PDA

View Full Version : weird throat thing again

helen_1
21-10-08, 12:46
since july i have been getting tightness in my throat which goes into my chest as well well last night i kept waking up with the feeling that my tongue was going down my throat which made me choke and also there was some weird crunching sound in my throat too this is a really scarey feeling i also had the feeling that my throat was closing as well the doctor assures me it is globus but is it normal to hear a crunching more like a grating sound in the throat and for the tongue to nearly go down my throat it was everytime i drifted off to sleep i got that feeling so i had a bad nights sleep with it i have had in the past the feeling my throat was closing but after waking up once the feeling went away but last night this was everytime i fell asleep im just wondering if anyone else gets this as its a scarey thing to feel epecially the tongue going down my throat feeling

gtrgrl3369
21-10-08, 13:42
It is very normal to have this symptom with anxiety. It is horrible I know, I have been there and still get it every once in a while. The best advice I can give you is to not fight it and ride it out. The less scared you become of it the faster it will go away. I used to do deep breathing when I was laying down for bed and I would fall asleep without much problem. Please know that you can not swallow your tongue, no matter how scary it can get. Know that this is a symptom and it will go away. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluid as that will help with the throat feeling. Take care.

helen_1
22-10-08, 11:17
well i had another bad night with it again this is really scaring me now im really tired as well my doctor is away all week so i cant see him i really dont know what to do

Rebecca77
22-10-08, 13:01
Hi Helen,
I can kind of relate to the weird throat sensations, I have been suffering with it for a couple of months now, although slightly different to yours I understand how distressing it is because it is driving my anxiety through the roof.
With me I don't feel like i am going to swallow my tongue but sometimes my tongue feels too big for my mouth (weird I know). But my main symptoms are, I feel like there is a quivering sensation in my throat and there is cold air all the way down my windpipe to my chest, my throat also aches and feels like it is closing up.
I have been to the doctors loads about it and they have said it is a really common side of anxiety, the last doctor had a good look down my throat and said everything looked fine. Once my anxiety settles it should stop happening, so god knows when that will be as it is a major driving force in my anxiety.
Such a viscous circle!

Rebecca xx

helen_1
22-10-08, 21:40
well i wasnt going to go doctors as my gp isnt in all week but it got me so worried i decided to see another doctor instead good job i did because she seemed to really listen to me and she wasted no time in getting me a appointment to get a scan of the neck she also listened to me about weight loss i had suddenly she seems to think it might be something to do with my thyroid not certain for sure though because theres a history of thyroid disorders in my family my normal gp just kept putting all down to anxiety once i had a barium swollow and nothing showed up she siad doctors shoudnt really dismmis eveything down to anxiety especially if theres family history of things she likes to have people tested before saying its anxiety so i feel a little bit better knowing i am going to get a appointment for it and also shes orderd blood tests as well one for thyroiad and i forgot wot the other one is something to do with folic acid i think im still worried bout going to sleep because of the choking though but thank you for the replies and i will keep you updated xx

helen_1
27-11-08, 18:38
well the blood tests revealed nothing was wrong with my thyroid i had the neck scan 2 weeks ago but the results have not been sent to my gp yet the gp said if it was anything serious then they would of had them by now i just got to keep ringing to find out if they got them back im having a real bad time with my throat at the moment and im getting some weird chest pressure like tightness with it just when i thought i was getting better it always comes back but worser than the last time its a vicious cycle and im really hating having it its really making me depressed im jittery all the time as well and i am really fearing i am going to die from this like my throat and chest is going to close or collapse or something then i will suffocate to death i am really scared

helen_1
27-11-08, 18:40
and plus i am fearing going out now because of it when i know i have to go out i get into a right panic then my heart races i get severe butterflies feeling in my stomach too im petrified of this thing

pinkpiglet
27-11-08, 19:56
Is this crackling in your throat like 'popping candy'? Just sounds like something that I get, along with the tightening in the gullet, moving down into my chest. Not a great feeling but guess its all down to anxiety.

helen_1
27-11-08, 20:09
its like when u rub 2 stones together its hard to explain but if u rub 2 stones together thats the sound it makes and rick i have added u to msn mine is hhowkins@hotmail.co.uk it would be good to chat to people with the same thing