PDA

View Full Version : ha for so many years but wonder how many of you fear the going to doctors

trish1955
21-10-08, 08:39
hiya
i ave sufferd ha for so many years began at 12yrs old now 53 and still battleing the awfull fears of dying with mainly cancer or heart attack yet i aviod going to doctors as i have the fear they will be telling me something i dont want to no as i honestly would not cope if i new i had a terminal illness and was not going to servive it would prob kill me there and then i mean i ave lived nearly 40 years with the fear but not been happy with my life liveing this way infact i say i ave not lived at all
i fear now dying not aveing lived if you get what i mean any way just wonderd if i am the only one who dont go to doctors as when i read the thread nearly evry on is off to see a doctor or hospital and i feel my heart race just knowing they are going sounds crazy dont it
as i suppose best place to go to put yr mind at rest is the docs any way ave a good day all bye for now trish

LeeBee
21-10-08, 08:49
Hi Trish, I think lots of people do fear going to the doctor. I used to hate going to the doctor, before I had HA, and sometimes I wonder if the seeds of HA were lurking there and that subconciously I was worried that the doctor would tell me something I didn't want to hear. Since I've had HA, for the most part I have to resist running to the doctor to seek the reassurance that I am OK or to hear the worst and start treatment asap.

There have been specific things that I have been reluctant to go to the doctor abot, scared to hear what they might say (always been OK though, of course :blush:). It does sound like you have it pretty bad, though.

Ddcoo
21-10-08, 09:30
I think we HA sufferers come in one of two categories. Either we are running off to the doctor with every new symptom, or, who like my cousin, breaks out in a sweat if she gets a letter for a blood pressure test, which ever you are, we are still frightened of dying and that is the main problem.

tashbarnes87
21-10-08, 09:53
Hi Trish, my biggest fear is dying but over the past couple of days i have discovered that my biggest fear is waiting for test results to come back as i am convinced they will tell me that i have cancer or HIV ahh. I made myself sick with worry yesterday and i know its stupid but i just hate the idea of having blood tests in circulation ( if that makes sense) even just knowing that they are testing my blood scares me. i am fine about going to the doctor, even though he could be wrong - blood tests arn't

x

BNCfan
21-10-08, 10:21
Hi Trish, Like you I've been suffering from HA since I was young - 9 and I'm 65 now. I understand everything you say about the fear of being diagnosed with cancer or another incurable illness, but underlying all my problems is a fear of dying. Last week I went for some hospital tests and still haven't had the results and every day that goes by I'm getting more and more anxious. My life has taught me not to trust the medical profession, they completely screwed up when my mother was dying. The older I get the more aware I am of how little they actually know. It's like being caught in a trap, I'm terrified I have some awful disease - I'd lost all my family to cancer or heart disease by the time I was 33 - the only people I can go to for reassurance are the medical profession and I don't trust them anyway. I try to tell myself what will be, will be and the future is out of my hands - but I think the awareness of how powerless I am only makes things worse. I can't offer any reassurance, only empathise with how you are feeling. PM me if you want to. Helen

Andyroo
21-10-08, 11:38
...DOCTORS :scared15: ...

you should have seen me at te dentist i literatly walked in there looking like this----> :scared15:

mainly because i thought i was going to die from mouth cancer!!!! just leebee im a chicken :roflmao: (when it comes to seeing a doctor anyways:D )

anxious
21-10-08, 14:04
I feel sick just ringing the surgery. Hate it when i ask someone for reassurance and they say 'go to the doctors'

RosieXXX
21-10-08, 16:46
I dread going to the doctor too. I will only go if my anxiety absolutely gets the better of me by which time I am a complete wreck. Unfortunately, some doctors do not understand this condition, and that makes the whole thing even worse. The last time i went, i wasn't treated with much understanding, even though my doctor is aware of my condition; I hadn't seen him for many years, and felt he could have been more compassionate. Health anxiety is an illness in itself, and should be understood as such. From reading other posts it does sound like many of you do have caring doctors.