PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Had This, I'm Terrified

lamentinglaura
19-10-08, 14:54
Back in the early summer I found a small lump in my neck just above the clavicle. I had a CT scan down and it showed a swollen lymph node but nothing that looked suspicious. I went to my surgeon for a follow up and told him that I thought it was getting bigger. He checked it and said it still seemed pretty small. He then said he was going to do another CT scan in January and if it was bigger, he'd do a biopsy. Just the mere mention of the word sent shivers down my spine. Since that appointment the swollen node seems to have gotten smaller then bigger again. In the morning, right after I wake up, it seems huge. Then in an hour or so it shrinks back down again. The whole thing terrifies me. Has anyone else had this happen?

amandaj
19-10-08, 14:58
hi ive got what is a swallon lymph gland /cyst on my neck, ive had it for 8 years now,mine seems to get bigger when im anxious im told it can be cut out but its not painful so im leaving it there it does differe on days the size of it if need any more info feel free to pm me
amanda

LeeBee
19-10-08, 19:35
The ones under my jaw often feel puffy in the morning and then shrink down during the day. I had a really long viral infection this year and they were swollen pretty much the whole time, so I check them often (probably too much!). I think there may be an element of fluid retention there at night, in the same way that your eyes can be puffy in the morning and go down after a few hours. I've also got a node under my ear that has been bigger than the one on the other side for years. It feels very firm. It's never really bothered me, one or two nodes can be larger than the others.

jbond1978
25-03-09, 07:25
I have one behind my right ear for a month now... it's completely hard in the morning and then gets smaller and softer in the first hour or so.

I'm a bit worried, as at the same time i have had a flu-like feeling that never really evolves into a full flu. I wish it would, then I knew it would get better. Gonna call the doctor I guess.

All the best, Jens

LisaLisa
25-03-09, 10:51
Back in the early summer I found a small lump in my neck just above the clavicle. I had a CT scan down and it showed a swollen lymph node but nothing that looked suspicious. I went to my surgeon for a follow up and told him that I thought it was getting bigger. He checked it and said it still seemed pretty small. He then said he was going to do another CT scan in January and if it was bigger, he'd do a biopsy. Just the mere mention of the word sent shivers down my spine. Since that appointment the swollen node seems to have gotten smaller then bigger again. In the morning, right after I wake up, it seems huge. Then in an hour or so it shrinks back down again. The whole thing terrifies me. Has anyone else had this happen?

Hi Laura

I have a node obsession!

But I think that if your worrying about serious ilness the GP i saw told me that these were very very obvious to a Dr and would be very large. He also said that they would not shrink and then grow again. Sounds like your surgeon is very sure that it isnt anything that is sinister and just wants to follow it up because he is good at his job. My friend is a Dr and she is always telling me to leave off about nodes because she says they just do there own thing and so so so many times there is no explanantion for why they are swollen other than its nothing , its doing what nodes do .

Lisa
xx

bex1970
25-03-09, 12:06
I have had one in exactly the same place. And still do. I had it scanned and was told it was within normal parameters. Some days it's more noticeable than others. If you have googled (which it sounds like you have!) you'll see that it's considered to be in a worrying area.... but the same rules apply. Mobile, soft, small - then fine. Are you slim? apparently that can make a difference in the sense that they can be more noticeable. Lymph nodes change all the time - going up and down is ok - it's when they only go up and up and up that you might need to worry...

I suspect your GP is suggesting another scan and biopsy purely because you are worrying so much. Get yourself referred to an ENT surgeon as they are more knowledgeable about the area and therefore more reassuring. But mine turned out to be fine and yet I still notice it sometimes - it does go up and down too. I am quite sure you're ok.