PDA

View Full Version : Real scary attack last night.

Vic.
19-10-08, 19:03
Hello all, I'm new and I had a real scary attack last night. I'm male, 34, and I've always been quite a confident person who's never suffered from nerves, etc, although my mother has. What happened to me last night scared the living daylights out of me and I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow morning. I've searched the net all morning finding out more about what happened and I really do need to get this off my chest as I'm actually quite afraid this might happen again tonight. It is actually quite embarrassing to talk to family and friends and I really need this off my chest tonight. Thanks.

Last night I went to bed as normal, didn't eat late or drink alcohol. Suddenly around 2:30 I woke up with a jolt and ran into my computer room. I felt my head was going to explode and when I ran I was pumping my arms and hands like a sprinter. My movements felt robotic and sort of like slow motion, but it felt as if I had to pump my arms and legs to release energy. The situation felt very real, it wasn't like it felt like a dream.

I bent down in the dark to try and turn on the computer (I have no idea why), and in my haste to get this done, I failed to switch it on. Suddenly, I started to panic and I began to think I had lost my mind. I ran downstairs still pumping and swinging my arms like I was in a sprint with my mind getting increasingly muddled. I ran towards the back door with the intention of running out and screaming at the top of my voice to release this energy build up, but thankfully I took control of the situation and only turned the key and never opened the door. A sudden rush of embarrassment and euphoria swamped me as I realised I was only wearing my boxers and that I had prevented a very embarrassing situation if I had ran outside screaming. I then ran up the stairs again.

When I got upstairs I realised I hadn't any clothes on, just my boxers and I began to dress in my best clothes (I have no idea why, maybe I was getting ready to go outside, maybe I didn't want people finding me undressed). My mind was rushing with different thoughts and I really thought I was loosing my mind. I began to pace the landing, back and forth and the adrenalin of rushing somewhere seemed to diminish. I got back onto the bed and started shaking and worrying about what had taken place. Slowly I began to feel more relaxed and eventually got over to sleep a few hours after the episode.

It's good to get that off my chest, it means so much as I might be that wee bit better prepared if something like this happens again. I have the front and back door keys hide away tonight, so I can't get at them as easily.

miss_worry
19-10-08, 19:49
Hi Vic,

I am sorry you went through that last night. I have been through a similar thing not so long ago. I was asleep and jumped out of the bed and ran into the spare bedroom. My head pounding and heart racing and looking out of the window to check on the car. I had no idea why I did this at the time and I thought I was losing my marbles! Then went back to bed feeling quite panicky and then going back to sleep. The next morning I sat and thought about why it could possibly have happened, then it dawned on me. We had a new car and obviously my subconcious wanted to make sure the was ok and not being broken into???? I don't know but I guess I may have been stressed going to sleep etc and my mind was working overtime whilst asleep.

I'm sure the doc can ease your mind a little when you see him tomo as I'm sure it's just anxiety related.

Hope this help a little.

TC

Vxx

charlish74
19-10-08, 20:57
hi im sort of going through the same thing wanting to run of some were god knows were just to i dont know calm down make it stop i get to the point were i want to phone an ambulance get a doctor the panic was unreal when it happens next time lay on the bed take a deap breath in count to 7 then breath out slowly counting to 11 as you breath out i found after a couple of times it did help takes time to get used to it but it will hopefully help you . i found doing this took my mind of it as i was counting in my head , sometimes putting your hand on your tummy as you breath in helps, hope you find this helpful x

Vic.
19-10-08, 21:07
Thanks for your comments people. I've read that the first time it happens is the scariest especially when awakening from a sleep. I hope if it does happen again that I've got the sense to stop myself running off somewhere. I only managed to gain control of the situation last night when I didn't open the back door. For that first minute, I really hadn't got control of myself and the amount of energy I experienced was immense. I've never felt so much energy within me before.

I found a good link earlier which helped me understand it better. Hope it helps others.

http://www.algy.com/anxiety/files/barlow.html

charlish74
19-10-08, 21:15
its mad isnt it were does all the energy come from all of a sudden i never had anything like it before ive only had this for 4 days since i came out of hospital but really try the breathing let me know how you get on with it x