PDA

View Full Version : just as i was gettin there,major set back..

lou77
20-10-08, 11:49
havnt posted in a while,been doing so well i thought,getting to uni,even managed a supermarket shop! lasted a week without any serious attacks,the ones i've had i managed to control. then saturday tried to go to the bank and major panic set in,this is where my attacks started,didnt let it get me down too much just said to myself im not ready to queue in banks yet,then today,left the house and panic set in almost straight away,instead of goin back home i carried on,then train was delayed for ages,and overcrowded because of it,was determined to see it thru but had to get off at the next stop,i couldnt breath,was so hot and just needed air.ended up sitting at the station in tears cos i couldnt cope with it,im so disappointed in myself i have been doing so well and now this.. i dont think i can cope with this much more,just wanna be normal again,will i ever get better..

HeatherMc
20-10-08, 14:09
Hey well done for getting things back on track over the last couple of weeks, I had a bit of a blip over the last two weeks, turns out I must have been run down and getting a cold, sitting here absolutely full of it. Just remember what you have achieved over the last few weeks hun, I am sure that this is all part of the recovery process little blips now and again, I had a big one last week in Liverpool where the rooms are spinning in shops feeling faint etc etc, I had to go back to work so got on the bus and sort of rode it out, it happended again the other night but I am determind not to let it beat me, I know it is horrible and like being back to square one, but went shopping on Saturday and was fine, don't be so hard on yourself I know when things are going well we think everything is ok, but sometimes its not, we need to give it time (hope this makes some sort of sense) and take it easy bit like trying to run before walking,

Well done

Heather

OldChris
20-10-08, 14:33
Lou - we have all been where you are now - some progress and then a setback that makes you feel that all the progress was an illusion - why are you dissapointed with yourself - you didn't do it on purpose - just remember that progress won't be constant and setbacks will occur.

miss_worry
20-10-08, 17:23
Hi Lou,

I am sorry you feel this way but I agree with HeatherMC - I too think it's part of the recovery process? I feel like I am going two steps forward and one back. But you have always got to think you have gone one step forward no matter what. You have come this far and you have to be proud of yourself. Don't give in to those feelings and let them take over again. What I have learnt so far is - been there done that. The feelings of anxiety and panic I have experienced many times and every time I have come out of the other end being fine.

Hope this helps.

TC

Vxx

andie73
20-10-08, 17:50
Hi

A panic attack that comes after a period of panic free time always feels like a set back, but it's not. These things don't just go away, coping with panic attacks is the key to progress. It's great that you haven't had any for a week but it's what you do when you do get them that counts. And look at what you did, you didn't just turn round and run. You may not be happy with the way you dealt with this one, but if you think of what you might have done a few weeks ago in the same situation and with the same level of panic,then I think you need to pat yourself on the back.

It doesn't happen over night, and you need to try and remember that to hope to never have a panic attack again is probably setting yourself an impossible task. I think you did so well to stick with it, and although you feel you have failed I think maybe you are being too hard on yourself. Don't avoid this situation next time, and when you face it without panicking, you will prove that it was just a bad day, we all get them, so try not to see this as a sign you are not coping.

Take care

lou77
20-10-08, 21:04
thanks guys,your words mean so much to me.. im still upset that i let this morning get to me,it came on so quickly and left my rescue spray at home,and before i knew it it had turned into major attack. But your right,a couple of weeks ago i wouldnt have even got to the train station let alone got on the train,i just got upset cos i dont wanna miss anymore uni and maybe i shouldnt get disappointed with myself but it just felt so good to have a week where i didnt need to run away from any situations,i'd forgotten how nice that felt. But tomoro is another day and i WILL be fine. thanks everyone,dont know what i would do without you all xxx

never2late
21-10-08, 02:10
I'm sorry to read of your set back, and I know firsthand of the disappointment we can feel after going through one.

Rather than view them as set-backs, I like to think of them as "echos".

They're really just ghost images of the "real" panic attacks that we once had.

The body remembers them, and reacts to them in very much the same way, but the body is only reacting to what is nothing more than a phantom.

Of course, it sure doesn't feel that way when it happens!

BUT . . . you'll notice that after the initial shock has passed and, given a day or two to relax and be calm, you'll find that you're feeling much better faster and more solidly than ever in the past.

It's tough. We may never be 100% free of these. But, to be more precise, we may never be 100% free of the "echoes" of them.

I send my best of luck across the pond to you.

joe34
21-10-08, 23:57
lou
Ive had experience of attacks on and off since 12 years ago fist one floored me , mine will never go away I have exepted that and this helps me deal with them when they pop up and to be fair this isnt that often now remember its only a feeling nothing more and we learn by accosiation so when you get a bad feeling you accosiate it with that event if you do the event with no bad feeling make sure you remember how good it feels this also helped me

hang in their it will get easier