PDA

View Full Version : Hello and I'm Coming Off Citaloprim.

reyniebenie
19-10-08, 20:00
Hello Everyone.

May I start by saying that this website is fabulous and I'm sure it helps so many people in so many ways.
I have suffered from general anxiety for the last ten years. I had a stroke when I was 28. I made a quick recovery but launched straight into drinking and drug use to dampen the shock of it. I also wanted to prove that it wasnt going to slow me down. So I went on for the next 5 years pretending to be fine. Pretending that I was normal and coping. When infact I was physically exhausted. I used to work all week and spend the whole weekend in bed. Then I moved down to the coast and felt better for a while but I had to move back to london for work. Then about 3 years ago I became incredibly ill. I had shingles and it went on and on and on. I spent the whole of a summer in bed. I just couldnt get up. Everytime I tried my head hurt. The doctors told me that I was severely depressed. I was started on Citaloprim and I was tested for HIV. The Citaloprim caused me to feel edgy and irratable but I continued to take it. The hiv test came back positive and that was the worst year of my life.

But things got better. HIV is no problem - I can take tablets for that. Now the Anxiety and depression is another matter. I have continued to take Citaloprim for 3 years. The anxiety never went away, but it did get better and I was able to work and function. But everything I did in life became a chore. I felt constantly sedated. I never looked forward to anything or planned anything and gradually I accepted that as a part of me. Having now stopped Citaloprim after insisting with my Dr everything is coming back. I am doing things spontaneously and without dread or stress. I have stopped a week and so far have had no anxiety or depression - only withdrawal symptoms. My doctor wants to start me on a new drug either Venlafaxine, Mertazipine or Sertraline.

I don't know what to do. I feel it has been so long since I have been myself. That I want to go it alone without any medication. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow and will discuss that with him. I just dont want those terrible feeling of anxiety returning though.

Thanks for listening and any words of guidance or support will be gladly welcomed. I can tell I am better because I joined this site a couple of years ago but was too anxious to write a message.

Brian

reyniebenie
21-10-08, 16:15
Hi Again
Appointment went well with my doctor and we decided that I should try and not take any medication and see how I go. I am a bit nervous about stopping Citaloprim but I would not say I was anxious. I am just trying to fill the day up and keep up beat. 5 days with no Citaloprim so far so good. In total I have been on Citaloprim for 4 years.
Brian.

ladybird64
21-10-08, 16:26
Hi Brian

Sorry I missed your original post.

I don't take any medication for my anxiety but I would guess that you should go with your gut feeling on this issue.
You are obviously going to be nervous about stopping your Citalopram but it sounds like you have your doctors backing and you do know what symptoms to look out for if you feel the anxiety returning.
I hope it continues to go well for you, keep us posted. :)