PDA

View Full Version : Now we can't have Omega 6 - can't win!

LeeBee
20-10-08, 10:19
Does anyone else feel like you just can't win? I've just been reading about how Omega 6 oil may contribute to Alzheimer's disease (one of my many fears). Up till now I've been merrily scoffing Omega 6 - in primrose oil supplements, lots of nuts and seeds, eggs, healthy vegetable oils etc, thinking I was eating a diet that would help prevent heart problems later in life. Apparently I've been laying the ground for Alzheimers, which, I think, would be a worse way to go than keeling over with a heart attack, judging by the experience of people that I have known who have had it.

I know I always overreact to news stories like this, just ask Trixie :D. I wish I could get away from them but I work in the media so it is difficult to tune it out. Now I'm wondering what I'm going to eat having already cut out most red meat, alcohol, caffeine, sugar, salt and processed foods. Now have to cut back on vegetables containing Omega 6 oils (which is most of them), nuts, seeds, oily fish, eggs? I'll fade away. Oh well, we all have to go somehow. You can't win, huh :winks:?

lorac
20-10-08, 11:01
Hi LeeBee

You certainly can't win, I have been taking Omega 6 for years and I think I will continue to do so. Next week it all may change again and they will say it's good for you.

Carol

tashbarnes87
20-10-08, 11:10
Hey LeeBee, it really sucks doesnt it. I always read BBC New on my lunch and everyday promise myself that i wont go on the health pages and if theres any main stories on health i wont read them. Of course this never happens and i read all of them, including the external links and come back to work an emotional wreck. It annoys me most that you know your going to be effected by it but we all still choose to do it like google. Im sure that if google wasnt around or programs like house i wouldnt have HA

:blush: xx

joyce1980
20-10-08, 11:15
They shouldn't say anything until they are sure it's true.

Sounds like an opinon of a on off study and you most certainly have not been doing yourself harm by eating loads of nuts, oily fish and eggs.

You sound like you have been having a very healthy diet for you and your bub.

I think while you are unwell you should not read those sorts of things, the media cause undue panic in people.

Only listen to your Dr !!! only, I foud that out the hard way.

Don't you dare take the word of a news article, talk to your Dr.

LeeBee
20-10-08, 11:19
Thanks guys. I know I'm not alone with this - Tash, you're dead right, sometimes information can just make us worry more. A little learning and all that. Thanks for your wise words Joyce. Just for the record, I'm not pregnant (I wish :blush:)...

Andyroo
20-10-08, 11:19
seems like they go back and fourth with this kind of stuff:wacko:

joyce1980
21-10-08, 14:57
Thanks guys. I know I'm not alone with this - Tash, you're dead right, sometimes information can just make us worry more. A little learning and all that. Thanks for your wise words Joyce. Just for the record, I'm not pregnant (I wish :blush:)...

Whoops sorry about that, gosh i'm getting confused oops:blush::blush: :blush: :blush:

Trixie
21-10-08, 15:16
Does anyone else feel like you just can't win? I've just been reading about how Omega 6 oil may contribute to Alzheimer's disease (one of my many fears). Up till now I've been merrily scoffing Omega 6 - in primrose oil supplements, lots of nuts and seeds, eggs, healthy vegetable oils etc, thinking I was eating a diet that would help prevent heart problems later in life. Apparently I've been laying the ground for Alzheimers, which, I think, would be a worse way to go than keeling over with a heart attack, judging by the experience of people that I have known who have had it.

I know I always overreact to news stories like this, just ask Trixie :D. I wish I could get away from them but I work in the media so it is difficult to tune it out. Now I'm wondering what I'm going to eat having already cut out most red meat, alcohol, caffeine, sugar, salt and processed foods. Now have to cut back on vegetables containing Omega 6 oils (which is most of them), nuts, seeds, oily fish, eggs? I'll fade away. Oh well, we all have to go somehow. You can't win, huh :winks:?

The news coverage of this study might lead some people to believe that it proves that Omega 6 increases the risk of Alzheimer’s. However, this is not the case for a number of reasons:
The majority of these experiments were conducted in small groups of mice.
The study did not measure actual levels of arachidonic acid in human cells, even in the part that involved human tissue.
This was a study of how fatty acids are metabolised in the brain and did not involve mice or humans being fed fatty acids in their diet. Two important questions need to be answered before the relevance of these findings in treating Alzheimer’s in humans is known. Firstly, whether the ‘Alzheimer’s model’ used here is an accurate model of dementia in humans and, secondly, whether humans with dementia also have high levels of arachidonic acid. But what is clear is that this is very preliminary research and any dementia treatments based on the results of this study are a long way off.

As read http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/10October/Pages/Omega6andAlzheimer%27s.aspx