PDA

View Full Version : I am getting myself into such a state

mary8
20-10-08, 09:26
I'm really sorry to trouble you all again and thank you so much for the replies I had to my previous post.
I have what the Dr described as a trapped nerve in my neck/shoulder which is causing me a great deal of pain which effects my neck, shoulder blade and outside of my arm. I saw a Chiropacter last week and am due to see him again on Wednesday. I have been taken Neurofen and Paracetamol for the past 10 days or so but now they don't seem to ease the pain much or if they do it takes about an hour and a half for them to kick in.
The problem now is that I am convincing myself that I have a tumour on my spine and that is what is causing the problem. I suffer so badly from HA and always diagnose myself with life threatening conditions. I also feel a bit sick now and have lost my appetite, maybe because I am getting myself into such a state. I am getting so down that I cannot feel positive about anything. I also suffer from a recurring sore place up my nose, I have a cream called Naseptin which really clears it up within about 4/5 days but then once I have stopped using the cream after about 2 weeks the sore place comes back again. I have been to my GP a few times about this but he has told me it's nothing serious because it responds so well to the treatment. But I am feeling so down about it all now that I just don't know how to cope.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my thread and I would be so grateful for any comforting advice.

Janieb
20-10-08, 09:37
Sorry I can't really offer much advice about the problem however for treatment have you tried acupuncture? It has helped me through a number of aches and pains as well as anx and depression.

I think when we are suffering from something that does not tend fo go away it tends to freak us out and if it continues it gets you down! It's so frustraighting and I really hope you manage to get better soon!

Take care,
Jane

LeeBee
20-10-08, 09:45
Hi there, mary, try to be reassured by the doctor's diagnosis. If he thought it was anything other than a trapped nerve then he would have investigated further. Back pain is a tricky thing, my mum suffers with a lot of back pain from years of nursing, she has had trapped nerves and has collapsed discs which are very painful at times. She uses heat pads and painkillers when she's having a bad day. I'd like her to try more exercise to strenghten her core stomach muscles as this would enable her to support her back more easily, with pilates for example. But it is her back :).

Try to focus on treating the trapped nerve rather than focusing on all of the scary things that it could be (but isn't). I know how hard this is, but diverting your mind away from the HA thoughts helps stop you just going round and round on it and winding yourself up. Janieb's suggestion of acupuncture sounds good.

Andyroo
20-10-08, 11:13
hey mary im so sorry your going threw such a hard time.. im sure the doctor would know if it was anything serious.. i know its hard to believe people somtimes but doctors do know what they are doing and i know you already know that its just a reminded:shades: somtimes i need to hear it myself.. you have my suport and i wish u the best:hugs:

mary8
20-10-08, 11:57
Thank you all so much for your kind messages, they have made me feel much better. I know what you are telling me makes sense and I must focus on that. I have been back to my GP this morning and have been prescribed some stronger pain killers. Also suggested I have some more CBT. I do have a CBT disc so I am able to do it on my computer at home.
Thank you again and take care. x

Blackstar
20-10-08, 14:55
Hi Mary,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time. HA really wears you out, doesn't it? Makes life so much harder to cope with in every little way.

I agree with the others - if your doc was worried they'd look into other causes of your pain. If it was a tumour there would no doubt be a number of other telltale symptoms to alert the doctor to it.

Do you find that there are times when you are so busy or engaged in something that you momentarily forget the pain and the anxiety? I always think that's a good sign, cos if the symptoms go away even for a short time it is less likely to be something serious.

As for the nose, I'm sure it's nothing more sinister - specially if your cream does clear it up. I've had eczema on my hands since I was born, and creams help but don't ever cure it...perhaps this is similar. There's just a weakness in the tissue but nothing more.

Good luck with everything :)

Anna. x