PDA

View Full Version : Thantophobia

lennons_mammy
19-10-08, 10:49
Anybody else suffer from this? I would love to speak to somebody who understands. I think my thantophobia and agoraphobia are connected in someway but I am not sure. It just seems that when ever my thantophobia kicks in my agoraphobia is not far behind it.

lennons_mammy
19-10-08, 19:41
Awwwww am I the only one? :(

kate
19-10-08, 21:12
I don't know what Thantophobia is? :blush:

Kate

honeybee3939
19-10-08, 21:18
I think its a fear of death or dying Kate.

I just googled it. I can imagine lots of people will have this phobia i didnt realise there was a name for it.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

kate
19-10-08, 21:48
Thanks, Andrea :D

Yes I too imagine that loads of people have this phobia and that, when your fear is heightened, then it impacts on all areas of anxiety which is why your agorophobia would worsten.

Kate

lennons_mammy
20-10-08, 08:18
Yes it is a fear of dying sorry I should have mentioned that.

thinker_bell
20-10-08, 16:28
yes of course, in the long list of my problems, fear of dying or someone else dying is right at the top.. its very scarey and very common in anxiety... u most definitely are not alone and the agorophobia is prob related, i suffer with both too..
i think u will find most people on here are the same hun, so ifyou ever wna talk were in the same boat xx

befuddled1
20-10-08, 18:21
There are lots of threads on this if you do a search using e.g. death/fear of death.
I have it too.

honeybee3939
20-10-08, 21:11
Hi

Try this link too hun......

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784

A few posts about the very subject.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

lennons_mammy
20-10-08, 21:56
Thats made me feel a bit better when no one replied I got worried I was the only one. I have tried explaining how I feel about this to my family but no one really understands so I'm very glad I've found some people who do.

Lila
20-10-08, 23:17
You are certainly not alone. Fear of dying is one of the most common fears, couple that with an anxiety disorder and it's really rough I would imagine. I hope you find people to talk too about this.

AntiLove_SuperStar
23-10-08, 09:11
^ One of the useful functions of depression...removes fear of death!

To original poster...fear of dying, very common. Evolution-arily (I mention that too much) speaking, we do well to fear death because it makes us cling on to life and so heightens our reproductive fitness. totally normal. I think its also the case that a lot of people go through the "oh gosh I'm going to DIE one day" thing at some stage(s) of their lives...could be important to decide what your spiritual outlook is. I tend towards the atheistic, "we're just apes" style but of course I don't KNOW that's correct, there are lots of other worldviews out there.

The agoraphobia I can't offer anything on from experience, but I'm sorry to hear you are suffering.

lennons_mammy
23-10-08, 10:48
To AntiLove_SuperStar I am a agnostic which means I don't really know whether I believe in God or not. I guess thats the main reason I have this phobia because I don't know whats going to happen. I can go for ages without thinking about death but then one day it just hits me that I have to die and I have no choice in the matter then it becomes all I can think about. At the moment because of my agoraphobia I am not really thinking about it much because I am just concentrating on getting better. I just started this thread to see if there were any others who had this fear because I keep reading that this is one of the most common fears but I have yet to meet someone who has it.

HeatherMc
23-10-08, 10:49
I worry about this a lot I didn't know there was a proper name for it?
The things you pick up on here are amazing!

Heather