PDA

View Full Version : Trying Too hard

Bill
21-10-08, 02:36
I was in a bowls match the other day and one of my players just couldn't get it right. The harder they tried, the more tense they got and when it kept going wrong, the more they panicked.

I told them to "relax" but of course it had no effect as they were just too keyed up and had no confidence left.

And yet, they're a really good player during a "social". It was simply stress that got to them when things started going wrong.

It reminded me of anxiety. The more we try to "push" ourselves to overcome fear, the more tense we get and so the more we panic. We try Too hard.

If instead we take a calm relaxed focussed approach, the fear is broken.

On the very last bowl I had to get it right or we would have lost. I had to block out all other thoughts and focus on what I needed to do. I couldn't allow myself to think of the consequences of failing. I was very stressed but I remained focussed and achieved the desired result.

It's the same with anxiety. If we try "too" hard, we add more stress. Keep focussed on what we want to "do" and when it's done, our confidence builds for the next time.

They're always talking about football teams who are struggling at the bottom of a league saying that they have "no confidence". They've become used to losing. Confidence breeds confidence. Self Confidence with the "right technique" can conquer our fears.:hugs:

LeeBee
21-10-08, 07:27
I agree Bill. Since developing anxiety I've come to realise that "fighting" anxiety, in the sense of struggling against it, doesn't work. The result is just more anxiety and distress. During a panic attack, for example, the worst thing you can do is desperately struggle to make it stop. You become more distressed, muscles become more tightly clenched, your breathing more laboured and your mind starts to race faster and faster "I must make it stop, I must must make it stop". Distraction, relaxation, going with the flow to a degree, can help it to slow down, and eventually to stop.

I think this can be applied in many circumstances. Accepting my anxiety rather than "fighting" it has helped me enormously.