PDA

View Full Version : severe depression after 2 days of citalopram??

lifeissweet
20-10-08, 18:26
has anyone experienced severe depression after 2 days of citalopram (10mg).

i was prescribed these a couple months ago and stopped after only 2 days becasue i became severely depressed, couldnt stop crying, couldnt leave the house, was very very agressive and irritable , and the first night was lying in bed thinking who i could give my young children to becasue i couldnt be here anymore!!

this is not like me atall, yes i am anxious and have panic attacks and agoraphobia but i have never been that bothered about it that id feel that way..the doc didnt say it couldnt be the drug, the pharmacist said it was the drug and i should stop it straight away..

but deep down inside i am very scared that it wasnt the drug.. cause of something i read on here.. that it cant actually give you any side effects til 2-3 wks??is this true of anyone else whos taken it??

i havent ever felt that way since then..it took a few days for my appetite to come back and to be honest the experience of feeling that way has made me worse then before i had taken them, now i keep having anxious thoughts about what if the drug has done something to my brain, and now my brain "knows" how to be suicidal kind if thing.

can anyone help reassure me??

milly jones
20-10-08, 18:37
if ur at all dis satisfied with any medication u need to talk to ur gp hunny

he can then advise u of what to do next

milly xxxx

lifeissweet
20-10-08, 18:41
if ur at all dis satisfied with any medication u need to talk to ur gp hunny

he can then advise u of what to do next

milly xxxx

hi thanks , this was a couple months ago. gp said to stop straight away and i said i didnt want another anti-d.

just wondered if anyone else had experienced same as me after such a short time, cause its playing on my mind after reading on here that cant happen til 2-3wks.

Tom_M
20-10-08, 19:32
lauragcam, side effects from medication can effect you as soon as you ingest them. I almost cracked up after taking the first dose of Citalopram. I took it on the night and the next mourning I woke up in a severe depression followed by an awful panic attack. Obviously I stoped taking them and went back on a trusted antidperessant.

Tom

bumbles
20-10-08, 21:09
I have had exactly the same symptoms and been told that this is a side effect and that it will pass and to stay on them,the last 17 days have been hell. I hope you feel better soon

lifeissweet
20-10-08, 21:23
thanks for your replies everyone..you have no idea how relieved i am to knwo im not the only one.

Tom - I took chlomipramine years ago for the same thing and had asked if i could get tht one again because i trusted it, knew what to expect etc..but was told that was found to be more dangerous than citalopram now..what one did u go onto?

Bumbles - thats terrible ur having to stay on them, i dont think anyoneshould be given a drug that makes them worse..a few physical side-affects i could handle but mental ones are horrific! but im sure ur doc knows best and i hope u feel better soon.

I am staying away from anti-ds for now, am having counselling instead which has been a great help x