that everyone suffers and you cope better. When you feel at your worst theres nothing like an offspring to force you just to get on with life and try and cope with your feelings..

sadie
02-12-03, 22:13
Hi Mags

Welcolme aboard! To be honest I always thought that what you have experienced during your pregnancies would be the case...to busy to panic and I believe children do have a way of shining some happiness into a persons life.

Keep in touch.. and let us know how youre doing. There is lots of help and support here to help you cope.

sadie

sarah
02-12-03, 23:29
Hi all
Thanks for your replies, i will certainly take your opinions on board. Nic - my mum and sister both think that having a baby will cure me, but im of the opinion that...it will send me round the bend...(even more than now...lol). Most of my mates think i would be a great mum but i still have my doubts...after all you cant have a baby and leave it in a drawer when you get bored can you?
Thanks mags for your encouragement!!
love n kisses
Sarah
xx

Oh and yes nic/sadie, i will try to come off meds b4 i think too seriously about it.

thanks you guys
xx

Meg
02-12-03, 23:35
I've heard that pregnancy hormones can be really good for anxiety but you may be extremely prone to feeling baby blues and anxiety returning then.

Just hearsay. I've no personal experiences !

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sarah
02-12-03, 23:56
Hi Meg
Yes, baby blues is partly a concern of mine too. But hey i guess you never know until you have it. Even so called 'normal people' get it too dont they? So who knows
thanks meg
love Sarah
xx

Meg
03-12-03, 00:02
Oh yes Sarah they get it hugely, you'll be 'normal' then .

It is recognised as being ' real ' too !! so lots of attention and treatment from the docs and healthvisitor.

Meg

Laurie28
03-12-03, 09:32
Hiya,

Thought I might give you my side.

I started getting very anxious when I was pregnant with my 2nd
This continued when he was born and I was diagnosed with PND. i don't know if I have PND but definetly have GAD. The joy of seeing the wee man grow and learn outweighs it all though.

Being with the kids though sometimes takes my mind of the anxiety as they need bathed, fed and loved.
Also the kids need things too. my oldest wanted to go to a pantomime and the person i was supposed to go with pulled out at the last minute. i didn't want to go alone but couldn't let my son down. I wouldn't have went for anyone else.

I'm not saying having a baby caused my anxiety it didn't. i have been anxious for years having a baby brought it to a head

Maybe now is the time to say anxiety won't beat me I want a baby and this has ruled my life for long enough

Love
Lucky

Lottie32
03-12-03, 10:31
Mums are great aren't they.

My mums cure is to get me married off and pregnant, then I'll be ok. I say, until I can sort myself out, I don't want to be relying on another person. (I also have never had any desire to have a baby - stretch marks, getting fat, not being able to drink and smoke, the actual birth itself, then having a living breathing thing to lug round for years to come - no thanks) Anyway, my friends have some beautiful children, who I just kidnap whenever I feel the need. And more importantly return at the end of the day!!!!!

I am still not sure how the physical strain of being pregnant, the lack of sleep, and the extra responsibility can make anxiety go away!!! And it's not something I'd try as a cure either!!!

I have two friends (neither of them on meds) who have just had babies. They both suffered from anxiety and panic before pregnant, and they both still suffer now. However, it's interesting as their focus of panic has changed. The one who was a bit agrophobic can now go out (due to having to go to clinic/doctors with baby), but is now anally retentive about housework and order and lives her life to a strict timetable. I often wonder if you altered that if she would unravel. I've never bought it up, but it seems to be there under the surface!

Charlie

mags
03-12-03, 14:30
Having a baby is never going to be a cure, but if you really want to be a mum you should go for it. There'll never be a right or good time if your permanently anxious. The anxiety might last for life but your chances of motherhood wont. Its amazing what you can cope with when you have no alternative.

sarah
03-12-03, 16:48
Hi Mags
thanks for that. Your answer seems to make so much sense when you put it like that!!!
Love Sarah
xx
p.s I dont want a baby as a potential 'cure'. Its something ive wanted since i was little but have just been to scared lately. Im 30 now and got married 2 years ago and it just seems like the natural thing to do now.

Lottie32
03-12-03, 16:59
Sarah

Then go for it girl. The last thing my daddy told me before he died was that he was going to the grave with no regrets. And there aren't many who can say that. So if it's what you really both want, then do it.

You can always send out a panic e-mail for help with the babysitting!

Charlie

sarah
03-12-03, 17:43
hiya Charlie

you have promoted yourself to the top of my babysitting list....lol

love Sarah
xx