PDA

View Full Version : why oh why :(

tashbarnes87
20-10-08, 14:15
Omg i have just done the stupidist thing my HA started a few months back with a HIV test because im pregnant i worked myself in to such a state that i was physically sick. This must have triggered something as i have had HA ever since. I got the results back and it said negative. Ok so i have forgotten about it ever since. Until today! i have started to worry that they might have got the wrong test results or the wrong person etc. So i googled whether it would show up in a full blood count that i have just had done, in my head i assumed it must but i was wrong i have just read that it can take up to 10 years for the symptoms to show and it doesnt show up in a blood count. i dont know what to do i am crying and shaking and have worked myself up. why did i google!

What is the likelyhood that the test results were wrong, or they wrote not detected when in should have been detected etc :(

i feel awful
x

jodie
20-10-08, 14:21
aww :hugs:

hey i am sure the tests are good and you do not have anything to worry about .i mean come on lots of people have tests all the time they have to be good it is not worth there jobs to make big mistakes like that .
see the way you are thinking is so typical of somone with ha so please try remember we all do this and we are allways fine you are going to make yourself ill with the worry rather then anything being wrong

jodie xxx

Blackstar
20-10-08, 14:39
Hello there,

I remember someone telling me that HIV tests are based on an ELISA assay, which is well-known for bringing up false positives. That means that a negative has to be definitely negative, ie, nothing whatsoever there to even cause a false positive! Bearing in mind a friend of mine was borderline just because he had hay fever at the time - he's actually negative! Also with an ELISA they will do a number of replicates, so the result is more powerful than with just one sample. They will also include negative and positive controls to determine the baseline sensitivity of the assay (I work in a research lab doing similar stuff so have some understanding of these things).

I understand your worry completely, it's one of my own even though there is no reason why I should have come into contact with the virus (which by the way has a low transmission rate, it's actually a pretty fragile virus).

I'm not going to say 'don't worry' because you will (!), but I hope the above snippets might help to put your mind at rest :)

Take care,

Anna.

crunchie01
20-10-08, 16:21
hi

hiv is one of my worries too, i ahve gotten myself into a state a fair few times.i was referred for counselling. my counsellor is also a registered nurse/mental health nurse. i explained my fears to him and he told me ;

when you have a full blood count it will show up there is something wrong with your white cells/platelets etc if you had hiv, which would then in turn make your gp ask for further tests etc so if your full blood count was ok then it was ok you have nothing to worry about at all

hope that makes sense and helps

tashbarnes87
20-10-08, 16:41
Hi Guys, thanks for all your responses. Jennie did your counsellor tell you about the blood count? I guess sometimes you just need some reasurrance, i dont know why i have done this to myself again, its almost like i need something to worry about and then regret it so much after. I just cant accept that the test was correct. I'm even comtemplating getting another test done. :weep:

tashbarnes87
20-10-08, 16:45
sorry just re read your post jennie, so the counsellor told you that. Well i guess he wouldnt lie would he:winks:

x

jojo2316
20-10-08, 22:20
You don't have HIV, this is the HA playing tricks with your brain. I get it all the time: what if the tests were wrong? Doubting test results is such a classic HA symptom, there is a whole section on it in my Health Anxiety book!
xx

jojo2316
20-10-08, 22:22
P.S I do know where you are coming from: I'm getting the very same thing myself today. 2 months ago I had a breast ultrasound (following breast cancer panic). It was clear. But now I'm in a state about it........ what if they missed something???
xx

Andyroo
21-10-08, 00:20
hey tash im sure if anything was slightly wrong it would have shown up on the blood count im sorry your having a hard time. i really dont think you have anything to worry about:hugs: please feel better soon and remember you always have my support:flowers:

london
21-10-08, 03:16
Omg i have just done the stupidist thing my HA started a few months back with a HIV test because im pregnant i worked myself in to such a state that i was physically sick. This must have triggered something as i have had HA ever since. I got the results back and it said negative. Ok so i have forgotten about it ever since. Until today! i have started to worry that they might have got the wrong test results or the wrong person etc. So i googled whether it would show up in a full blood count that i have just had done, in my head i assumed it must but i was wrong i have just read that it can take up to 10 years for the symptoms to show and it doesnt show up in a blood count. i dont know what to do i am crying and shaking and have worked myself up. why did i google!

What is the likelyhood that the test results were wrong, or they wrote not detected when in should have been detected etc :(

i feel awful
x
thay cant be wrong thay have numbers and sorts of things ro makie sure thay are the right one wish you better

tashbarnes87
21-10-08, 08:58
HI Guys, i just wanted to say thank you for your responses. I just wish this HA would give me a break for one day. I had another HIV test booked for tommorow but i have cancelled it and instead i am going to go back to my doctor next week who is dealing with my HA and speak to him about trying to sort out the root of the problem.
xxx

LeeBee
21-10-08, 09:13
Well done, Tash. Good for you :hugs:.

joyce1980
21-10-08, 12:14
HI Guys, i just wanted to say thank you for your responses. I just wish this HA would give me a break for one day. I had another HIV test booked for tommorow but i have cancelled it and instead i am going to go back to my doctor next week who is dealing with my HA and speak to him about trying to sort out the root of the problem.
xxx

EXCELLENT NEWS, HORRAH, YES YOU TELL YOUR DR JUST HOW BAD YOU ARE AT THE MOMENT

HUGS XX

tashbarnes87
21-10-08, 16:04
Poop, i cant get an appointment with my GP who is brilliant until the 30th :( now i don't know what to do as i dont want to worry myself sick until then. I know i will be able to get a phone consulation with him on Monday but still :(

Should i go to the HIV clinic and get another test or should i ride this out? I really want to rationalise this and deal with it but im struggling. I want to believe that it would show up in a full blood count sooo much

:weep:

crunchie01
21-10-08, 17:01
hi

please stop worrying, you havent got hiv hunny,your full blood count would have shown abnormalities up with various parts of your blood you have nothing to worry about

joyce1980
22-10-08, 09:17
Poop, i cant get an appointment with my GP who is brilliant until the 30th :( now i don't know what to do as i dont want to worry myself sick until then. I know i will be able to get a phone consulation with him on Monday but still :(

Should i go to the HIV clinic and get another test or should i ride this out? I really want to rationalise this and deal with it but im struggling. I want to believe that it would show up in a full blood count sooo much

:weep:

To be honest, unless you had sex with an infected host or you were sharing needles, it's quite impossib;e to get aids.

People (i was) are so scared they will catch aids from a toliet seat, kissing and using kitchen utensils.

The truth is HIV/AIDS virus is soo fragile ourside of the body, I mean very fragile!! :yesyes: