PDA

View Full Version : Bowel Cancer Panic

liggy
19-10-08, 08:21
I'm really hoping that somebody may be able to give me some advice. I am 37 and have always had regular and good bowel movements. From googling I think that for the past few years I have suffered from Proctalgia Fugax (spasms in your bottom that last up to 1/2 an hour) I realise that they are not serious and know how to control them. Then last week I woke up with a real gurgling tummy and needed to go to the toilet immediately, it was looser than normal and very smelly. Since then I have had to go every morning as soon as I wake up, the same loose movements. I am now getting tummy pains all the time and a pressure like feeling in my anus, but not so much that I feel like I have to go again. I am worrying myself sick that it is BC. Don't think I have had any blood as religiously check but convince myself that anything slightly red is blood. I am waking up in the night and my tummy is fine then as soon as I start worring why I've woken up I get tummy ache and then think it must be my tummy waking me up!!! I'm having to go twice a day nd they are always soft and very smelly. Have 2 young kids and don't want to leave them. Am trying to keep diary of it so I can track it, but think if it was just tummy bug it would have gone by now. I had a spinach and chicken curry at about 11 last night and there was black in my movement this morning, would the spinach have passed through this quickly or could it have been blood?? If somebody can help I would be very greatful, thanks. I had full blood test in Jan and abdominal scan, all fine but know this doesn't check bowel.

LeeBee
19-10-08, 08:34
You might have a stomach bug or virus (they can last longer than a week, especially a virus) or maybe IBS. Being anxious can cause "fast digestive transit" - basically when you are anxious or nervous, and you release stress hormones, this causes your body to move the material in your digestive tract much faster than normal, in an attempt to prepare your body for "fight or flight". This can cause light-coloured, soft stools, more frequent movements and urgency. So maybe you have IBS/stomach bug/virus that is being exacerbated by anxiety.

The best thing to do would be to pop to your doctor for a physical exam to put your mind at ease.:flowers:

liggy
19-10-08, 08:38
Can the stress cause the stomach pains and pressure feeling too? thanks for your reply

Jaco45er
19-10-08, 08:54
Stress and anxiety goes straight to your stomach, anxiety causes tummy upsets.

Did I see that word google? That's the problem, googling ;)

An anxiety sufferer will always go straight to the worst case scenario, it sounds to me like LeeBee said, just an upset tummy or IBS.

If you really are stressing about it, pop to the Docs for re-assurance but it really does sound like nothing to worry about.

TC

Jaco

LeeBee
19-10-08, 08:56
Not sure to be honest, liggy, my own experience is only of urgency, looseness, light colour etc. I had lots of gurgling and discomfort at the same time, but not pain. This went on for about 3 months while I had a virus, and it was definitely worse when I was at my most anxious, and eased off when I was less anxious. IBS can cause stomach pain:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=ibs

BNCfan
19-10-08, 10:24
I understand completely how worried you must be. I also would suggest that it's some kind of bug, but if you're so worried go to your doctor and ask to have a stool sample done. It may initially make your anxiety worse waiting for the result, but there are lots of other more simple things it could be other than cancer that can be easily treated. I know I'm one to talk, because the slightest symptom becomes cancer in my mind. I don't think it's related to the muscle spasms you describe. You say you have two little children and believe me little kids can bring some nasty bugs home with them. I hope you get things checked out, it's the only way to get peace of mind. Just occurrred to me, have you been away on holiday recently? Another way of picking up nasty bugs.

jojo2316
21-10-08, 10:33
I had to write a reply to your post because I could have written it myself, right down to the two young children bit!
It is an amazing thing, but the gut seems to actually respond when you are thinking and worrying about it. I got into a state about bowel cancer a few months back and boom! suddenly I had loose stools and needed to go to the loo all the time. I had pains and horrid sensations too. then my health anxiety moved on to something else (throat cancer!) and, although I was just as worried, my bowel symptoms almost went away. Then I started worrying about bowel cancer again and, guess what, the symptoms came back! The body is an amazing thing.
You know, for peace of mind, you can order those fecal occult blood tests over the internet. They will tell you for sure whether there is any hidden blood. And as my gp said, no hidden blood, no cancer.
Hope you feel better soon!
xx

liggy
23-10-08, 21:56
Hello all

thanks so much for your replies, actually went to docs on monday and stressed the fact about looseness, smellyness and also stressed (good word!!) the rectal pressure and ache that I've been feeling. He checked my tummy and said all felt ok, said I probably had low grade bowel infection/bug and gave me Keflex antibiotics for a week. I have stopped having loose poos although they have gone thinner than normal (worrying me that I have an obstruction!!) they have stopped smelling so bad and stomach gripes not so bad apart from after BMs and still have some little gripes in lower tummy in day. Problem is the rectal pressure and aching is still there and really worrying me and it also is quite itchy?? worse after BM. Am intending to go back to docs aftr antibiotics finished to check out this pressure and aching, any ideas would be appreciated??
Thanks

lennons_mammy
23-10-08, 22:07
If it is still there when you finish your antibiotics then you should go back to put your mind at rest. Are you still getting black in your poo?

liggy
23-10-08, 22:10
No I think that was the spinach! it's just this aching, trouble is I sit down all day and am worrying about it and know how powerful my mind is ! could I really make my rectum ache with my mind though??!!

lennons_mammy
23-10-08, 22:13
Yeah you could. When I get really stressed out I get alot of stomach aches and also when I get anxious my guts tend to go abit mental and I usually get a bit gassy and need to go to the toilet:blush: .

liggy
19-11-08, 20:29
Hi guys me again!
Am worrying again as after I had the antibiotics, the stomach pains, loose bm's went and all went back to normal except the anal ache and pressure. Went back to docs who examined me and said it felt swollen and boggy??!! and most likely piles and prescribed suppositories. It's 6 days now since taking them and it is still there. I also tried germaolids before going to docs by the way. Really worried as its not going and fearing the worst of course!! that it's anal or rectal cancer. Have no bleeding, bm's ok (bit softer as been using fibresure), no pain when have a bm. Before all this if had a larger than normal bm would have a bit of blood but always took this to be a slight cut due to bm. Any ideas?? would be really appreciated,

Thanks

kathyanne
19-11-08, 22:39
Please try not to worry. You are going to bed thinking about this thing. Yes your mind is a powerful thing, it remembers what you were thinking before you fell asleep, try changing what you are thinking right before bed. Read anything, try not to think about BC, it's highly unlikely, remember that. Try to relax. Bowels have a mind of their own. If you are worrying it will go straight to your stomach. This won't calm down untill you calm down.

Kathyx

jkse
23-11-08, 04:35
you should not worry so much, i think this is realted to your annxitey i was goin through similiar stuff a while ago, i convniced my slef somthing was wrong an everything seemed to be getting worse for instance, i saw some red in my stool and starting freaking out thiniking it was blood untill someone brought to my attention that it was probley tomatoe, i was really obsessed with this untill my attention shifted to another illness which i though i had and all of these symptoms slowly went away

martin1989
23-11-08, 16:27
hi, i have bowel problems.
i have it wher i dont go for 3 weeks and then i all of a sudden do.
and as you can imagine....it hurts lol.
i doubt you have bowel cancer all due to the fact my ex had exactelly what you are explaining at it was found out she had IBS.
because your anxious you will be thinking of the worst (like she did) but really i very very much doubt its bowel cancer.

BKF1515
23-11-08, 18:37
Just very quickly, to me it sounds like you have IBS. I have various symptoms down there (mainly abdominal spasms, bloating and occasionally pain) and my doctor is certain that I am suffering from IBS, which basically just seems to flare up if you even so much as think about it. Make sure you drink enough water!

liggy
23-11-08, 20:50
Hi
have only just checked in again, thanks for messages. Obviously I am still worrying as back here again. Thing is I finished the suppositories and the aching died down but still have the feeling that I have something up my bottom! Worried as don't think it is piles as no blood with bm and no pain or stinging with bm. When I press anus (sorry!!!) just feel like I have my hands there all the time at mo !!!! tmi!!!) it's quite tender and feels like there is something there??? Sorry to be a drag and go on about this. I know I am a paniccer?? and assume the worst with all illnesses / changes but I can't help it, luckily I can laugh about stuff too so my other half isn't getting rid of me just yet!!
Thanks

Fred Speed
23-11-08, 22:58
let me just say i have hypotheically had every cancer going. i thought I had bowel cancer when my poo was black ut I had been drinking red wine. I also had a brain tumour for a good for months this year but hey guess what I was fine!! Im sure you will be okay and stress works wonders on my tummy to the point where if I have a panic attack I will have the s**ts!! Jus seek confirmation from theDoc but I know that sometimes this is not enough and you dont beleive them. Just try positive thinking and do a bit of exercise and I find this helps emensley. Im on citalopram 20mg a day and it has made the world of difference.

Try not too worry hun xx

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

jkse
24-11-08, 00:09
hey so i was just reading about the tenderness you mentioned and it might just be a hemroid which is forming , like i said i too ws going thourgh this and i rember my anxitey ( may be getting too graphic) was giving me really weird bowel movemnts, this in turn irrated the skin back there which also lead to tenderness there
hope that helps

liggy
04-12-08, 23:14
Hi again

thanks for your messages. I went to see gastroenterologist and explained all my symptoms and he did seem to hang onto the looser bm's symptom. This started about 2 months ago and then cleared after I had the antibiotics. It has now come back again for the last week 10 days and I seem to have to go every day, whereas before I'd go every day to every other day. It's not diaorrhea?? but is looser than normal. He said that nothing I've told him concerns him but for my reassurance he would suggest the colonoscopy (booked in for after xmas...so all of xmas to worry!!!). I'm worried now because he seemed to discount the sigmoidoscopy and went straight for the colonoscopy. Is he just being overly cautious? I was honest and said that I was concerned it could be bowel cancer!!! But of course I'm thinking that he is more concerned than letting on. When are looser bm's serious?? Seem to be worse today, 3 bm's in one day and lots of tummy bubbling!!
Thanks

Emaa
05-12-08, 05:37
Yes. Anxiety can contribute to hemoroids (spelling?)
I've got them after a tummy bug too :( Just mention it to your doc and they'll sort you out with something. [:

ems1981
11-12-08, 21:07
I too thought I had bowel cancer a year and a half ago......Had to have a colonoscopy which wasn't too bad as it goes...The prep was the worst bit....Turns out the docs didn't find anything. He said I probably had a anal fissure and it had cleared up but I'm not totally convinced there was blood...It could have been just undigested food....

Have been completely fine since last July (Of course have been back to the docs over 10 times since due to other symptoms - all of which were either in my head or minor)

Spent a week in Dubai and Singapore in October and since then my tummy hasn't been right...I had constipation on and off and when I do I find myself in pain when passing the BM. I've looked a few times and think there's blood again.....My anus is also really itchy...I've googled (yes I know) and it came up with anal cancer so I'm so scared again....

I've looked up the incidents of anal cancer in the UK...Roughly 1000 a year which isn't alot when theres more then 60 million of us...I'm only 27 too also no cancer in the family but I still thinking the worst....

Could cancer grow since my last colonoscopy or could I be dealing with another fissure? I've tried to have a look but can't see anything...

Cheers
Ems